Going Nuclear:1D&D

mamba

Legend
Ironically, the guy with the Patrick Bateman avatar is trying to gaslight me into looking like the cynical and unsympathetic one.
well, you clearly are not showing any sympathy
Can't we just assume we're dealing with reasonable people and not assume the people who disagree with us must feel that way because they don't care about others?
yeah, you care, in a general kinda viby way, but since it does not affect you directly (being a 3pp) or indirectly (using 3pp products) you ultimately care so little that it has no impact on you, not even to the point of not seeing a movie or not buying a book (which as far as impacts go is absolute minimal).

You do you, I am sure you can point out way worse things where all of us should care more, so I am not really blaming you for the attitude. I do however feel that you cannot claim empathy towards anyone here.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I will never understand the drive of people who see a discussion about people being upset and affected, knowing people's livelihoods are in danger, their children might go hungry... and decide this is the best time and place to loudly trumpet how little they care for those people's plights.

For real. “I don’t like the OGL so nobody should be able to have D&D” is a terrible take.
I mean aren't there people here wishing 1D&D to fail and WotC to go out of buisness... so that sounds like "If I can't have my D&D you shouldn't get NEW D&D"
I also remember plenty of edition wars (2 to 3, 3 to 3.5 3.5 to 4, pf to4 and both pf and 4 to 5th) where the general look is that everyone just wants there one version to be THE version of D&D

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I mean aren't there people here wishing 1D&D to fail and WotC to go out of buisness... so that sounds like "If I can't have my D&D you shouldn't get NEW D&D"
I also remember plenty of edition wars (2 to 3, 3 to 3.5 3.5 to 4, pf to4 and both pf and 4 to 5th) where the general look is that everyone just wants there one version to be THE version of D&D
It's true for a lot of folks. I divorced my thinking that D&D is TTRPG. Instead I came around to its one game (admittedly the most popular) in an entire ecosystem. I no longer care if D&D is my preferential game, because I have plenty of alternatives to choose from. However, now D&D is taking shots at many alternatives and creators, so I have to care what D&D is doing now.

halfling rogue

Explorer
The last WotC book I purchased was Saltmarsh.

I don't care how others view it, but I didn't like the ideology they were imposing and it grew worse with every release. In my opinion "5.5" began with Revamped and Tasha. That was the end for me with WotC, but it also was easy to see that the direction they were drifting was the same as any corporation kowtowing to the Zeitgeist, which is to say--regardless of whatever ideology they were pumping--it was easy to see that they didn't care about their product, their community, their base, the game, their history, nothing. Corporations don't have souls. They only care about revenue.

I don't buy the hype of backwards compatibility with 2014 5e. They lie to sell. It's just what corporations who care more for money than people and their product do. The OGL 1.1 isn't a surprise in the least (especially if you had eyes in your head during the 4e transition). I see it as a logical outcome of the direction they've been trending. Oh, they finally hit that brick wall they've been careening towards this entire time. No way.

The only surprising bit for me is how fast it happened. I figured it'd happen in the next iteration.

Anyway I hope WotC/Hasbro D&D goes up in flames over this and never recovers. More power to the players and the creators and other companies.

Fair enough.

If you don't care about all the people hit in the pocket book by this and the general cynical monetization of our hobby as a whole, that's your prerogative.

Nobody can force you to care about others, be it directly or indirectly. If all you care about is official products by WOTC and literally nothing else, yeah, I can see how this would all be just noise.
For me, it's the fact that this situation has so dominated this forum that nearly every other thread is about it, and is leaking into a lot of other threads. I get that it's of great importance to many people, but it is a bit overwhelming if you just want to read and talk about other things.

All hobbies are monetized.
That strikes me as an overly broad generalization. Literally, all hobbies? Playing chess? Yodeling? Skipping rocks?
I don't know anyone that skipps rocks as a hobby so I can't speak to that... but chess and yodeling yes.
people make tons selling not just chess but slight variant 'skins' of chess... they have huge tournaments for money, they are almost like MtG that way

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I don't know anyone that skipps rocks as a hobby so I can't speak to that... but chess and yodeling yes.
people make tons selling not just chess but slight variant 'skins' of chess... they have huge tournaments for money, they are almost like MtG that way
I suppose this is the part where we get into the weeds over what constitutes "monetization." Does having the occasional tournament count if there's a cash prize? Because in that case I suppose even skipping stones would be monetized.

Remove ads