Gary Gygax has passed. RIP beloved father of RPG's. (merged)

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
I remember the first time I voyaged to the Keep on the Borderlands back in 1984, its been the first of my many voyages to other worlds opened by him. Gaming was always my refuge when the world got tough whether just working or while in graduate school. It taught me history, mythology, and quite a bit of mathematics. And its all due to Gary. Bye, you've been quite a influence on my life.

warlord

First Post
I don't know what to say. How can one say something about the man who created something that has been so much to so many people. RIP Gary Gygax.

Keldryn

Adventurer
I was shocked and deeply saddened to hear the news -- as I'm sure were most of the people here.

I'm glad that I had the chance to thank Gary in one of this Q&A threads here for creating the game that helped me get through high school. I was an incredibly introverted, shy, awkward kid, and playing D&D was instrumental in overcoming that shyness and being comfortable on social situations.

Thank-you for 22 years of fantastic gaming, Gary.

Agamon

Adventurer
This is a sad day. I'm just in shock, I don't know what to write here.

Thank you, Gary. You've touched my life in a way few people have, and for that, I'll be forever grateful.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I'm in late on this, but better late than never. Besides, I can't say any more than what scores of others have said before me in this thread. It's a little punch in the gut. It's a feeling of loss, and of celebration of someone who really lived his life as full as he possibly could.

I'd only met him a couple of times, gamed with him once, and talked with him numerous times on the 'net, but I feel like I've lost the irascible but loving grandpa of the family, the one who taught me to play poker in the clubhouse against mom's wishes. :)

Goodbye, Gary. We love you like crazy.

GameOgre

Adventurer
Lo, there do I see Gary.
Lo, there do I see My father the cleric, and my friend Tim the Thief.
Lo, there do I see The line of my people Back to the beginning.
'Lo, they do call to me, They bid me take my place among them.
At the Table of Valhalla Where the Gamer May live forever.

Imhotepthewise

Explorer
Rest in Peace, Gentle Author. Your brainchild has given me many hours of satisfying distraction. Prayers for your passing and comfort for your family.

Krypter

Explorer
The Outer Planes beckon, the Grand DM answers, and the greatest adventure awaits.

Thanks for opening up so many worlds of the imagination. Godspeed, Gary Gygax, and see you on the other side.

Remove ads