• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Geeking out today with the geek motherload!

Ahzad

Explorer
har har, just kidding.

I didn't expect you to go to that trouble but it looks real enough to me.

Note that a .rar on april 1 from a stranger tripps alarms, ya know?

true, but i couldn't figure out how to post the video w/o zipping it, but that's what they make AV scans for anyways. i'm not one for as warren ellis says mental amateur day :D

darjr

I crit!
I've consigned my self to permanent mental amateurishness, but I muddled through.

That's one heck of a find and I'm deeply jealous.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
The best part is that the guy only wanted $75 for it even after I told him what it was valued at!
Even if it is an April Fool's joke, I'm still impressed by your ethics (although I guess if it's a joke, they're only theoretical). Many people would have not only not told the kid the value, but would have crowed about how they took him to the cleaners because he should've known better. Good for you. If it's a real buy, good for you on that, too.

Ahzad

Explorer
Even if it is an April Fool's joke, I'm still impressed by your ethics (although I guess if it's a joke, they're only theoretical). Many people would have not only not told the kid the value, but would have crowed about how they took him to the cleaners because he should've known better. Good for you. If it's a real buy, good for you on that, too.

i try to let folks know straight up what they have when they bring something into the store, and then let them give me a price. i usually will ask if they are sure they are comfortable with the amount b/c i want them to leave happy, not feeling that they were taken advantage of. sometimes there's some negotiations, and if that means we can't reach a deal then so be it, but at least i was honest and upfront, which is what i want them to remember when they come in to the store. in this case the guy was older didn't mess with computers so didn't want to sell the stuff online, even though i told him he could've made some more money. he was happy with the money b/c otherwise like he said it probably would've went back into the closet until he died and his kids found it.

darjr

I crit!
I hate doing this, but I think I'd better.

Have you verified they are genuine?

googling around because of your thread I stumbled over a bunch of posts on how to recreate the OD&D box sets and the books. Mostly it was stuff that in no way could be mistaken for the real thing except at a distance, but I've seen plenty of scams that would have taken me in.

Ahzad

Explorer
I hate doing this, but I think I'd better.

Have you verified they are genuine?

googling around because of your thread I stumbled over a bunch of posts on how to recreate the OD&D box sets and the books. Mostly it was stuff that in no way could be mistaken for the real thing except at a distance, but I've seen plenty of scams that would have taken me in.

yea they are geniune, the acaeum has a pretty good guide in helping to determine what printings the stuff is, and i spent some time on the site yesterday with the guy showing him what he had before i bought the stuff. plus it's with it's original shipping box from TSR, which i thought was really cool, along with a catalog for the dungeon hobby shop, and ads for Gen Con in kenosha WI in 1978, and subscription forms for The Dragon, and Little Wars, and some original dice.

for those that are curious the box set is the 5th printing, grehawk is a 4th print, blackmoor is a 2nd print, eldritch wizardy & gods, demi-gods & heroes are 1st prints.

it would've been sweet if they were all 1st prints :D but it's cool to check this stuff out, and see all the references to hobbits, ents, balrogs, to see the robert e howard mythos and the elric mythos. freakin' holy swords of +5 made a paladin immune to magic, now it's been a long time since i played 1st edition but i don't remember them doing that, and now i'm not a home to pull the book off the shelf to take a look.

Haltherrion

First Post
That picture sure brings back memories. I never had the original three books (my friends and I xerox'd them without any consideration for copyright) but I still keep the greyhawk book around nostalgic reasons. Think I still have the Gods & Demigods booklet too.

And those dice... finally chucked the old ones (not sure why, wish I hadn't). I used to have one of those old d20s, inked for 10s and 20s that had worn irregularly and tended to roll 20s. It was always good to threaten the players with that die. You couldn't roll it without another flake coming off it. Which brings back another memory: they great innovation "high impact dice" where you had to wax the 10s and 20s.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
i got me a crappy phone, but i'll try to accommodate you :D

so i shot a crappy video of me at the store opening up and flipping through the stuff that i got today.

That is a truly awesome find, and I am glad they landed finally in the hands of someone who can appreciate them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads