D&D 5E Giving the arcane gish an identity.

Stormonu

Legend
I'm not sure that's an option either, since gish is such a broad mechanical concept. The subclasses need to both provide the bulk of the mechanics and the bulk of the story - and you need a ton of options outside of that.

Imagine trying to build a warlock class, except you need to include prepared, spellbook, and known spells variants as well, with each having a choice of spell lists.
Well, I got it to work to my satisfaction for my homebrew, but others can judge how much of a "story" the class has. I posted my homebrew thoughts a few posts prior.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
For example, letting loose a GWM/GWF greatsword Green Flame Blade
...is mostly the feats talking, not the EK talking. You're conflating "a character who spent 2 feats to do a thing" with "a character's baseline capabilities." The two aren't the same, and you'll get divergent results if you act as though they are. Same applies to GWF+Fey Touched. If sinking two feats (out of the maximum 9 you can possibly have, if you're a 19th-level Fighter and got a feat from your race) didn't make you do fairly well at the core function those feats provide....then those feats would be really bad feats, and you shouldn't have taken them.

This baffles me? Why wouldn’t the DM let the player have their choice if it has no mechanical effect? But I agree reflavoring can’t be the ultimate answer
Oh, it baffles me too, but there are an awful lot of people who will get very irate about players doing anything even remotely like this. If I had to guess, it's because doing this verges on DM power: describing the nature of the world. That, along with most other player-positive approaches, is lumped into "player entitlement," and thus anathema.

TheOneGargoyle

Explorer
I think of all the options currently available the Artificer is by far the best at representing what I'm looking for so far.

I even think if there was a Tasha's option to swap out certain class abilities like it did with the ranger it would be a good chassis.

Change "Magical Tinkering" to a bonus cantrip or a weapon ribbon ability.
Change "Tools Required" to "Weapons Required".
Change "Infuse Item" to something akin to maneuvers but explicitly magical that may or may not spend a spell slot.
Add a few weapon-focused subclasses.
Change "The Right Tool for the Job" into another weapon ribbon.
Change "Tool Expertise" into...well, you get the point.

The Artificer has 11 subclass abilities and of those two (Spellcasting and Flash of Genius) are not based around magic items (what I'd refer to as gadgeteering but I understand some folks might not.) Now I do think if you build specifically for being a melee combatant and you reflavor all your magic item stuff as martial technique stuff and maybe grab a feat for a Fighting Style you'd be able to make a pretty good Swordmage for sure. Just as I think reflavoring a specific Paladin build could make a good swordmage or reflavoring a Ranger could make a good Arcane Archer.
My major thoughts, though, are that if it were codified as a class it would open up a new it will open up new thought-processes for subclass design and fill out more options from there.

Now, I do understand people worried about class bloat and I will say that I am usually in the "more options=better" category for the sake of building options to make an idea come to life. I'll start worrying about class bloat when we exceed...let's say 16 classes.

My initial thought was no way basing anything on Artificer/Battle Smith as it's thematically all wrong, but I'm starting to come around to agreeing with you and Cap'n Kobold that using it as a starting point might be the most expedient way to get something close to what we want to play mechanically.

So maybe the approach is we copy-n-paste the Artificer/Battle Smith into an empty new class shell and then swap out / refluff all the gear-related stuff into arcane fighting stuff instead.

Pros of this approach are: Basic Artificer chassis has most of the things you'd want on a gish: d8 HD, prof with medium armor & shields, Int & Con Saves, most of the skills you'd want, and is an Arcane half-caster with cantrips, ritual casting and it's own dedicated spell list. Battle Smith adds most of the rest with proficiency with martial weapons, Int for atk/dmg, Extra Attack and bonus magic dmg on wpn attacks.

Cons of this approach are: The major gear-focus of the class needs some serious class feature swapping in order to really reflect the martial/magic core concept we're looking for. Healing & support spells on the artificer lists would need swapping out. We'd be taking a base class + subclass and turning that into a base class which we'd presumably want subclasses for ... so would need careful balancing.

I like the starting list Tinker started above. Maybe we double-down on that ?

An artificer subclass with subclass spells drawn from the paladin/ranger strike spell lists, extra attack, and no robo dog would definitely be a reasonable option. Maybe with teleport based subclass features.

Still a long way from the spellstriking arcane gish of prior editions. I'd probably still pick and reflavour hexblade, paladin, or ranger over it though. The infusion and tinkering stuff is extremely mechanically overpowering.

As a conceptual question, do people see this class as focusing on using a single weapon (one or two-handed), or do they think that dual-wielding (and channelling spells through both weapons) has a place in it?

Lycurgon

Adventurer
Personally I think "A studious pursuer of martial and magical techniques and how to combine them" is a good enough story to base a class on. Further flavour can be added with subclasses.

There are enough fans to the Archetype since 1e and before, that it deserves to be a class of its own. WotC know it is a popular concept which is why they have continued to make subclasses that play to that theme. But I and obviously many others (based on the number of forum threads and numerous Homebrew attempts on DMGuild and elsewhere on the net) have found all of them to be unsatisfactory so far, for one reason or another.
Personally it is my preferred play style to have a magically enhanced warrior. So I would love a good class to put it off well.

Unfortunately I don't think WotC will make one because they are reluctant to add base classes this edition. So homebrew is probably the best we will get.

Also I love stabnerd as a replacement for Gish. Obviously not as a class name but as an expression of the concept.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I think that adding a few lines to the Eldritch Knight's Weapon Bond would be a good start:

1 - The Bonded Weapon can be used as a spell focus.
2 - As an Action on your turn, you can cast a Cantrip you know with a spell casting time of 1 Action and that requires an attack roll by imbuing your bonded weapon. Make a single attack with that weapon using the range of the Bonded weapon instead of the cantrip's. If that attack hits, all attack rolls for the imbued cantrip hit the target automatically and are considered part of the single weapon attack. The target takes weapon damage, and is subject to the effects of the cantrip.

7 - When you use the Attack action, you can cast one of your cantrips in place of one of the attacks.

Tinker-TDC

Explorer
My initial thought was no way basing anything on Artificer/Battle Smith as it's thematically all wrong, but I'm starting to come around to agreeing with you and Cap'n Kobold that using it as a starting point might be the most expedient way to get something close to what we want to play mechanically.

So maybe the approach is we copy-n-paste the Artificer/Battle Smith into an empty new class shell and then swap out / refluff all the gear-related stuff into arcane fighting stuff instead.

Pros of this approach are: Basic Artificer chassis has most of the things you'd want on a gish: d8 HD, prof with medium armor & shields, Int & Con Saves, most of the skills you'd want, and is an Arcane half-caster with cantrips, ritual casting and it's own dedicated spell list. Battle Smith adds most of the rest with proficiency with martial weapons, Int for atk/dmg, Extra Attack and bonus magic dmg on wpn attacks.

Cons of this approach are: The major gear-focus of the class needs some serious class feature swapping in order to really reflect the martial/magic core concept we're looking for. Healing & support spells on the artificer lists would need swapping out. We'd be taking a base class + subclass and turning that into a base class which we'd presumably want subclasses for ... so would need careful balancing.

I like the starting list Tinker started above. Maybe we double-down on that ?
I think taking the base chassis, customizing the spell list, and then using the subclasses for combat styles (a sword and board, great weapons, dual-wielder, and arcane archer probably to start, adding in different armor methods like an unarmored defense for the Jedi type or a heavy armor proficiency for the Elder Scrolls type) would mostly be able to get things across. I might even say give it custom cantrips that work in concert with multiattack for imbuing spells, though that's probably better as a class ability.

Looking at the Artificer Infusions it seems like a lot of things that they do are just cool things that a magical swordsman could do using their supernatural skill. Upside is you don't need an item, downside is you can only use on self, not an ally. Examples:
Armor that replaces limbs.
Increased speed.
Increased Strength.
Bonus action Teleportation.
Bonus to spell attack rolls.
Ability to ignore cover.
Bonus to weapon attack rolls.
Bonus to AC.
Advantage on Initiative.
Cannot be surprised.
Increased CON.
Weapon produces light.
You have a friendly homonculus.
Ignore the loading property.
Weapon creates its own magical ammunition.
Shield pushes back enemies.
Resistance to a damage type.
A thrown weapon returns to your hand after being thrown.

Looks like a bunch of cool magic warrior stuff to me as long as it's decoupled from being based on having a magic item.

As a conceptual question, do people see this class as focusing on using a single weapon (one or two-handed), or do they think that dual-wielding (and channelling spells through both weapons) has a place in it?
With the way the spells via weapon attacks are implemented, two weapon fighting might struggle with action economy.

The blade cantrips allow one attack, followed by the effect of the cantrip. So this could allow a second weapon

The spells like searing smite and ensnaring strike require a bonus action to cast, and then allow the full number of attacks. The spell goes off when one attack hits.

A mixture of levelled spells following both formula would probably be best. Keeping two weapon fighting and a weapon in one hand on even ground. However the 4e swordmage did have a focus on a weapon in one hand. But keeping it open for people to build how they want is always nice. Someone might want a two handed weapon, or even a ranged weapon.

Remove ads