Going Nuclear:1D&D

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
But the thread isn't about caring about their plights, it's about boycotting Hasbro and "going nuclear on 1D&D". What about all the people who work at Hasbro whose kids have mouths to feed too? Why are the people who want to boycott hasbro to protect independent creators innocent, while the people who suggest those independent creators can probably just as easily make different content that has nothing to do with Hasbro are the bad guys?

The third party D&D publishers have got a good 20+ year easy start, and one year of warning before that sweet deal goes away. If these people are good at what they do, they'll apply that know-how to keep producing great content. The ones that produce great content but can't adapt, and see no way forward other than to continue selling D&D compatible content under unfavorable license terms... well, like I keep saying, i don't think those exist. The venn diagram of "people who make good content" and "people who can not make content without the OGL" has no intersection in my opinion. If you can name a content producer that literally CAN'T make a book worth buying without the OGL, then I will confidently bet that their content sucks.
By that argument, no one should ever vote with their wallet.

Art Waring

halozix.com
They can sign now. The royalties only apply to product sold after Jan 1, 2024. They have a year to transition what they produce and how they do business.
You don't seem to understand. In two days, by the document, no 1.0a OGL products are authorized. That's thousands of products that have to be pulled from the market on friday.

Do you not see the amount of damage that has caused? Companies are liquidating inventory at firesale prices.

Michael Linke

Adventurer
You don't seem to understand. In two days, by the document, no 1.0a OGL products are authorized. That's thousands of products that have to be pulled from the market on friday.

Do you not see the amount of damage that has caused? Companies are liquidating inventory at firesale prices.
Two days from when YOU got access to the PDF. Have you considered that the people who need to worry about this actually received the document long before that pdf was leaked?

Art Waring

halozix.com
Two days from when YOU got access to the PDF. Have you considered that the people who need to worry about this actually received the document long before that pdf was leaked?
This affects the entire industry not just those who signed the NDA. The NDA's expired on the 4th, the same date wotc were expected to make a public announcement.

That means that they were to be giving public notice on the fourth that all the 1.0a OGL was unauthorized "on or after the 13th of january 2023." This has been confirmed by several sources.

dude, the contract gave 3pp's a week to sign or lose everything OGL related forever. Nobody has a year to ride this out.

There are two days left until its the 13th, the reported deadline to sell any and all 1.0a OGL products before they are unauthorized.
this is the big... I can't say what it is on enworld... this is the problem lets say. If they gave everyone until teh 50th to sell down and get ready to transition this would be much better (even if it meant by 1D&D we would have the same issues

Michael Linke

Adventurer
this is the big... I can't say what it is on enworld... this is the problem lets say. If they gave everyone until teh 50th to sell down and get ready to transition this would be much better (even if it meant by 1D&D we would have the same issues
En publishing already kickstarted "two crunchy roleplaying games". They have a system that's all theirs, and owes nothing to Hasbro. I was actually low key dissapointed when their subsequent kickstarters were for 5e content, rather than further support for these new systems I bought into. I'm sure they're deciding for themselves whether they can just transition to publishing for their own system, or if they need to figure something else out, but until I'm blue in the face: the people who make good content can do so without the OGL.

Remove ads