GAME OF THRONES SEASON 8--Final Run-- Part 5

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
It feels like there's 5 episodes of plot development missing from in between episodes three and five.

Did I really just see northmen killing unarmed soldiers and civilians just because Grey Worm went crazy? Like, were those former Bolton men, or what? Jon was right there and they just go in and slaughter people without even waiting for his command? What?

Joker

First Post
It feels like there's 5 episodes of plot development missing from in between episodes three and five.

Did I really just see northmen killing unarmed soldiers and civilians just because Grey Worm went crazy? Like, were those former Bolton men, or what? Jon was right there and they just go in and slaughter people without even waiting for his command? What?

Mob mentality is a powerful thing. Mob mentality after surviving the dead when half your friends and family didn't and after the people of King's Landing were sitting all warm and cozy is undoubtedly more powerful.
It's not like the Northmen have Unsullied-like discipline. A lot of them are probably still sore about Jon bending the knew to Dani and don't really give a rats proverbial about his honor.

No, that didn't bother me. It bothered in terms of the horror they were committing but I believed it.

I went into this episode with zero expectations after the last couple and in a way it allowed me to enjoy parts of this one that I wouldn't have if I had a more pessimistic mindset, as I did in the previous ones.
I really liked the visual of the whole spectacle. The raw power of the dragon tearing everything up (where is he getting all this fuel?). The sadness of the whole thing and how it could have been avoided.
The loss of such a tragic character as Sandor and his parting with one of the few people he cared about.
I even felt emotion at when Cercei and Jaime met and finally died.
And Varys too. This whole episode has been grand loss of tragic characters, not least of which Dani's hope of becoming a just ruler. If only she burned down the Red Keep when she first landed in Westeros. One dragon could just melt that and the Iron Throne and she would have broken the wheel like she promised.
Instead she got bad advice and no advice from Tyron and Varys respectively, causing massive losses, and people are surprised the coin landed on the wrong side.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So it turns out that it just takes one dragon to win everything. Dany could have flown to Westeros at any time in the last few years with just one of her three dragons and burned Kings Landing to the ground, and anywhere else she wanted to.

All that political chess, all those armies, the Dothraki, the North, the Unsullied, none of it mattered in the end. Just one dragon beats everything. It’s a nuclear weapon.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think the word is anti climatic. It's basically this seasons problem combined with the pacing.
Danys turn may have been a bit heavy handed but Morrus is right. She has been cruel for years it's just mostly the baddies.

Cleganebowl got a big send off and the Night King got a knife in back. Arya also probably got to much screen time. Cersei got sod all this season. Who cares about Euron.

Focus should have been more on Dany, Cerersei, Jon. Pacing and execution sigh.

Still think they should have sorted the politics out and had Night King be the big bad episode 5 or 6 with Kings Landing being that battle.

Plot twists and subverting expectations only go so far. Over do it and it becomes nothing really matters. Such as nuclear dragons.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

Yeah. That scene and Dany just deciding to burn all of the innocents like that just blew chunks. I mean, going all "Mad Queen" and hitting innocents while burning the enemy near the keep would be one thing. Just targeting the innocents with no enemy soldiers around was stupid.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I even felt emotion at when Cercei and Jaime met and finally died.

Oh, right. Let's just toss the whole prophecy out the window with that one. The least they could have done would have been to have him tenderly holding her neck while kissing her when they died, so at least she could have died with the younger brother's hands around her neck like the prophecy said.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah. That scene and Dany just deciding to burn all of the innocents like that just blew chunks. I mean, going all "Mad Queen" and hitting innocents while burning the enemy near the keep would be one thing. Just targeting the innocents with no enemy soldiers around was stupid.

She’s the Big Bad of the whole series. Not Cersei or the Night King. We’ve been watching her slowly become that over the years. It’s rushed a bit at the end here, but I’ve been expecting it for ages.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So it turns out that it just takes one dragon to win everything. Dany could have flown to Westeros at any time in the last few years with just one of her three dragons and burned Kings Landing to the ground, and anywhere else she wanted to.

Especially since there wouldn't have even been the ballistae to worry about.

All that political chess, all those armies, the Dothraki, the North, the Unsullied, none of it mattered in the end. Just one dragon beats everything. It’s a nuclear weapon.

Except for the rock Jon was hiding behind in episode 3. If they had just quarried that kind of rock for the walls and the keep, she would have been in trouble. ;)

Kaodi

Hero
It was interesting to watch but I am not sure it really makes a whole lot of sense. Like, I am halfway to thinking that the bells trigged psychosis like blinking lights trigger seizures.

Remove ads