• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[GenCon] "(more) Road Construction News!" (Scouting and Info Within)

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Yeah, that sounds like they went a little long on the fancy and a little short on the practical. I'll hold off on adding that link to the first thread, though, until it is open so people don't miss all of these details in your two posts.

Coik

First Post
Mark said:
Thanks JoelF and Coik (How ya been? ) I've updated the first post to reflect the change.

Kinda meh. Could be a little better, could be a lot worse sorta thing. You?

Originally posted by Duvall
As an aside, the site makes use of Flash. The home page is entirely Flash with no way to get past it and its kind of slow to load. For you dial-up users, here's a direct link to the Indy Registration page which will save you some wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Teh Intraweb gives a whole new meaning to the term "flash bastard," neh? Even the lightning-quick computers here on campus choke and struggle on that Flash. Honestly, if they have spare money to throw at Gen Con, I say use it to hire a few more people to work the lines and mebbie give them some actual training...

Last edited:

Mark

Coik said:

Bout the same. :)

Coik said:
I say use it to hire a few more people to work the lines and mebbie give them some actual training...

They can only squeeze 25,000 people through a funnel, so quickly. I think they did a pretty good job last year, and I heard very few complaints either there or on the boards afterward. Were you there last year to see how the new team handled things?

Last edited:

Duvall

First Post
CaptainCalico said:
The Flash is more than a bit much. It takes a while to load at work, and I could knit a sweater in the time it would take to load at home (and I can't knit!). I sent an email to customerservice@gencon.com , asking them to tone it down a bit, or at least provide some sort of bypass.

(It certainly looks nice, but it is not very practical, especially for the traffic they should be expecting......)

Oddly enough I did the same thing...lol.

I also pointed out that I was sure the actual event would be great. I don't think anyone there is incompetent, but sometimes people go overboard on making things look pretty, rather than functional. Easy trap to fall into.

Mark

It seems to be open for registration and it also looks like they toned down the flash stuff. :)

Coik

First Post
Mark said:
It seems to be open for registration and it also looks like they toned down the flash stuff. :)

Thank gawdess.

This system wasn't too bad. I just wish they had given us an opportunity to create the profile they wanted before hand, so we didn't have to do it as we logged in...

They can only squeeze 25,000 people through a funnel, so quickly. I think they did a pretty good job last year, and I heard very few complaints either there or on the boards afterward. Were you there last year to see how the new team handled things?

Yeah. Now that I think of it, my complant really wasn't with the quality of the workers...much improved over the last time I went to events (which was 2000). My complant stems more from the lack of a prereg book, necessitating lengthy delays in getting tickets because everyone has to spend 10-15 minutes looking through the on-site book (which you weren't allowed a copy of, near as I could tell) to get the event numbers and whatnot, because they weren't provided in the online guide WotC had. So change my complant to "If they have extra money, put it in a prereg book." :)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Pant, pant - the hotel I wanted had space. By the time I finished my application, the space had sold out! Yeeks, I hate that.

But I got another hotel, and all is well with the world. :D

Mark

Coik said:
My complant stems more from the lack of a prereg book, necessitating lengthy delays in getting tickets because everyone has to spend 10-15 minutes looking through the on-site book (which you weren't allowed a copy of, near as I could tell) to get the event numbers and whatnot, because they weren't provided in the online guide WotC had. So change my complant to "If they have extra money, put it in a prereg book." :)

Yeah, the lack of a prereg book was a pain. I guess the deal, selling Gencon to PA from WotC, caused that mainly, from what I heard. Hopefully everyone will get one this year, and in plenty of time to make good use of it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads