Gary Gygax has passed. RIP beloved father of RPG's. (merged)

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
I've been playing D&D since 1977, this makes me very sad.

RIP Gary, and thanks for being part of most of my life.

WampusCat43

Explorer
Thirty years ago, a young kid - just out of college, starting a new career in a new city, lonely - wandered into a local gaming store. Shopping through the various wargames, trying to find something he might enjoy by himself, he stumbled across a little red box.

Glancing through the booklets, he felt confused. "What kind of game is this," he thought. He boxed it back up, and looked around some more, but in the back of his mind, a voice whispered, "This one is different. This one will stay with you."

Thirty years later, I realize whose voice that was.

Thanks for all the opportunities to take my imagination out for a walk.

Ahwe Yahzhe

First Post
Thank you, Gary, for that little blue box of joy, and for the first adventures I ever played: The Keep on the Borderlands, getting TPKed in the Tomb of Horrors, and all the cool loot from Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. I know you're DMing a hell of game somewhere in Elysium or the Astral Plane!

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
This hits hard. What awful news. I'm saddened I never got to meet him in person. I did, however, get to converse with him here on these very message boards (and even managed to flame him before I was tipped as to who "Col_Pladoh" really was...hoo boy was my face red) and a few other internet haunts. I'm glad I got to thank him for what he gave us, and even more glad to find him to be a vital, active poster who still had plenty to talk about. I was tickled that he actually read a couple of books I recommended - The Peshawar Lancers (which he seemed to think was kind of meh) and The Wizard (by Gene Wolfe, which he felt deserved a spot on an updated version of the "recommended reading" list in the 1e DMG). His passing leaves a void in the gaming community and industry.

Last edited:

Remove ads