D&D 5E Get The Vecna Dossier Free At D&D Beyond

WotC is offering a free product which you can claim by signing into D&D Beyond, including Vecna’s 5E statistics. The dossier includes the stat block plus a half page or so of lore. Vecna's stat block is a CR 26 undead wizard, prior to the fallen paladin (and former bodyguard to the lich) Kas's betrayal. That means he still has his hand and eye, although he is a time traveller and can appear...

WotC is offering a free product which you can claim by signing into D&D Beyond, including Vecna’s 5E statistics.

The dossier includes the stat block plus a half page or so of lore. Vecna's stat block is a CR 26 undead wizard, prior to the fallen paladin (and former bodyguard to the lich) Kas's betrayal. That means he still has his hand and eye, although he is a time traveller and can appear in different worlds and eras.

87B34E29-DBB2-431B-8175-68D2BF94F8EF.jpeg

The archlich Vecna is one of the most iconic villains of Dungeons & Dragons lore. And now you can bear witness to his necromantic magic with the Vecna Dossier! Available at no cost with your D&D Beyond account, this thrilling supplement details the legacy and statistics of the Undying King himself!

This claim unlocks the contents of this promotional supplement for use with D&D Beyond, including the supplement in digital format in the game compendium and in the searchable listings, character builder, encounters, and digital sheet.

Yes, he only needs to see it. He doesn't need to see it casting. Subtle spell has not impact on his counterspell
Actually, no. The spell Counterspell has never worked against Subtle Spell, and the wording for Vecna's version is the same to Counterspell.
The English language is wonderful in many ways, but sometimes, I wish it only had one way to say something.

Counterspell: Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you see a creature within 60 feet of you casting a spell
Dread Counterspell: Vecna utters a dread word to interrupt a creature he can see that is casting a spell.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Actually, no. The spell Counterspell has never worked against Subtle Spell, and the wording for Vecna's version is the same to Counterspell.
The English language is wonderful in many ways, but sometimes, I wish it only had one way to say something.

Counterspell: Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you see a creature within 60 feet of you casting a spell
Dread Counterspell: Vecna utters a dread word to interrupt a creature he can see that is casting a spell.
Vecna's is different - that's the point.

It doesn't have the range requirement AND it doesn't require he know a spell is being cast.

Vecna's is different - that's the point.

It doesn't have the range requirement AND it doesn't require he know a spell is being cast.
The range part I am not arguing. What I am arguing is that when the English is parsed correctly, the actual spell Counterspell and the writeup for Venca mean precisely the same thing.

The range part I am not arguing. What I am arguing is that when the English is parsed correctly, the actual spell Counterspell and the writeup for Venca mean precisely the same thing.
The difference is automatically identifies any spell that is cast. It says that Vecna is able to ascertain the spellcaster's ability as well. He has a special kind of non-defined site that specifically allows him to understand any magic that is cast as it is cast.

The difference is automatically identifies any spell that is cast. It says that Vecna is able to ascertain the spellcaster's ability as well. He has a special kind of non-defined site that specifically allows him to understand any magic that is cast as it is cast.
He has Truesight per the block. Nowhere in the block does he have some special sight to do what you are describing. Now, SHOULD he? Yes, of course. But per the block, the language is clear. This has the same trigger conditions as Counterspell.

kapars

Adventurer
And it is instantly counterspelled. Full 80 hp healing.

I don't see it. Vecna can reliably punish Igg with 116 DPR (68 with her save, though she is not proficient in it she does have advantage on the save and LR). While Vecna has resistance to most of her attacks, has proficiency in the saves she targets, 5 LR, more hit points, and can reliably regenerate 80 hp/ round. Since Igg can only reliably inflict about 36 DPR against Vecna, she is not going to be able to get through his regeneration on a pure damage basis. What could be an issue for Vecna is her add on abilities / conditions. However, Vecna has good saves versus her actions (needs to roll a 10 at worst) and has 5 auto saves in his pocket. I actually think Vecna destroys Igg in a 1 v 1. She is not built for that fight. The one wild card is wish.
I confused his immunities and didn’t see the resistances, my bad. Chill Touch I meant in the context of subtle spell, quickened spell suggested earlier up.

Reynard

Legend
I disagree. They are different abilities so you read them independently. Dread Counterspell is an ability that very clearly states what it does and is not dependent on the counterspell spell in any way.

Remove ads

Remove ads