Going Nuclear:1D&D

Michael Linke

Adventurer
What 'need' is this move filling for the community?

Stability of the D&D brand, and a realigning of "who" benefits from the OGL away from big companies like Paizo, and back toward small teams and solo developers? You can argue about whether the community needs or wants those things, but I can see an angle to what WotC is doing that "does not attribute to malice that which can adequately explained by [ineptitude]".

Stability of the D&D brand, and a realigning of "who" benefits from the OGL away from big companies like Paizo, and back toward small teams and solo developers? You can argue about whether the community needs or wants those things, but I can see an angle to what WotC is doing that "does not attribute to malice that which can adequately explained by [ineptitude]".
And how has the OGL caused instability in the brand? Last I checked the brand is the healthiest it has ever been with the OGL/SRD in place for the most recent edition.

halfling rogue

Explorer
But, you just said WotC is not a person. They don't know you. They cannot hate you.

Indeed, "hate" is probably a completely inappropriate word here. They are more likely completely apathetic to you, the the same way as an avalance is apathetic to skiers on the slopes...
There is no flag on the play. The adage "Don't give money to people who hate you" applies, even if WotC is a corporation.

In order to avoid the politics alarms round here, let's just chalk it up to WotC adopting an ideology (regardless of why) that is in conflict with my own. Statements and actions from them have affirmed it. We don't need to go further regarding all that. It is what it is.

However, on the relationship aspect, it is purely transactional. They don't owe me anything and I'm not obliged in any way to support them. If my house falls, they are free to giggle or not care. Likewise, I can look upon their demise guilt free. That they went out of their way to push people like me away from their products provides me with the opportunity to look upon their demise with ironic glee.

In fact, I think it is downright hilarious.

Bluebell

Explorer
I understand people working in the segments that are disadvantaged being upset, even angry about it. When this decision affects the dollars in their pocket nobody wants higher costs and less certainty. I’m sure it’s not personal though and those people are just trying to do the best for their company, their shareholders and need they’re trying to fill in the community. As someone for whom the possibility of being sold off and/or being made redundant is always possible I struggle to understand the level of fury about something that is just par for the course in business.
I don't really care if it's personal or not. People aren't out here complaining that Hasbro hurt their feelings. I also don't really care whether they are "doing their best." I don't know what's in their hearts, I just know their actions.

Whether or not corporations as a whole are bad isn't really the issue, either. This isn't a generalized topic. We're talking about one specific corporation and their specific decision-making. They would not have the broad reach that they have if they weren't a large corporation. They likely also would not be making the decisions they are currently making if they weren't a large corporation. Their size and their structure isn't something we can ignore when we talk about this specific topic.

As consumers, we are not beholden to shareholders. We don't owe them allegiance. We can choose to spend elsewhere. The bigger question is whether we, as hobbyists, want our community to be so easily upturned by one corporation.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases