Games Workshop And Cubicle 7 Announce Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play 4th Edition

While details are still forthcoming, Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announced today that Cubicle 7 will be publishing a fourth edition of the classic British role-playing game, Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play. The new edition will launch "later this year." The new edition will take direction from the first and second editions of the game rather than the third edition recently published by Fantasy Flight Games.

While details are still forthcoming, Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announced today that Cubicle 7 will be publishing a fourth edition of the classic British role-playing game, Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play. The new edition will launch "later this year." The new edition will take direction from the first and second editions of the game rather than the third edition recently published by Fantasy Flight Games.

According to Cubicle 7 CEO Dominic McDowall, "Like so many gamers I grew up on Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. It's an iconic setting and I'm thrilled to be working on this new edition of the game. Our team have a huge breadth of experience with Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, and I’m excited to be able to bring the Cubicle 7 approach to the Old World. We’ll be revealing more of our plans in the coming months, so subscribe to our newsletter and keep an eye on our website!"

More details will come as we learn them.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
Despite having created ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG - a Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay retroclone - I am in 100%.

I am hoping that Cubicle 7 brings the story back in time to the Age of Three Emperors, thrusts it into the fore of The End Times or shapes up a wilderness-style campaign that takes players to yet-unvisited places in previous supplements (Lustria comes to mind).

Banesfinger

Explorer
Not familiar with this . . .what's 30 second elevator pitch on why / how it's different than 5E, Pathfinder, etc?

HawaiiSteveO:
The world is much more dark & gritty than traditional RPGs. Magic can have dire consequences (both in flavor and through game mechanics). The game is famous for having a very robust "career path". E.g. a 'Rat Catcher' can graduate to a 'Soldier', then graduate to a 'Sargent at Arms' or flip careers to a 'Mercenary' or 'Demon Hunter', etc.

Von Ether

Legend
Not familiar with this . . .what's 30 second elevator pitch on why / how it's different than 5E, Pathfinder, etc?

This is coming from someone who hasn't played in a long time, so take it with a grain of salt.

It had a career-based system for character advancement (which if you added levels to it would later look like prestige classes), combat was deadly and assumed theater of the mind (you had a whole wargame if you liked minis.)

The world was very pulpy, "chaos is evil and corrupting" late Middle Ages/Early Renaissance where guns were just becoming a thing and witch hunters scoured the edges of civilization. Elves were even more dour and I don't remember even getting to play with them. Dwaves, though, dwarves were crazy tattooed- mohawk dudes that took on giants with relish. In fact, if that's your favorite version of a dwarf, you can thank GW for that.

Matt Harbison

First Post
I've never played WFRP, but love the 40K universe so with this new edition of WFRP I will definitely look at getting into it. I was holding off on older editions because of the buy in since there were already so many books.

With this announcement, I wonder if Cubicle 7 could eventually be doing a new 40K RPG down the road? Hmmmm.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Interesting. After my 5e campaign ends I'm thinking of running a different system. I've got the 2e books and the 1e core book and love the feel of them, 1e especially. I will have to keep an eye on this.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
I didnt find it pulpy at all ... hmmm maybe I dont understand what pulpy is ... it is Gothic & Epic
It was a dark grim world of europe with a twisted humor to it ... it has a lot of "flavor" that some might not like and things tend to Black & White but white doesnt mean good.

In ways, for new people to understand ... it inspired two Blizzard games and is like the parent to both.

Take WoW and paint it with Diablo 1 & 2 darkness ... and that is Warhammer. Its Blizzard's dark evil dad.

Shawn Carman

Explorer
I loved 1E, found 2E a bit too limited with its "there aren't any magic items" bit, and 3E was met with revolt by my gaming group so I never really got to run it, much to my chagrin.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I didnt find it pulpy at all ... hmmm maybe I dont understand what pulpy is ... it is Gothic & Epic
It was a dark grim world of europe with a twisted humor to it ... it has a lot of "flavor" that some might not like and things tend to Black & White but white doesnt mean good.

In ways, for new people to understand ... it inspired two Blizzard games and is like the parent to both.

Take WoW and paint it with Diablo 1 & 2 darkness ... and that is Warhammer. Its Blizzard's dark evil dad.

Pulpy as in dangerous magic, lots of evil cults, all kinds of chaos and madness encroaching on the world. More Howard or Lieber than Tolkien.

Zarithar

Adventurer
Cubicle 7 has been doing some amazing things lately I must say. Between this and the 5e LoTR stuff... It's pretty awesome.

Remove ads

Remove ads