• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Giving the arcane gish an identity.

Weiley31

Legend
The thing with the 5E "Gish" is the fact that it's "there" but it's pretty much spread out over multiple aspects within 5E itself: Namely via the Eldritch Knight Fighter, Forge Adept Artificer, Valor Bard, Hexblade Warlock, and the (Tashas) Bladesinger Wizard. Of those, a number of people/posters have mentioned that the Forge Adept Artificer (okay okay I hear you all official book only peeps grumbling in the background) is perhaps the closest thing to the concept in 5E. At least it's a whole lot more closer compared to the others.

The Eldritch Knight fits the Duskblade more and gets the ability to spell/attack, but sadly near the end of its progression. Same with the Valor Bard as well. However, a lot of people agree that the Tashas Bladesinger Extra Attack change is better and fits the Sword in hand and magic casting concept of the Gish, even if its a Cantrip. So updating the Eldritch Knight/Valor Bard to do that would be a fix for sure. The Hexblade would feel like a Gish and its Hex Warrior feature feels in line with that, but the only sucky part is that your dealing with Warlock Spell slot limits.

Funny enough, in regards the Duskblades' Spell Strike feature, well believe it or not it does exist in some form within 5E: Via the Matt Mercer Blood Hunter's Order of The Profane Soul subclass. It is a 11th level feature(IIRC) called Diabolic Channel and it works exactly like the 3.0/3.5 Duskblade's Arcane Channel feature. Note: The Updated 2020 version of the Blood Hunter doesn't have it anymore in the Order of Profane Soul subclass features. So keep that in mind when looking it up.

Link posted for simplicity.

And also in regards the Duskblade: Lore wise they use a bastardized version of Bladesinging. So The Duskblade overlapping the Bladesinger somewhat is on point in regards to that.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
There's always the O.G. sword mage. You know, the wizard with the sword. That's right, I'm talking about Gandalf & Glamdring.

1624996475365.png
1624996626260.png

In one of my favorite scenes of the movies, he appears to use Glamdring to absorb a lightning strike, and channel it into the Balrog.
1624996712456.png

So maybe Gandalf is the Iconic Gish we're looking for?

Undrave

Legend

see

Pedantic Grognard
Leaving aside the association with magic, replacing a term with essentially the same term but French doesn't feel like a fix, so much as giving the Francophone world another reason to snicker.
The guy complained English didn't have a single-word equivalent of "sleight of hand"; I provided two (both are quite explicitly defined as "slight of hand" in the OED).

Now, sure, both stolen from the French and then modified a bit, but, well, stealing vocabulary is what English does. "Manual" and "dexterity" were both stolen from French, too.

Yora

Legend
I feel being a wizard is something that you do in addition to your primary profession.
There's sage-wizard, knight-wizards, thief-wizards, and so on.

Remove ads