• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gandalf

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I thought of the remembered mother toungue ... thought surging flame to help with the balrogs... but I like the heavenly heritage even better.

His ring for all he uses it is probably gives him fire resistance... it was one of the Elf rings. Do Balrog attacks do necrotic and fire?

I decided by picking Elven and Dwarven for his languages... we get along ways and I dont think its as important him racing across the battle field on Shadowfax. Although that could depend somewhat his talking with Giant Eagles and things could come up.... and he could still ride that celestial charger without using the mount abilities.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Melee training is another way to get the sword useable. but not having a blade based at-will?... is pretty wishy washy
considering... he went a long time between doing visibly magic stuff... I would feel more like gandalf with avengery
strikes and he made use of that horse to charge around the battle field a lot.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Glamdring Foe hammer as a bastard sword is also a little more Avenger friendly I think I will bring that over.. hmmm with good critical chances... a Dread Weapon enchantment might be interesting. Ravenclaw Warblade -??,
Glamdring all by itself was intimidating to the lesser foes he faught.

Last edited:

Turtlejay

First Post
No Swordmage love? Swordmage with Aegis of Shielding? Of course, he would lose some of his benefit from wielding a staff in the other hand, but it is freaking *Gandalf*. All of his ability scores are 18's, he has an Artifact ring of power, and is ultimately the most bitchin dude around.

When I get home to my character builder maybe I'll give it a shot. Swordmage or Swordmage/Wizard seem most likely to me.

Jay

here is an idea (needs work though...)

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Gandalf the Grey, level 16
Deva, Invoker|Swordmage, Wizard of the Spiral Tower
Covenant Manifestation: Manifestation of Wrath
Hybrid Invoker: Hybrid Invoker Fortitude
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid): Aegis of Shielding
Hybrid Talent: Swordmage Warding
Corellon's Implement: Orb

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 9, Con 14, Dex 11, Int 22, Wis 22, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 11.

AC: 30 Fort: 25 Reflex: 28 Will: 29
HP: 106 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 26

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +21, Insight +19, Intimidate +14, Arcana +19

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +8, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +9, Dungeoneering +14, Endurance +10, Heal +14, History +16, Nature +14, Perception +14, Stealth +8, Streetwise +9, Thievery +8, Athletics +7

FEATS
Learned Spellcaster: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Battle Intuition
Level 2: Hybrid Talent
Level 4: Intelligent Blademaster
Level 6: Focused Expertise (Longsword)
Level 8: Implement Expertise (staff)
Level 10: Learned Spellcaster
Level 11: Remembered Mother Tongue
Level 12: Greater Aegis of Shielding
Level 14: Danger Sense
Level 16: Paragon Defenses

POWERS
Hybrid Invoker at-will 1: Astral Wind
Hybrid Swordmage at-will 1: Luring Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Lightning's Revelation
Hybrid daily 1: Binding Invocation of Chains
Hybrid utility 2: Anticipate Maneuver
Hybrid encounter 3: Incendiary Sword
Hybrid daily 5: Enervating Slash
Hybrid utility 6: Unicorn's Touch
Hybrid encounter 7: Rain of Blood
Hybrid daily 9: Troll Rampage
Hybrid utility 10: Snap Out of It
Hybrid encounter 13: Silverlight Strike (replaces Lightning's Revelation)
Hybrid daily 15: Three Beacons of Twilight (replaces Binding Invocation of Chains)
Hybrid utility 16: Elemental Countermeasures

ITEMS
Feyweave Armor of Aegis Expansion +4, Staff of Light +3, Longsword of Summer +3, Brooch of Vitality +3
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
No Swordmage love? Swordmage with Aegis of Shielding? Of course, he would lose some of his benefit from wielding a staff in the other hand, but it is freaking *Gandalf*. All of his ability scores are 18's, he has an Artifact ring of power, and is ultimately the most bitchin dude around.

When I get home to my character builder maybe I'll give it a shot. Swordmage or Swordmage/Wizard seem most likely to me.

Jay

heh.... (all 18's - that doesnt seem at all necessary) Scrawny bow legged old codger types dont need 18 strength or Con... their wisdom an intellect is there power... there minds is where its at. Knowledge is power.

I did avenger both to get some Armor class sneaked in... but I made sure I got him some mounted combat.(changed it to mark of handling cause I could)

NOTE I am not using expertise feats out of protest ... they just arent flavorful and too generic.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Put his Celestial Charger on his Equipment list

[SIZE=-2][SIZE=-1]The Mearas - The Great Horses of Rohan[/SIZE][/SIZE]
horsey2.gif
[SIZE=-2][SIZE=-1]The most famous is Shadowfax, the leader of the Mearas during the Third Age (and the War of the Ring). Mearas are traditionally only able to be ridden by the kings of Rohan, but Shadowfax was given to Gandalf by Théoden, who managed to tame the unruly animal for himself. [/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=-2][SIZE=-1]The Mearas were brought to northern Middle-earth by the god Oromë, and one of their kind, a white horse named Felaróf, was later tamed by Eorl. [/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][SIZE=-1]Felaróf was found by Eorl’s father, who met his death when the horse threw him. Eorl managed to capture the horse and demanded its obedience as payment for his father’s death. Felaróf, who was capable of understanding human speech, agreed to the bargain. He and his descendants were from then on loyal to the kings of Rohan.

the above quote from
http://www.geocities.com/licia_north/horses.html
(sounds good anyway)

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
here is an idea (needs work though...)

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Gandalf the Grey, level 16
Deva, Invoker|Swordmage, Wizard of the Spiral Tower
Covenant Manifestation: Manifestation of Wrath
Hybrid Invoker: Hybrid Invoker Fortitude
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid): Aegis of Shielding
Hybrid Talent: Swordmage Warding
Corellon's Implement: Orb

I rather like Shield Mage element... and Orbs are big in the LOTR universe so there is some interesting bits in there...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
hmmm we might need some Cleric fan to build him Gandalf was certainly very Leaderly at some point in his life-times... perhaps when his name was “Olorin”

"in later days [Olorin] was the friend of all the Children of Illuvatar, and took pity on their sorrows; and those who listened to him awoke from despair and put away the imaginations of darkness"

-page 19 of the Silmarillion.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads