• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Generation: rolling vs. point buy

how do you generate characters?

• Roll their stats

Votes: 110 37.9%
  • Point buy

Votes: 151 52.1%
  • Other

Votes: 29 10.0%

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
Testament said:
Wait, wait, wait. When you're talking Organic generation Al, you're forcing them to pick race and class first?
I don't think Al is advocating that... I hope? What he is probably pointing to is the alternate method of ability score generation within the DMG called the "Organic" method. It is one of a number of alternate methods designed to address specific issues.

"Organic" requires the 6 stats to be generated in order with 4d6, one is then rerolled and finally two are swapped. This method generally creates non-typical characters that still have good core abilities. The reroll can eliminate the low score in a critical ability but because this is done before the swap you need to think carefully.

E.g. a sample Paladin
str15 dex7 con10 int16 wis16 cha12
Likely you will want to swap int with cha and reroll the dex for the following:
str15 dex11 con10 int12 wis16 cha16

Inevitably this method does have an impact on how the character will be developed and played and so may not be popular. Otoh if the players are bored with the lack of surprise that can eventuate with total control, this method shakes things up with a bit of the unknown.

Thanee

First Post
The organic method actually works quite well, unless you really want that total control, of course. We used that once without the re-roll, just one swap (didn't know the DMG method by then). :)

Bye
Thanee

Dracomeander

First Post
After playing in several diffrent campaigns using both methods, I intensely dislike the point buy method.

From my experiences, the point buy systems tend to produce "cookie cutter" characters where the combat-oriented characters have spent nearly all their points on the three physical stats and the spell casters spend on the casting attribute and constitution and thats about all the variance there is.

Also, point buy tends to favor the basic single-classed characters rather heavily. A multi-classed character is penalized enough without having to fight being behind the curve with repect to attributes.

One of the basic premises of the game is based on a fallacy that the point buy method promotes. The ability to emulate the fictional character of the common man put into extraordinary cirumstances and not only surviving but thriving. The common man who survives extraordinary circumstances generally just wants to go back to his common life. The man who thrives in extraordinary circumstances was never common in the first place. He merely had a common background.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Dracomeander said:
Also, point buy tends to favor the basic single-classed characters rather heavily. A multi-classed character is penalized enough without having to fight being behind the curve with repect to attributes.
Rolling would give you sufficient stats but point-buy doesn't? If true, that's a problem with the number of points your DM gives you, not with the point-buy system.

Lasher Dragon

First Post
Nowadays we almost always do point buy, usually in the 38-40 point range. Sometimes if it's a silly one-shot or if we are just messing around we will roll stats, 4d6 rerolling 1's and with the option of rerolling doubles. :lol:

Dracomeander

First Post
Darkness said:
Rolling would give you sufficient stats but point-buy doesn't? If true, that's a problem with the number of points your DM gives you, not with the point-buy system.

That is comparing to the standard point buy totals of 25 and 28 as suggested in the book for Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms repectively.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Dracomeander said:
That is comparing to the standard point buy totals of 25 and 28 as suggested in the book for Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms repectively.
Rolling would give you sufficient stats but point-buy doesn't? If true, that's a problem with the number of points your DM gives you, not with the point-buy system. ;)

How high are these stats you need, and do you get them when rolling? With what system?

Bad Paper

First Post
Thanee said:
HERE in the House Rules forum, there are a few alternate ability generation methods written up.

nifty. I never get over to that there HR forum. "Rules" keeps me busy enough.

I am honestly surprised at the results of the poll: point-buy is more popular. I'm surprised because I had never even considered it for our games. I thought it was just something people did for tournaments.

I'm now involved in a few campaigns of people who have either never played, or who haven't played in 15-20 years (like me). We had no exposure to point-buy (I don't think it even existed in AD&D v. 1). Maybe I'll start allowing point-buys (as DM), but I don't think we'll go over a 27pb. Frankly, I like it when characters have to struggle with a bad stat, like the rogue without charisma, or the gnome without any meaningful strength (though she solved that one by being reincarnated as a half-orc). When PCs have to cope with a single-digit constitution score, they get creative.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads