GF9 is updating the D&D 5E SPELL CARDS

The spellbook cards from Gale Force 9 were generally positively received, but they did have their fair share of criticism. Gale Force 9 has heard that criticism, and is updating the cards. The new ones have rounded corners, and a concentration notation, which were the two main complaints about the cards. These new cards should be headed to stores right about now. Finally, tow missing spells have been added, and small add-on packs will contain archetype cards. (Thanks to Jeremy for the scoop).

Here's GF9 on the new cards:

Hey everyone,

The new versions of the cards should be making their way to stores now.

To answer some of your questions, These cards will have a large C (in a coloured diamond) in the duration field to denote spells that require concentration.

The easiest way to identify the new cards also relates to one of the issues people had, the sharp corners. The updated cards will have lovely rounded corners on them.

In regards to ritual tags, you'll find that ritual spells have always been labelled as such. On each card, directly underneath the spell's name, is a line that reads, "1st-level divination (ritual)" to use Detect Magic as an example.

Finally, the two spells that were missing (Destructive wave for Paladins, and Mislead for Arcane casters) have been put back in their rightful place.

And in some exciting news. We've heard the complaints from people who are disappointed that archetype cards are missing from the decks (Light Cleric's Fireball etc.) so we are currently looking at ways that we can produce small, add-on packs that will contain these cards.

Spellbook-cleric-Cover.jpg

Zander

Explorer
I had a bad experience buying through GF9 (Battlefront).

I'm not a lawyer but this sounds like an open and shut case of breach of contract.

In England & Wales, you can always return remotely purchased items you don't want (barring certain legally stipulated restrictions) within a cooling off period. But even if you're in the US or elsewhere, the contractual terms were clearly set out by you. If they didn't accept them, they should simply have refused the sale and returned your money. They can't take your money and send you the wrong item. Moreover, they can't claim that any dispute is between you and their supplier or the product's publisher. Your contract is with whoever you paid, not with their supply chain.

I don't know what the process is in the US under these circumstances, but in England & Wales, you could take them to Small Claims Court. Is there something similar in the US?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I had a bad experience buying through GF9 (Battlefront). I e-mailed them about my order, placed 8 February, and asked them to hold it until they could fulfill with the revised printings, and they wrote back to say that the updated decks were expected in "late March or early April", and that my order would ship then.

But the next day, they sent me a copy of the original, uncorrected Arcane deck. I wrote back to say that it wasn't what I'd ordered, and asked how I could return it... and then asked again when they hadn't replied after three days.

Their reply, a week after I'd first asked, mostly just confused me:

So I wrote again:

Their reply of this morning:

So please be aware that if you order now through Flames of War (the Battlefront online store, which also handles orders from GF9's web site) you may receive uncorrected cards and may not be able to return them. Caveat emptor.

(Me, I've written to ask Battlefront to cancel the rest of my order and will be taking matters up with my credit-card company.)

Yowzers.

I had a bad experience buying through GF9 (Battlefront). I e-mailed them about my order, placed 8 February, and asked them to hold it until they could fulfill with the revised printings, and they wrote back to say that the updated decks were expected in "late March or early April", and that my order would ship then.

But the next day, they sent me a copy of the original, uncorrected Arcane deck. I wrote back to say that it wasn't what I'd ordered, and asked how I could return it... and then asked again when they hadn't replied after three days.

Their reply, a week after I'd first asked, mostly just confused me:

So I wrote again:

Their reply of this morning:

So please be aware that if you order now through Flames of War (the Battlefront online store, which also handles orders from GF9's web site) you may receive uncorrected cards and may not be able to return them. Caveat emptor.

(Me, I've written to ask Battlefront to cancel the rest of my order and will be taking matters up with my credit-card company.)

That's pretty bad. It seems like the person replying to you just doesn't understand what you're trying to explain. Either that or their version of customer service is very different to what I expect out of customer service! In either case I think taking it up with your credit card company is probably the best route.

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
Great product in theory but really... didn't think concentration would be useful to know? Seriously, that's grade school stuff.

Especially when you consider how much time WOTC put into revising statblock layout of things like spells, monsters and magic items (with the help of Paizo at times, in the magazines) during 3e > 3.5e > 4e > Essentials. Standardizing info to make these rule REFERENCE books useful is kinda like Job #1, you'd think, and that should obviously spill over to licensed product being held to similarly high standards.

cest le vie

transtemporal

Explorer
Especially when you consider how much time WOTC put into revising statblock layout of things like spells, monsters and magic items (with the help of Paizo at times, in the magazines) during 3e > 3.5e > 4e > Essentials. Standardizing info to make these rule REFERENCE books useful is kinda like Job #1, you'd think, and that should obviously spill over to licensed product being held to similarly high standards.

To a certain extent, the edition doesn't matter - spells have attributes and they are quantifiable. It would take us 10 minutes to define the attributes of spells for 5e and the values those attributes can have. It boggles my mind that people can produce products for a game and not pay attention to those very fundamental things.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases