Getting PDFs printed

Reynard

Legend
EDIT FOR CLARITY: I am talking about totally legally purchased PDFs that I would like hardcopies of.

I have some game books on PDF I would like to get spiral bound printed, but I am not sure which place (brick and mortar or online) are good. I know that some folks have had some trouble with places claiming they can't print due to copyright issues.

I am in CT, USA if it is relevant.

Last edited:

1sickPuppy

First Post
Practically it is illegal to reprint copywrited material. But if you know they printer guy, they may do it for you! Don't you have a digital printing shop near where you live?

Hex08

Hero
I've had PDFs printed at my local Office Max. Always quick, print while you wait service, so I don't have to wait for anything to be shipped to me. Once there was a minor binding error, the book was still useful, but when they caught it they printed me another full color version (my original was just B&W) and let me keep both but just charged for the original, cheaper one.

Deeds

First Post
I'm fairly confident you can get personal copies of PDFs printed on lulu.com (though for what it's worth, I've found getting the cover image set up to be a real pain).
Has lulu worked for you? I was going to print some items I purchased from OneBookStore (DriveThru), these items do not have a POD option from the seller

for clarication, I am just trying to make personal copy of legally purchased pdf

but lulu has two things which indicate it may not permitted; neither are directly applicable, but imply that lulu will not reprint 3rd party works even for a personal non-commercial copy (which may be permitted under local law):

Can I use an image if I do not intend to sell my work?​

Lulu is a strong supporter of copyright laws and does not allow the publication of intellectual property without permission from the original creator - regardless of whether the work is for your sole use or is intended for sale to others.

Can I publish or print fanfiction with Lulu?​

No. At present, any profit made off fanfiction is considered copyright violation, and as a strong supporter of copyright law, Lulu will remove fanfiction content reported as violating the intellectual property rights of others. Even just printing a personal copy for yourself counts as copyright violation - Lulu, our printers, and our material suppliers are making a profit off these copyrighted works, even if the project creator is not.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Has lulu worked for you? I was going to print some items I purchased from OneBookStore (DriveThru), these items do not have a POD option from the seller

for clarication, I am just trying to make personal copy of legally purchased pdf
That's what I've done as well: printing personal copies of game books which have no print option. So far I've done this for two books (the Everquest II Spell Guide and Ivid the Undying, the latter using a fan-made PDF of the original RTF file which WotC released on their website for free). The former has already arrived, and the latter book is currently in the mail.

When you start a new project (i.e. tell them you want them to print something for you), they ask you if it's for personal use or publishing to sell; I've always said for personal use, and they haven't instituted any other oversight as to whether or not I owned the work in question or the images used (for example, the covers; I had to grab a generic Everquest image to use as the back cover for the Spell Guide). Even when I asked someone on their site for help with an issue I was having, no one suggested that there was any sort of problem in that regard.

What was more of an issue was the actual process. I ran into numerous problems, though in hindsight almost all of them were relatively easy to solve, e.g. being told that the PDF I'd uploaded had "fonts which were not embedded" was solved by doing doing a "print" option for the PDF, and selecting the print-to-PDF option; apparently that embeds fonts.

The single largest issue I faced in both cases, however, were the covers. I never used Lulu's cover templates, instead electing to upload custom covers, and in every case it was a chore. You have to upload a PDF of both covers as a single file, and it must be sized correctly for the book that you're printing. For someone with very few file-manipulation skills such as myself, and no real programs in that regard, it was quite cumbersome; fortunately there are plenty of websites that do this sort of thing for free, but finding the cover images I wanted (usually in JPG format), tailoring how they looked in MS Paint (yes, I'm that technologically challenged), putting them side-by-side in a single file, turning it into a PDF, and then resizing it to what lulu wanted (typically listed in millimeters), was a multi-step process that was monstrously hard the first time, but got much easier later on.

Also, if you want to have anything on the spine of your book, you'll need to look at lulu's preview of the cover and then figure out how to free-hand that onto your combined covers file (or at least, I did).

If that all sounds like too much effort to go through, I'll also say that getting the books printed was absolutely worthwhile, and I'm looking forward to receiving the second one in the mail. Having print books that no one else has is quite something!

Alby87

Adventurer
Had same discussion in an italian forum because I'm in Italy... and yes. Speaking of legally bought PDFs from DriveThruRpg or similar, a copy shop pratically kicked me away trough the front door in fearing of not respecting the copyright laws, and another did a wonderful job of printing the book.

So... depends. In Italy it seems that a grey area: you legally can not anything of this, but a personal copy of a legally bought PDF should give no problem to you nor the copy shop. And it's a pity, because you can buy a lot of legal PDFs, and if not printing to so much to buy a Laser Printer, it should be easier to print them.

And, to add to this quote, consider a lot of Europe customer of major POD services have to wait months for custom checks and paying more for VATs and Custom Duties, it's not convenient at all to buy printed copy from outside the EU.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I've had PDFs printed at my local Office Max. Always quick, print while you wait service, so I don't have to wait for anything to be shipped to me. Once there was a minor binding error, the book was still useful, but when they caught it they printed me another full color version (my original was just B&W) and let me keep both but just charged for the original, cheaper one.
Ive done this too. I printed off a couple hundred battletech mech sheets for my binder. Office Max was same day. B&W double sided I think ran me about 20 bucks.

Otherwise, I use my office printer but I keep that on the DL. ;)

Remove ads