D&D 3E/3.5 Gnome Poll

Have you ever house ruled gnomes out of a game?

• No way, I love the little guys!

Votes: 46 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • I haven't needed to, nobody's ever wanted to play a gnome.

Votes: 19 16.5%

Tallifer

Hero
The best Gnomes are Cookie Gnomes followed by Garden Gnomes. My games are full of them.

brownie berserker.jpg

Thats actually not quite accurate.

I have houseruled paracelsian gnomes INTO the game. The other gnomes are still around but i dont call them gnomes. They are not gnomes. They have ancestors that are gnomes but the things people usually call gnomes are not. They are very diluted. In my campaign they are to earth elementals what aasimar, tieflings, and elves are to full celestials, demons (in my campaigns tieflings are diluted demons not devils), and aelfr (the most common full fey ancestor of elves in my campaigns). As you can gather from context, when paracelsus invented the word "gnome" he was refering to a type of earth elemental.

True gnomes in my campaign are all male (as per the original) but have female non-gnome counterparts (also as per the original)

The diluted variant is renamed to "motes". The adjective is "motish". They are also all male. They can breed with humans dwarves and elves. The offspring is always either a pure male or female of the mother's race or a pure male of the motish race.

In closing, alchemy is weird but fun.

aco175

Legend
Since this is a 3e thread, I voted to keep them and had never voted against them. I recall playing several gnomes in 3e- mostly thieves and mages. It seems that Wizards did something with them in 4e and it continues to 5e where they are are more overlooked now. They do not have a very defined role since the time when everyone can now cast magic. Halflings fill the small sneaky roll and dwarves fill the fighter roll, leaving them with illusionist. Nobody in my game has played one since 3e.

Richards

Legend
Gnomes have been popular in my group's 3.5 campaigns. My son's currently running Binkadink Dundernoggin, a 19th-level gnome fighter who's the party tank (despite his three-foot size, he's a deadly menace with his magic glaive) and rides a jackalope steed into battle. In another campaign run by that very same son, a different player's running Cramer Appleknocker, a 7th-level gnome cleric of Fharlanghn. And in a previous campaign, I set the PCs up against a gnome lich named Toofles Pigwilligan in two adventures (since they failed to destroy his phylactery the first time around) - and in another adventure, their entire Adventurers Guild was almost permanently taken down by an evil gnome baker, Pogo Snuffmuffin.

So yeah, I love gnomes. They're more than welcome in my campaigns. (Halflings, on the other hand....)

Johnathan

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I'm really not down with the popular super-goofy naming conventions for gnomes either. I think it needlessly reinforces the comic relief aspect. That's fine if that's what you want to play, but it's not the only way to play a gnome. Whimsical naming I'm ok with, super-goofy is right out. Just a personal taste thing.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Wow.. this necro is pushing limits of even true resurrection.

I have houseruled out gnomes for settings where there are no gnomes. Other than that, no.

I having nothing against gnomes, in general... at least up until a purple-haired one slaps on some aviator goggles WoW-style, hops in an apparatus of kwalish, and starts "hijinks".

At that point, it's time to fumigate.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases