Gloomhaven RPG Crowdfunder Hits $1M In First Hours

Miniatures, a new boardgame edition, and an RPG.

Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 12.03.41 AM.png

Not that it was a surprise, with nearly 70,000 pre-launch followers, but the crowdfunding campaign for the Gloomhaven RPG, miniatures, and more hit a million dollars in the first few hours. It's billed as the 'Gloomhaven Grand Festival' and is for a new edition of the boardgame, a ton of miniatures, and an RPG.

For $30 you get the RPG core rulebook, for $130 you get the second edition of the boardgame, for $325 you get the full set of miniatures, and for $550 you get everything.

The current record holder for a TTRPG crowdfunding campaign is Avatar Legends: The Roleplaying Game from Magpie Games. So far, Gloomhaven has had a better first day than that campaign. Could it break Avatar's record of $9.53M?

AndromedaRPG

Explorer
I looked at it yesterday and wasn't sure you could even run the RPG without the cards in the deluxe set. Or are the cards the same from the board game and if I have that I use those?

Plus looks like the RPG has a long fulfillment time. I was excited, but now just in a wait and see what other info comes out.
I looked at the FAQ...the cards (different than the board game ones) are required.

For me, no PDF, custom cards required ($50 + the book pledge), and long lead time, I'm unlikely to back (which is a shame, I love the world, just prefer PDF and dice for my RPGs)

Dire Bare

Legend
I looked at the FAQ...the cards (different than the board game ones) are required.

For me, no PDF, custom cards required ($50 + the book pledge), and long lead time, I'm unlikely to back (which is a shame, I love the world, just prefer PDF and dice for my RPGs)
Huh, you're right!

Cards are required, but yet there are pledge levels without the cards. I have a feeling that's going to trip some folks up during the campaign . . . .

I probably wasn't going to pick up the RPG anyway, but . . . that's a definite "no purchase" for me!

AndromedaRPG

Explorer
Huh, you're right!

Cards are required, but yet there are pledge levels without the cards. I have a feeling that's going to trip some folks up during the campaign . . . .

I probably wasn't going to pick up the RPG anyway, but . . . that's a definite "no purchase" for me!
I'm guessing they want people to just get the deluxe box instead (cost the same as buying the books, cards, and screen à la carte).

Dire Bare

Legend
I'm guessing they want people to just get the deluxe box instead (cost the same as buying the books, cards, and screen à la carte).
Certainly, if I did want to purchase the RPG, the deluxe box makes the most sense.

Then why offer the book alone, if you need the cards?

Probably, they want a low cost tier to draw folks in, but . . . . folks who pledge at that tier, for the book alone, and then can't play the game without the cards . . . are going to be grumpy customers.

TrickyDUK2

Explorer
Certainly, if I did want to purchase the RPG, the deluxe box makes the most sense.

Then why offer the book alone, if you need the cards?

Probably, they want a low cost tier to draw folks in, but . . . . folks who pledge at that tier, for the book alone, and then can't play the game without the cards . . . are going to be grumpy customers.
Maybe they think there are people who just want the book for the art and lore as an extension of board game.

CapnZapp

Legend
Meh. They could do that by posting a blank page with the word "gloomhaven" on it.......
They basically have. Just a pretty picture.

Anyways, whatever you think about their marketing, being able to shift $1.4M in less than a day is perhaps amazing, but what it is not is amazingly bad.

Remove ads

Remove ads