D&D 5E Good Lord - I'm Taking Over 20+ Teen D&D Players

aco175

Legend
I would come up with a few good maps to place minis on and be able to pass them to the new DMs to have as a starter. Maybe some cardboard minis and such to have a ready-made dungeon to use as the 1st adventure. Emphasize the visual and the combat pillar since that part has the most rules.

Since you’re working with librarians, I would emphasize the story aspects of the RPG. I’m sure the librarians are familiar with stories!

However, you need emphasize that the children are telling the stories. The librarian/DM is only facilitating. They keep the story moving so to speak. I could see some wanting to hijack it for themselves.

Good luck!

What a fun experience! Good luck!

I have run D&D clubs in several schools. Here is what I have learned:
  • Keep it simple. The kids will pick up stuff quickly, but it seems to help if you start small. The PHB is more than enough.
  • If you are training DMs, have them start DMing by doing a simple dungeon crawl. A basic: The mayor hired you to search these ruins or caves or haunted house. This will limit the RP which doesn't need a lot of rule explanations, and instead focus on learning the rules so that forward momentum can happen in all the games. If possible, get this to the DMs two or three days before.
  • Make sure they all have dice, character sheets, pencils, etc. Set it up and print ahead of time. If they don't have characters, guide them through as a large group. You will be tempted to help each and every one of them individually. But, doing it as a group will keep a pace. Walk them through the steps just like a lesson. It's okay to let other players that know the game to assist individually. In fact, it's great.
  • This has worked for me, but might be very individual. I really just sit back, enjoy watching (while grading), and when they have a rules question, I answer. Things are not always smooth. Some kids don't "play fair," some are upset because the girl they like is paying attention to the DM and not them, some purposefully go against everyone else or try to fight people in their party, etc. It's normal. Most groups just figure it out. The ones that don't switch tables. They are kids, and they see things like social structure very differently than adults. I mean, I once had a girl DM come tell me she couldn't DM because she lost her hat and was having a bad hair day. She was in tears. And while, it might have been other issues, after getting to know her, this was a plausible response to not feeling like you can lead five teenage boys on an adventure.
  • Lastly, have fun. Show them your passion and it will spread. You won't need to recount your adventures or explain in great detail your past characters. Just show interest in theirs, even if they are run of the mill tropes or taken directly from a book, movie, anime, etc. The characters are new to them, and that is really fun to watch.
Hope this helps and enjoy! :)

Greggy C

Hero
So now I've been asked to teach others on their staff how to DM (many the first time playing the game) to be ready in a couple weeks.
Lost mines is free on dndbeyond. So I would have them watch this video to get the story part and then teach them enough to survive session 1 or 2 (dont tpk)

Retreater

Legend
Apparently the previous DM who is leaving the duties had been running them through his own campaign world. So I'll have to shift those expectations a bit - I can't take over an original setting I know nothing about.
The group of players apparently have some experience since the club is a few months old already (though new ones come now and then). I don't know who is running the game other than the library director (who has never played a game), her husband who volunteers when his schedule allows it, and one other staff member who has been an assistant DM to the person who is leaving. I'm doing an organizational Zoom call next week for a bit more information and to give the staff a "crash course" about how to DM.
My wife (a gamer herself) was surprised I took this task, thinking that DMing is something that is really difficult. I explained to her that I don't believe it is - at least to learn to be a novice DM. (Sure, to be an amazing DM that takes training.)
The library apparently has access to a 3D printer that it uses to print the character miniatures. They also make custom maps on Inkcarnate and have them printed at a local shop. It sounds like they have been sparing no expense, but I think all that accoutrements will be intimidating for new DMs.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Apparently the previous DM who is leaving the duties had been running them through his own campaign world. So I'll have to shift those expectations a bit - I can't take over an original setting I know nothing about.
The group of players apparently have some experience since the club is a few months old already (though new ones come now and then). I don't know who is running the game other than the library director (who has never played a game), her husband who volunteers when his schedule allows it, and one other staff member who has been an assistant DM to the person who is leaving. I'm doing an organizational Zoom call next week for a bit more information and to give the staff a "crash course" about how to DM.
My wife (a gamer herself) was surprised I took this task, thinking that DMing is something that is really difficult. I explained to her that I don't believe it is - at least to learn to be a novice DM. (Sure, to be an amazing DM that takes training.)
The library apparently has access to a 3D printer that it uses to print the character miniatures. They also make custom maps on Inkcarnate and have them printed at a local shop. It sounds like they have been sparing no expense, but I think all that accoutrements will be intimidating for new DMs.
This is genuinely exciting: I know that you have had a number of playgroup frustrations, and though this is significantly daunting, thus could be extremely fun. Especially if the staff are there for it.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I estimate that I've taught somewhere around a thousand people to play D&D (various editions) over nearly thirty years of owning my comic and game store. All ages (even grandparents).

It's going to be a big job, but it should be fun and rewarding. I can't think of anything off the top of my head to add to what others have said. You sound like you have it under control, though.

Oh! One piece of advice: Always use pregens for first-time players. There's nothing I find more annoying than watching (or hearing about) people trying to teach a new player the game by starting out making them make characters. You can't make decisions for your character when you don't know what any of it means. Get everyone to play at least one solid session first before they make their own character. (You can, however, get them to choose from a stack of pregens, but I'd limit each player to choose from two or three, tops.)

Endroren

Adventurer
Publisher
Well - I can't offer much that hasn't already been said, BUT if your club has a library and you'd like some new 5E compatible books, let me know! I'd be happy to hook you up with a few Aetaltis books for your club's collection. (All teen friendly!)

Remove ads