• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Goliaths WebDM Misses the Mark, but Sparks My Curiosity

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Okay?
Goliaths have a whole society description too. Are you saying that being tied intricately to the setting just means...the race, as a race, has changed the course of history of the setting at some point?
So, halflings and gnomes In FR aren’t tied intricately to the setting?
Check out @Don Durito ’s post above, they summed it up pretty well. The core races usually have a defined place in any setting, while Goliaths are usually kinda thrown in. It’s a question of lore. How much background stuff is written about the race. Goliaths don’t have much.

Things you could do with Goliaths to make them more present in a campaign setting.

• There was a Goliath invasion several years back. No one knows exactly what they were after, nor why they mysteriously returned to their homeland.
  • The emperor has a special elite bodyguard (Like the Varagian Guard) - they are recruited solely from goliaths in the mountains and they answer only to him.
  • There is a prophecy that one day a great leader will come and unite the goliaths and they will sweep all before them.
  • All over the south there are Goliaths turned to stone centuries ago, as a result of a devastating magical spell in some war that is only vaguely remembered. Goliath pilgrims regularly walk the roads, visiting these statues of their ancestors. It is said one day these statuses will return to flesh and pass on their lost secrets to their descendants.
  • The world is full of Goliath adventurers. Ostensibly they are searching for the great horn of their people long lost. They have no idea where to find it however, so they just mostly just wander and get into adventures. These adventures make up a huge song cycle which is one of the most famous in the world (even if Goliaths do say that the bards who translated it into common missed the real poetry of it). Bards regularly follow Goliaths around when they see them, hoping to learn a part of the song cycle that no other bard knows yet.
  • Goliaths are cursed to be nomads. Once they ruled a great empire, but the gods cursed them to ensure they could never do so again. So now they must wander (if they stay in the same place more than a month they start to go mad) - they probably don't consider this a curse.

One of the things I really like about Goliaths is that they feel like something of a blank slate (it's a gift for worldbuilding). But it doesn't make it surprising that they're not all that popular.

It would be good to see some kind of published setting that makes them front and centre - but I guess they're not part of the SRD so it would probably have to be WOTC - and it would have to be a new setting - which seems extremely unlikely.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Check out @Don Durito ’s post above, they summed it up pretty well. The core races usually have a defined place in any setting, while Goliaths are usually kinda thrown in. It’s a question of lore. How much background stuff is written about the race. Goliaths don’t have much.
So, what confuses me is, I don’t understand how their place in the history of a given setting can be what makes a race broadly interesting.
I get liking halflings in Eberron, even though one finds them boring elsewhere, but this I just...I got nothin.

To me, Dwarves are either interesting before you get to the setting specific stuff like their impact on the history of Faerun, or they aren’t interesting.

Things you could do with Goliaths to make them more present in a campaign setting.

• There was a Goliath invasion several years back. No one knows exactly what they were after, nor why they mysteriously returned to their homeland.
  • The emperor has a special elite bodyguard (Like the Varagian Guard) - they are recruited solely from goliaths in the mountains and they answer only to him.
  • There is a prophecy that one day a great leader will come and unite the goliaths and they will sweep all before them.
  • All over the south there are Goliaths turned to stone centuries ago, as a result of a devastating magical spell in some war that is only vaguely remembered. Goliath pilgrims regularly walking the roads, visiting these statues of their ancestors. It is said one day these statuses will return to flesh and pass on their lost secrets to their descendants.
  • The world is full of Goliath adventurers. Ostensibly they are searching for the great horn of their people long lost. They have no idea where to find it however, so they just mostly just wander and get into adventures. These adventures make up a huge song cycle which is one of the most famous in the world (even if Goliaths do say that the bards who translated it into common missed the real poetry of it). Bards regularly follow Goliaths around when they see them, hoping to learn a part of the song cycle that no other bard knows yet.
  • Goliaths are cursed to be nomads. Once they ruled a great empire, but the gods cursed them to ensure they could never do so again. So now they must wander (if they stay in the same place more than a month they start to go mad) - they probably don't consider this a curse.

One of the things I really like about Goliaths is that they feel like something of a blank slate (it's a gift for worldbuilding). But it doesn't make it surprising that they're not all that popular.

It would be good to see some kind of published setting that makes them front and centre - but I guess they're not part of the SRD so it would probably have to be WOTC - and it would have to be a new setting - which seems extremely unlikely.

Nice. I see you have read Wheel of Time, as well!

My Eberron adds an element of Ogier-Style secluded scholars to Firbolgs and Goliaths, and you might to find them working as librarians, architects, and archeologists.

Also, they often adventure in order to find lost or new lore to take home, or recover stolen tomes, or follow a thread of prophecy to find out what happens.

They’re also guided strongly by the stars.

In my buddy’s setting, they live in the same mountain range as the main source of Forest Gnomes, who are very pre-conversion Irish, and have decent relationships with the Hidden Folk.

Having read this so far, they feel like that are a bit bland, but have lots of room and potential to do more with then other races that already have alot of lore going for them. Varies from campaign to campaign.

doctorbadwolf

Only three times in history have the Goliaths made war upon the low lands. Each time there was no great unifier, no ecstatic warrior priestess, no high king. They came down from the mountains like a fell wind, drums and boots and sonorous voices shaking earth and sky, seemingly at the direction of the earth itself.

They came with bow and spear and axe and hammer and the power of storms, with wolves and upon great stags taller than the largest horses of the lowlands. They came with a purpose, and when they’d achieved it they returned to their mountains. They broke a great nation each time, and each time they spared those who did not fight, honored those who fought bravely, and left night but rubble of the grand palaces and monumental walls of the cities they came to destroy.

Neither those who went to war, nor their children, nor their children’s children, ever spoke of the war thereafter, nor offered any explanation.
-
Nocturne Aurelian, Historian, from A Wind From The Demon’s Peak, a Collection of Oral Histories Regarding the Creatures and Peoples of the Mountains of Albarona.

———————
To be given the Third Watch of the night is a great honor for a young hunter, and Thumi was justifiably proud. She and her watch partner, the handsome crafter-apprentice Vathi, would sound the horns that would begin the loit to wake the sun, and call the dawn. The clan is high in the Elder Sister, and Thumi’s eyes are keen. She is confident that she will sound the first horn upon the Mountain this dawn, and Clan Genatavi would be the first to greet the sun. She hears the melody of Vathi’s bone flute, marking the hour. There is a respectful note in his trilling signal that was not here before, and Thumi blushes uncomfortably.
“Stormstalker.” He’d greeted her at the beginning of their watch. “It is a pleasure to keep watch with a great hero.” His words had been serious, but his tone was playful. She’d grunted in reply. “Vathi. Mother Merin told me that you crafted the bow I carried into the storm to retrieve our people.” A compliment. Her deeds were being praised, but she in turn praised his skill in craft. He grinned, and quoted the obvious old adage, “But who sewed your boots?” She’d laughed then, quietly in the dark, and nodded to him.

She nearly misses the first glimmer of light, as the sun stirred in its slumber. She grins from ear to ear, and then blows her arm-length horn into the cold, dark, mountain air. As she holds the final note of greeting, she can hear Vathi singing the Call to Dawn. He has a pleasant voice.

The song is such a part of them that the clan’s voice reverberates throughout the Mountian within minutes. Soon the children who are too young for chores join her and Vathi outside the camp, and then the camp is broken down and and the clan is reading to move on.

-
A Song to call the dawn, from the Journal of Thumi Stormstalker

Also this makes me think of Goliaths and their funeral songs.

SuperSam888

Explorer
Like, a race doesn’t need to be born from evil gods or demon princes to be interesting. 🤷‍♂️
Exactly, but what they do need is a culture and a history. It's fine with people making up their own, but without it how do you RP Goliath as a people in an established setting such as the Forgotten Realms.

doctorbadwolf

I genuinely think I’m just not gonna really ever grok this. It’s just...alien, to me.

It just doesn’t make sense to me that how much has been written about a race would impact how broadly interesting it is.

Like, there’s either appeal in playing and telling stories about the race, or not.
The fact that people have so many ideas for using the Goliath race to tell really interesting stories like the suggestions and player stories we’ve seen here and in the comments on the video tells me that the Goliath race is very interesting to a lot more people than my little group.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I’m curious, those who play/played and ran 4e, how common were/are Goliaths at your table? @Tony Vargas @Garthanos

Can’t recall who else around here has a lot of 4e experience.
Deva were popular didnt have any Goliath here. @Manbearcat is a big play high end game fan Tony should be able to give info on a broader set of 4e gamers though mines pretty narrow ie statistically meaningless.

Remove ads