• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Gentle Repose and Spell Casting Foci

Simonb1

Explorer
Hello all,

I was reading the spell description for Gentle Repose, and noting that the spell needs a specific component, a copper piece per eye, or eye socket if missing an eye, or the spell stops working.

I have two questions for your perusal.

A) Are the copper coins magically held in place?

B) Could you use a Foci along with the copper coins to cast the spell?

Thank you

Simon

If I have forgotten anything also, please raise it. Including any similar spells.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Technically using a focus obviates the need for material components. If you don't need to use coins to cast the spell, then obviously you don't need to place them anywhere in particular.

Harzel

Adventurer
Technically using a focus obviates the need for material components. If you don't need to use coins to cast the spell, then obviously you don't need to place them anywhere in particular.

Unless you were to rule that two copper pieces inherently cost 2cp, and therefore the description indicates a cost for those components, making them ineligible to be replaced by a spellcasting focus or component pouch.

EDIT: Not that I would particularly recommend that ruling.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Unless you were to rule that two copper pieces inherently cost 2cp, and therefore the description indicates a cost for those components, making them ineligible to be replaced by a spellcasting focus or component pouch.

EDIT: Not that I would particularly recommend that ruling.

Actually I think that's a very good ruling. I actually like that the spell requires the copper pieces to remain on the subject's eyes.

ramesh11

First Post
Hey there all,

I have 2 inquiries for your examination.

I read the spell summary for gentle repose D&D guide here you can go dnnguide.com, as well as keep in mind that the spell requires a details part, a copper item each eye, or eye outlet if missing out on an eye, or the spell quits working.

A) Are the copper coins amazingly kept in location?

B) Could you utilize a Foci together with the copper coins to cast the spell?

Thanks

Simon

If I have actually neglected anything additionally, please increase it. Consisting of any kind of comparable spells.
My ans is:
Technically making use of an emphasis anticipates the demand for product parts. If you do not have to utilize coins to cast the spell, after that clearly you do not have to position them throughout certain.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
A) Are the copper coins amazingly kept in location?
Nothing in the spell suggests that they are, rather the opposite I would say.

B) Could you utilize a Foci together with the copper coins to cast the spell?
If your DM rules that the copper pieces have no value, then all you need is a focus, you can skip the copper. If your DM rules that they do have a value, then you need them and a focus will not help you. I don't think there is a situation where you would use both a focus and a material component here.

Coroc

Hero
What is odd is that this spell as far as I understand to conserve a body from decomposing and increase timespan for resurrection.
But IRL dead people did get coins on their eyes, sometimes in their mouth, the purpose was to pay the ferryman across the Styx river so absolutely contrary to the in game use, because as far as common lore goes the river Styx is the eternal border and once a dead person has crossed it, it is dead for good.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
What is odd is that this spell as far as I understand to conserve a body from decomposing and increase timespan for resurrection.
But IRL dead people did get coins on their eyes, sometimes in their mouth, the purpose was to pay the ferryman across the Styx river so absolutely contrary to the in game use, because as far as common lore goes the river Styx is the eternal border and once a dead person has crossed it, it is dead for good.

https://www.quora.com/When-a-person-is-dead-do-we-need-to-place-coins-over-the-corpses-eyes

Simonb1

Explorer
Hi all,

No, but it seemed to me, to be implicit in the spell description.

Under spell components, it says that if the coins are removed that the spell ends.

Also would you want to risk annoying a god?

Remove ads