Gnome druid build

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
I'm rolling up a (3.0) gnome druid for a new campaign. He's third level. With his low strength, I definitely don't picture him being much of combatant, at least until he can wild shape. I'll probably end up taking at least one item creation feat, but will most likely hold out for Craft Wand. What are some good ideas for feats? I can use core rules and WoTC splat books, but could probably argue my way into using feats from other books if they're not too overpowered.

Dulda
Male Gnome Druid 3
Neutral Good

Str: 10
Dex: 14
Con: 18
Int: 16
Wis: 17
Cha: 10

I don't quite remember the name, but there are druid feats that let you cast spells while Wild Shaped, I guess that can come in handy. With that, you'll probably also need the Eschew Material feat, since, in Wild Shape, you won't have access to your spell component pouch anymore...

Before taking the Craft Wand feat, do you have any particular ideas of what type of wands you'll be crafting? Sometimes you're better off with scribe scroll, since it offers more flexibility, IMO.

Since your AC will quite likely suck a bit, Dodge is always helpful, and Improved initiative is a no brainer.

There were a couple of gnome feats in a Dragon issue, lemme dig that out for you... Magically Adept lets you swap the 3 cantrips gnomes get for any cantrip or druidic orison (prereq Int 10, druid orisons taken are considered arcane spells); Scathing Wit lets you make verbal attacks at someone (you need a good Intimidate tho), Bend Spell lets you ignore an enemy's cover with your spell (+1 LA)... That's about it.

Hope this helps, and good luck

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
IMO you would be better served by Scribe Scroll than Craft Wand. Druids have a number of spells that are superb in just the right circumstance by not flexible enough to bother memorizing on most days. Scrolls will give you lots of options without breaking the bank.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Have you considered the Shifter? One of my players had a gnome druid that took Shifter. It was a fun character (for him and me).

Last edited:

Felix

Explorer
Natural Spell is what you're thinking of for casting while Wild Shaped, and you don't need Eschew Materials for it: it isn't a metamagic feat, it's a [Wild] feat.

If you're going to refrainf from entering combat you could always go Spell Focus (something).

If you do Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, your wildshape into a Wolf would be quite effective... but that's a ways away.

Speaks

First Post
Based on the numbers you posted the druid could be a good combat monster assuming the correct shape. I think the scribe scroll might work better then craft wand in the long run. Your hit points will be good with the high con and many of the animal forms will help out with the weak strength.
Natural spell is cool but useful around sixth level and when you hit 8th I think large animal like brown bears and dire apes will be good also to help make the gnome combat worthy.
I have looked at dwarf druid build high con decent strength and good wisdom assuming later in the character life the animal forms would be the choice of combat mode. Feats like power attack and combat reflexs for when you can do large and huge creatures could help out but you might need to switch around a few stats to get the high strength if you wished for like power attack.
As always improved init is always useful.

Speaks

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
Okay, I'll admit it. The Craft Wand idea came from reading the recent flame blade thread and imagining a druid using a wand of flame blade like a lightsaber. ;) Probably not worth it from a powergaming perspective, but definitely sounds fun.

I'll agree that scribe scroll would probably be more useful. Glancing through the spell list, I can see a lot of spells that would be critical every now and then, but not worth constantly memorizing.

Natural Spell doesn't require Eschew Materials, but you can't use material components unless you can use them with your new form. Not all that bad when you wildshape into a monkey, but qute the hassle if you whildshape into a banana slug. Certainly worth considering.

I like the concept of a gnomish druid who gets along well with animals, but neither Tamer of Beasts nor Animal Lord give decent spellcasting progression. Anyone know of any PrCs that give full or close to full progression and give some neat animal bonuses?

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
Eschew Materials is a bit of a waste of time for druids.

If you plough through the spellbook, you'll discover that very few of the druidic spells actually require material components...

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I'd consider lowering your dex and increasing something else (like charisma or con) if you can. You ARE going to suck in frontline combat until you can wildshape, and once you wildshape, your natural dex doesn't mean a thing.

Remove ads