• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Getting Your Comrade's Body from the Ocean Floor

Infiniti2000

First Post
I hope this is the right forum (not Rules). Last Saturday we lost a party member to a kraken and have reason to believe that the kraken did not eat her and merely dropped the body (which sank to the ocean floor, about 2 thousand feet). Our objective is to recover the body so that we can raise her (the player like her character and doesn't want to roll up a new one). We have an arcane archer, monk, barbarian, wizard, and cleric (with various PrCs). Obviously, only the wizard and the cleric (me) have the means to go get the body. So, I'm looking for confirmation on our plan or perhaps any other ideas. We have access to most, if not all, WotC books and the Mongoose (I believe) books on sea adventuring. The wizard is 11th level and the cleric is 12th (but with a negative level). Our boat's anchor will not reach bottom and we have to rest the night (it is early evening) to regain spells. We also have it on good authority that more kraken inhabit the bottom of the ocean.

Plan: The wizard and the cleric go to get the body. The wizard will cast:
invisibility sphere
fly (x2)

The cleric will cast:
freedom of movement (x2) (houseruled that you can fly through water with FoM)
water breathing
silence (last 'buff' spell, cast on a rock, but many prepared)
visage of the deity (for darkvision)

There will be other buffs, obviously, just in case (e.g. bear's endurance, etc.). The wizard does not have darkvision, so visage of the deity seems to be our only hope. Obviously, we have an array of light spells, but we're trying not to attract attention. Once we get to the body, the cleric uses secure corpse and we will teleport back to the ship (special area setup a while ago, or perhaps dim door a few times).

Anything I'm missing? Any other spells to use (probably only cleric will come to mind, 'cause the wizard's list is limited). I had considered lesser planar ally, but I cannot specify the creature to show up (though ideas on what could show up are appreciated).

Thanks. :)

mafisto

First Post
I'm not sure what spell you would use, but the pressure would kill both PCs at 2,000 feet. Maybe something that converts your body to an impervious substance, or maybe something that simply creates a protective shell around them.

Voadam

Legend
Ask the DM if there are pressure issues.

Scry, teleport down, grab the body, silent teleport back (or some other method to cast the underwater teleport) seems the way I'd go. Assuming your DM allows scry to work on a dead person.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Why bother with all that? Just summon an oceanic creature to go retrieve the body. Celestial dolphin, squid, whatever. The kraken are unlikely to bother with such a small morsel, I would think.

Me, I'd say just water breathing would let you survive the depth as well unless it specifically says it does not.

If you want to get picky about it, the invisibility sphere isn't going to help you; kraken are going to feel your movements in the water or 'scent' you rather than see you, as will anything else at that depth.

Alensande

First Post
I heartily agree with keeping it quick via teleport if you can (avoids environment issues and wandering monsters).
You are going to need some method to locate the body or whatever parts are left (scrying if allowed, locate object once you're down, etc.). You might also ask whatever resident sea-going expert you have available what the closest currents are to suggest where the body might have traveled (if your DM gets that complex *grin*).
There are also temperature issues, if your DM brings them up; 2000 feet down the ocean is COLD.
You might look less at buffs and more at protective spells (like sanctuary).
Also, remember that creatures that live in the deep ocean often cannot see shorter wavelengths of light very well; carrying a red light of some sort with you might be enough to allow you to see without becoming visible to everything in the ocean.
Make absolutely sure you can find your ship when you are done (since you can't anchor)...the teleport/dim door concept comes in very handy here.

Andor

First Post
You defintely need some way to locate the body. Finding a body in the ocean makes finding a needle in a hay stack seem like childs play. Personally I'd think you'r best bet is to find a local aquatic intelligence (Mermen, Sea elves, Locanth), equip them with a locator spell and hire them to get it for you.

Rabelais

First Post
I agree... the summon spell would probably work the best. Especially If you could somehow extend the spell long enough for the celestial *insert swimming thing here* to get the body back to the surface.

Remove ads