D&D General Goodman Games To Reincarnate Jennell Jaquays' Caverns of Thracia

Game designer Jennell Jaquays has announced that Goodman Games will be reviving her 1979 Caverns of Thracia adventure for D&D 5E and its own DCC RPG. The Greek-themed adventure is set in a detailed dungeon, and was originally published by Judges Guild.

EE19ED9E-655D-4119-B2C8-17A547AB26BA.jpeg

After over two years of biting my tongue and ignoring friends' questions, I can finally share this news.

In addition to owning Dark Tower, the game adventure that I created 43 years ago for Judges Guild; Goodman Games also owns The Caverns of Thracia... which some fans consider to be the better of my two Judges Guild mega-dungeon/campaign adventures.

It will eventually be getting the same treatment as Dark Tower as a Goodman Games Original Adventures Reincarnated product

Dark Tower, another of Jaquays' Judges Guild modules, is currently on Kickstarter with three weeks to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Retreater

Legend
The only potential sad note of this great news is that, if I'm understanding things correctly, this is going to be the next OAR installment due in 2023 and at this point I'm wondering if there are going to be more TSR adventures in the line.
That's a good point. It could be that WotC is hesitant to license out IP when 5.5 is right around the corner.
However, I'm still good with what we're getting for now. I'll put these two from Jacquays up there with some of the better TSR adventures from that era.

darjr

I crit!
We’ve been really lucky to get the TSR OARs we did. I think it was a perfect storm that engendered it. A lot of those specific things don’t exist in the same way and I’ll bet the original contract was only for a short while. But! It’s still possible there are more on the way.

I mean if you squint you’ll see that GG, with Temple, was getting into riskier terrain. I wonder if that prompted them to do KSs just to make sure the next one was a success out if the gate. And maybe a bit to show WotC what might be possible.

That’s all speculation and wishful thinking in my part.

GuyBoy

Hero
Glad to see this coming down the tracks.
I love Jaquay’s work and enjoyed the 3e version of this by Necromancer Games as much as the original version.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
As great news as this is, it does seem to be a bit more evidence that WotC isn't licensing out old adventures anymore. I'm not entirely surprised as the relationship seem built by Mike Mearls (which I'm not getting into), and Goodman is growing into being a stronger more direct competitor to D&D 5E. I'm not really surprised if WotC has decided to pump the brakes.

That said, Goodman is a fantastic company and I think they'll my own thread has shown there are a few non-WotC adventures that can keep the OAR series going for some time.

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
I'm psyched for this. Though I liked Dark Tower a bit better, these two were my favorite JG modules. It's awesome as there will be Fantasy Grounds support for both, too.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases