Getting a Green dragon out of a lake of acid

drnuncheon

Explorer
Go in after it. When the DM claims you take damage, tell him that a green dragon's breath weapon is chlorine gas, and therefore the lake is no more dangerous than a swimming pool.

J
...what? It might work...

kenjib

First Post
Point 1: It's not just acid, it's water mixed with acid, right? Would a fire elemental really be safe in there?
Point 2: Trying to boil down around 30,000+ cubic feet of water by having a fire elemental stand on a shield will take a long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long time. I doubt he can really raise the average temperature of the water at the bottom of the pool much either.
Point 3: Is the dragon just going to sit there while you hook him with a slow-trolling grappling hook, instead of...say...moving out of the way?

I agree with Thanee that you should wait for him to come out. Divert the waterfall from above, if possible, and he can't get out via the river outlet either. The only way for him to leave the pool is to come out via land or air and in both cases is vulnerable to attack.

Ozmar

First Post
Waiting for the dragon will probably take longer than it needs to fully recover. Dragons don't need to eat regularly, and can fast for very long periods. In fact, according to the Draconomicon, they can subsist solely on a diet of dirt and rocks (although they prefer fresh meat or tasty gemstones).

I'd actually be more worried about it flying away. Do you have the resources to cast a net over the surface of the lake? If you could contain the dragon, then you could arrange to deal with it in time.

How deep was that lake? For 50gp and some change, you could purchase a potion of enlarge person, and then use a polearm (20 foot reach) to probe the bottom of the pool?

How much damage are you taking from exposure to the acid? If its 5 points or less per round, then a lower-level protection potion could be all you need to wade in and finish the job.

Ozmar the Dragon Slayer

AnthonyJ

First Post
Well, obviously, a protection from acid spell and a water breathing spell would be sufficient. You don't have the money for that, though.

I frankly have doubt that the dragon could make the pool that acidic, but it's not my game, so obviously the DMs call rules.

The obvious solution is to drain the pool. You're going to want to do that anyway, since it's toxic and it's unlikely that the nixies want it downstream regardless. Realistically, you could probably do it with a big copper cauldron, though it's going to be very time consuming, since there's around a thousand tons of liquid in that pool (which is why it's unlikely that the dragon could make the pool that acidic).

Remove ads