D&D 5E Good art and Really bad art in the 5e PHB

ppaladin123

Adventurer
Huh...I can see the issue with the halflings and their tiny feet but I didn't have any problem with the half-orc paladin. I can certainly imagine a half-orc trying to escape the taint of his orcish heritage by becoming a paladin. I even think it is interesting since you see this fierce, almost monstrous creature who turns out to be a valiant knight. He'd probably be confronting stereotypes and surprising people left and right. And the actual picture is fairly well-done.

Andor

First Post
I love the 5e art. Although I do kind of miss the 1e art like this:
First_Edition_Dungeon_Masters_Guide_Dave_Get_The_Barbarian_In_The_Corner_Another_Drink_Quick_Axe.png
or this:
better-work-254.jpg

SoulsFury

Explorer
Hi ya-

A couple of my players and I really liked some of the art in 5e, the Bar room fight page was very cool looking, the Full page art for Part one was also very cool, heck I kinda wish they used that artwork for the cover of the PHB because the PHB cover art sucked (what the hell is that on the PHB cover anyway?)

I really liked the Gnome Art on page 35, very cool indeed, the Druid art was also very cool too. On the other hand, the Halfling art really sucked, whats up with the huge head and tiny legs? Did this particular artist suffer from dyslexia?

But to most of us, the worst art had to be the half orc Paladin (the klingon tiefling is a close second) An angry monstrous creature does not strike me as Paladin like in anyway. I know some people will not like this posting and for them I do apologize upfront if I did offend them with this posting but boy, the art in 5E could have been much better, thankfully the system aint that bad and is fun.

Scott

I really liked the bar fight too.

The art for part 1 was the cover for Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle, so that would have been kinda lame to have them make that the cover art I thought it was lame they reused it for part 1, but good art.

I think the cover art is pretty great, but it is definitely not evident that the guy is a fire giant. In fact, judging by his size, he is more like tarrasque size, not giant or even titan size.

The gnome art makes them look like mini-elves. Not a huge fan of the art. Hated the druid and halfling art. The tiefling was horrible, but I kinda liked the paladin.

I think my favorite might be the halfling doing the mission impossible. Most of the art work was sub par. Not that I could do any better. The art in Hoard of the Dragon Queen was better overall. I really hope the MM gets the art right. That is my favorite part of the book.

Charles Wright

First Post
The OP asked what was up with the PHB cover art.

Well, on the credits page the art is reproduced with the words "ON THE COVER" and the following caption.

"In this fiery scene illustrated by Tyler Jacobson, the fire giant King Snurre, suffering no fools to live, calls his hell hounds to join him in confronting unwelcome guests in his home."

This is a scene from the classic Dungeon Module G3: Hall of the Fire Giant King. As can be deduced it is from the third installment of the "G" or "Giant" series and was followed by the "D" or "Drow" series.

It's a welcome nod to those of us who have been with the game for years as well as a very nice reference to the history of the game as well as Gary Gygax.

So I, for one, prefer it to the bar fight scene as a cover piece.

Charles Wright

First Post
I think the cover art is pretty great, but it is definitely not evident that the guy is a fire giant. In fact, judging by his size, he is more like tarrasque size, not giant or even titan size..

His sword alone is more than twice the height of the character he's looking at...

SoulsFury

Explorer
His sword alone is more than twice the height of the character he's looking at...

Exactly, so unless the characters portrayed are significantly farther away from the giant than it appears, the character is about the size of its head. So if the character is 5' 5", that would make the giant 54' tall. Last I checked, fire giants were under 20'. The scale seems to be quite off... or were you agreeing with me? "..." doesn't really say much.

Charles Wright

First Post
Exactly, so unless the characters portrayed are significantly farther away from the giant than it appears, the character is about the size of its head. So if the character is 5' 5", that would make the giant 54' tall. Last I checked, fire giants were under 20'. The scale seems to be quite off... or were you agreeing with me? "..." doesn't really say much.

Ah yes, I see. I'm sorry I misunderstood your meaning. Certainly a bit of artistic liberty was taken... unless they make King Snurre a very special giant in a new 5e version. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases