D&D 5E Go Go Gadget Arm! Eberron Preview

WotC just shared this Arcane Propulsion Arm! It functions as a 1d8-dmaage magic melee weapon which you can throw (don't worry, it flies back and reattaches).

WotC just shared this Arcane Propulsion Arm! It functions as a 1d8-dmaage magic melee weapon which you can throw (don't worry, it flies back and reattaches).

A495C7DA-0EB8-4086-A0E9-7BB005BE3943.jpeg

Coroc

Hero
Cannot be removed against the will of the wielder .... What if wielder is unconscious?

So after misty step and summonable warlock blade this is another item where a dm can never disarm / bind / lock up PCs using mundane means.
what if someone casts regeneration on the player? Does it need a save? What if player fails it?

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
That is not a thing you can say without explanation.
I doesn't sound like it's going to be an accident LOL
My Barbarian is currently in possession of a cursed axe somewhat similar to a Berserker Axe. This has been trying for the party especially lately, and more importantly being dominated by the axe goes against his Chaotic ideals of Freedom.

With no access to a Remove Curse spell and being unable to willingly part with the axe he's going to try to part with himself and keep a bit of himself on the axe.

He's a pretty reckless fellow after all.

MarkB

Legend
There's also a regular prosthetic that just eats an attunement slot. Wish it didn't, but if 5e had better injury rules it would be an easy way to say "This setting has more advanced magic and so can treat something that would otherwise take a 7th level spell to do!"
On the bright side, it does at least only count as one attunement slot no matter how many limbs you replace.

Could definitely do with something more interesting for legs, though.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I suppose. I'd actually forgotten about the lingering injuries option, to be honest.

Plot and character makes sense, of course, but given the abstract nature of D&D's entire system, I don't see many one-armed characters currently sitting around waiting for a prosthetic.

And even within Eberron, it would be an interesting choice to deny magical healing for the chance at a prosthetic. I mean, characters do what characters do, but it seems an odd thing to desire given the other options generally available.
It takes very powerful magical healing to get a limb back.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
It takes very powerful magical healing to get a limb back.
It takes powerful magic to overcome optional rules that most of us never use. In the standard setup, there's no such thing as dismemberment unless for some reason everyone decides it happened. Nothing in the rules says that cure wounds won't regenerate a lost limb.

Now, the implication is there, since regeneration specifies it restores limbs and cure wounds doesn't. But since only vorpal weapons and other, similar specific effects dismember a character in the first place, it's unlikely to even come up except in a pretty brutal campaign.

Remove ads

Remove ads