• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gandalf

Klaus

First Post
Melee training is another way to get the sword useable. but not having a blade based at-will?... is pretty wishy washy
considering... he went a long time between doing visibly magic stuff... I would feel more like gandalf with avengery
strikes and he made use of that horse to charge around the battle field a lot.
It's called Basic Attack. ;)

Seriously, the way I statted him up, Gandalf's Basic Attack is +16 to hit (against +14 of his staff-based powers), has a range of melee (unlike his other powers) and if he drops a foe to 0 hp he gets to spend a healing surge. That's quite some punch packed into his basic attack.

As for his ring, the "flame" of the ring is as much the flame of life as it is actual fire.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
It's called Basic Attack. ;)

Seriously, the way I statted him up, Gandalf's Basic Attack is +16 to hit (against +14 of his staff-based powers), has a range of melee (unlike his other powers) and if he drops a foe to 0 hp he gets to spend a healing surge. That's quite some punch packed into his basic attack.

Ah I see the use it again and again charging about ... does make the MBA nice style (kind of pictured him doing that). Not sure where you got your Ravenclaw Warblade Enchantment is it new? (battlefields might have lots of minions though so it could be eratic --).

Foe hammer kind of makes me think something to do some nice effect on a critical hit. Adamantine Weapon -- Bloodiron Weapon. or maybe a weapon with a fear attack would be cool... or which boosted the users Armor class against bloodied foes and minions ;-)

I do like the one big initial charge (whirlwind charge) and a noticeably better improved armor class (via a more appropriate source -- though I just noticed invoker defense could be nice in that arena too)--- the better hit points that an avenger hybrid gets... make the Avenger appropriate and appealing.

Having mark of handling is cool to represent (not just anyone could have tamed Shadowfax)... but having a series of charges that will work more consistantly (picturing him flitting about the battle is good) makes melee training a better option than the mounted combat. (benefits the opportunity attacks too) even with an avenger hybrid basis. I took Great Fortitude as well but I might trade that in even though it gave him balanced defenses.(so I can keep my Mark of Hanlding ).That could be the practicality trade I would prefer.. you convinced me on melee training.

Hmmm my Avenger hybrid gets a channel divinity of my choice.... hmmmm.

Gandalf lived amongst the elves as an elf (a life time or too ago)--- his name "gandalf" even means magic-elf or something similar so I am sticking with a Elf/Eladrin regional background for flavor.. though I considered the always practical Auspicious Birth.

Languages without pulling any Deva super language trick (Elven, Goblin, Dwarf)
Gandalf Storm Crow, level 11
Deva, Avenger|Invoker, Flame of Hope
Hybrid Avenger: Hybrid Avenger Reflex
Covenant Manifestation: Manifestation of Wrath
Hybrid Invoker: Hybrid Invoker Fortitude
Hybrid Talent: Armor of Faith
Background: Moonshae Isles (Moonshae Isles Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 14, Dex 12, Int 18, Wis 21, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 13.

AC: 25 Fort: 20 Reflex: 22 Will: 23
HP: 76 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 19

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +15, Nature +15, Insight +15, Arcana +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +6, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +7, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +7, Heal +10, History +11, Intimidate +7, Religion +11, Stealth +8, Streetwise +7, Thievery +6, Athletics +5

FEATS
Learned Spellcaster: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Learned Spellcaster
Level 2: Weapon Proficiency (Bastard sword)
Level 4: Melee Training (Wisdom)
Level 6: Hybrid Talent
Level 8: Battle Intuition
Level 10: Mark of Handling
Level 11: Heavenly Heritage

POWERS
Hybrid Avenger at-will 1: Bond of Retribution
Hybrid Invoker at-will 1: Divine Bolts
Hybrid encounter 1: Whirlwind Charge
Hybrid daily 1: Purging Flame
Hybrid utility 2: Loyal Sanction
Hybrid encounter 3: Symbol of the Broken Sword
Hybrid daily 5: Dance of Flame
Hybrid utility 6: Shield of Light
Hybrid encounter 7: Avenging Winds
Hybrid daily 9: Winds of Woe
Hybrid utility 10: Divine Renewal

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Holy Symbol, Ring of Fireblazing (paragon tier), Battle Staff +2, Elven Cloak +2, Enduring Spirit Vestments Githweave Armor +3, Sunblade Bastard sword +3, Rare Herbs (Nature), Spellbook, Celestial Charger
RITUALS
Animal Messenger, Banish Vermin, Comprehend Language, Simbul's Conversion, Pyrotechnics, Knock

Last edited:

Turtlejay

First Post
My somewhat unconventional approach:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Gandalf, level 6
Deva, Bard|Swordmage
Hybrid Bard: Hybrid Bard Will
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid): Aegis of Shielding
Hybrid Talent: Bardic Virtue
Bardic Virtue: Virtue of Valor
Background: Arcane Sentinel (+2 to Arcana)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 19, Wis 14, Cha 17.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 16.

AC: 18 Fort: 14 Reflex: 17 Will: 18
HP: 50 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
Insight +10, Dungeoneering +10, History +14, Arcana +14, Religion +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +7, Endurance +5, Heal +6, Intimidate +7, Nature +6, Perception +6, Stealth +4, Streetwise +7, Thievery +4, Athletics +3

FEATS
Divine Secretkeeper: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Divine Secretkeeper
Level 2: Focused Expertise (Longsword)
Level 4: Hybrid Talent
Level 6: Intelligent Blademaster

POWERS
Hybrid Bard at-will 1: Guiding Strike
Hybrid Swordmage at-will 1: Luring Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Inspiring Refrain
Hybrid daily 1: Verse of Triumph
Hybrid utility 2: Arcane Mutterings
Hybrid encounter 3: Sloth Strike
Hybrid daily 5: Enervating Slash
Hybrid utility 6: Glimpse the Future

ITEMS
Magic Staff +2, Flesh Seeker Longsword +2, Bloodthread Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1, Ring of Fearlessness (epic tier)
RITUALS
Steed Summons, Find the Path, Discern Lies, Cure Disease, Animal Friendship, Knock, Battlefield Elocution, Seek Rumor, Pyrotechnics, Endure Elements, Make Whole, Fastidiousness, Arcane Mark
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

I am tempted to go just straigh bard. Garthanos mentioned maybe making him up as a Cleric, because he was unarguably a Leader, and I looked at the leader class list. . .Arcane leaders are Bard and Artificer...

Stip away any goofy singing and Gandalf becomes a Loremaster, a story teller and motivator. Bards have weapon powers, and can boost the morale of allies. Gandalf was a Bard.

Also, I shied away from mounted combat and it's ilk, because it seemed to me that Shadowfax was a full partner in their relationship, not just a brainless mount. Maybe in gamist terms Gandalf would need the feat to be able to use advanced features, but I see it more like, Shadowfax only lets those he chooses to ride him. Anyone that rides him gains those features, regardless of feat taken.

I had to give him an Epic ring, too. A quick glance at the rings available kind of sold me on the one I chose. And Glamdring. . .any better ideas there? It was Precious, too...

Jay

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Nothing goofy about singing (The divine creation story for Middle Earth was a musical).

The bard is solid thinking... I am wierdly wondering what the swordmage is bringing in for this build... a better int based weapon at-will? Oh yeah ... Shielding smacks palm on forehead... that is nice protecting his allies and a protecting personality.

Battlefield tactics.
But I do see him dashing about the battle field on his charger less so standing front lines with the Aragorns / Borromirs and Glimlis... I do see him isolating and tangling with a single foeman (like balrog).

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
My somewhat unconventional approach:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Gandalf, level 6
Deva, Bard|Swordmage
Hybrid Bard: Hybrid Bard Will
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid): Aegis of Shielding
Hybrid Talent: Bardic Virtue
Bardic Virtue: Virtue of Valor
Background: Arcane Sentinel (+2 to Arcana)

Not sure how successful it is but cheers for taking on the challenge of level 6.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
And Glamdring. . .any better ideas there? It was Precious, too...

Jay

The weapon seems to have no mention of what it was capable aside from striking fear into the hearts of orcs that faced it (and giving off light)... so a powerful dangerous weapon is just about all we have to go on... describe it as shining with a pale light with its name in runes on it....
Give its bearer an intimidation bonus +3 against those of orcish/goblin heritage... and I am thinking any subtle effect that is unlikely to take center stage, but makes its a good killer. Well I guess sun blade isnt bad. (Glamdring glowed stronger after defeating a major enemy so the Ravenclaw Warblade?empassioning effect - is not implausible)

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Glamdring

Last edited:

Turtlejay

First Post
I looked through the CB for appropriate weapons, but 4e has kind of gone away from bonuses vs 1 type of enemy it seems. Maybe homebrew something, or add a property to radiant weapons that it glows when orc-kind are present.

I built a straight bard for him, and I don't like it. I'm not sure I like the Bard/Swordmage either. Not 100%. I like parts of it. Still musing over the available options.

Jay

Klaus

First Post
I looked through the CB for appropriate weapons, but 4e has kind of gone away from bonuses vs 1 type of enemy it seems. Maybe homebrew something, or add a property to radiant weapons that it glows when orc-kind are present.

I built a straight bard for him, and I don't like it. I'm not sure I like the Bard/Swordmage either. Not 100%. I like parts of it. Still musing over the available options.

Jay
Not quite. We have weapons that deal more damage to dragons (dragonbane, iirc), reptiles (scalebane) and even fey (cold iron). Just rule it as, say, a scalebane weapon and say that the additional damage is against goblins, orcs and trolls/ogres.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads