D&D General Industry Veteran Jennell Jaquays Passes

Legendary game designer and artist passes away at the age of 68.

418514395_3519844221678573_3346738038931663952_n.jpg

Jennell Jaquays was an important figure in the development of Dungeons & Dragons and the tabletop roleplaying game industry. She passed away today at the age of 68. Known for her work on Dark Tower and Caverns of Thracia, she was a game designer and artist; she was responsible for many RPG covers, including Dragon Mountain. Jennell worked for TSR, Judges Guild, and Chaosium, amongst others, as well as video game companies, working on Quake and Age of Empires, and was also an activist for trans rights, instrumental in bringing about important legislation as creative director for the Transgender Human Rights Institute. Jenny had been suffering from Guillain-Barré syndrome in recent years.

Our condolences go out to Jennell's friends and family. The industry lost a legend today.

TSR1089_500.jpeg

Ghost2020

Adventurer
My sincerest condolences.

I know she was working on a new version of Central Casting Legendary Heroes. I hope it can get published eventually.

The original ones were neat products.
(Even if they did have some cultural artifacts)

I had no idea how so many of her products were some of my favorites.

General_Tangent

Adventurer
My sincerest condolences.

I know she was working on a new version of Central Casting Legendary Heroes. I hope it can get published eventually.

The original ones were neat products.
(Even if they did have some cultural artifacts)

I had no idea how so many of her products were some of my favorites.
I remember seeing the adverts for Central Casting in the magazines of the time, and this lead me to trawl all the games shops in London until I found a copy of Heroes of Tomorrow. I did eventually track down the other books in the series and Heroes Now is still a favourite read.

I found that not only did it create some interesting character backgrounds but it turned the whole process into quite a mini-game!

Giantrollorc

Explorer
RIP… She was such a titan in the rpg industry through many different eras. My group has been trying to decide on our next campaign for this upcoming spring,and we wanted to go ”old school”, so as DM my executive decision will be Dark Tower. One the best all time RPG game designers… tragic loss.

Art Waring

halozix.com
I think I remember her doing some work on the Quake games, (Quake 2?), not part of the ttrpg scene, but still a great contribution to gaming. An incredibly talented artist. You will be sorely missed.

R.I.P.

Alphastream

Adventurer
What an incredible design and artist career she had. Gave us gifts decade after decade. The Spelljammer art she created, with the nautiloid! Just amazing. It leaves the page and draws you in all at the same time. Her work on the Central Casting series of books was fantastic, and a recent inspiration for my work. So many firsts and so many incredible contributions.

Remove ads

Remove ads