D&D 5E Goodman Games What's coming down the Pike for 5e.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Looking forward to plugging in today. I probably won't be picking anything up as I should read books I already own (I'm behind due to Elden Ring sucking up all my time!), but I do own Castle Amber and it is a really great book.

Cool. So what house rules do you use to make 5E dangerous and challenging, and what rules do you use for crawls?

I've run a big dungeon crawl of the Doomvault, using 5E. I didn't need houserules, the mini-lich there was perfectly fine nearly TPKing the party, and one player was forced to put a bag of holding in bag of holding and tackle the mini-lich sending them both to the Astral.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
DCC doesn't really have special rules for dungeon crawls though?

They don't do anything out there for health and damage either.

In fact, in some ways it's even more generous. They give you an amount of time to be healed after hitting 0HP equal to your level, and if nobody heals then they give you a 50/50 shot of somehow being alive on a "flip of the body".

I would argue that a average DCC dungeon is significantly shorter than a normal D&D dungeon. They are just infinitely more interesting and engaging.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
None extra.
So...you must be doing something off the standard default assumptions for 5E, because 5E by default is a cakewalk of non-challenging, non-dangerous fluff compared to...well, most other editions of D&D. And 5E barely has any procedures for dungeon crawls. How long does it take to search a room? Pick a lock?
I've run a big dungeon crawl of the Doomvault, using 5E. I didn't need houserules, the mini-lich there was perfectly fine nearly TPKing the party, and one player was forced to put a bag of holding in bag of holding and tackle the mini-lich sending them both to the Astral.
Cool. So one early adventures with one enemy.
DCC doesn't really have special rules for dungeon crawls though?

They don't do anything out there for health and damage either.
Compared to 5E, yes. Dead at zero hit points and crits can deal massive damage or kill you outright.
In fact, in some ways it's even more generous. They give you an amount of time to be healed after hitting 0HP equal to your level, and if nobody heals then they give you a 50/50 shot of somehow being alive on a "flip of the body".
I disagree...and that's not how it works. You have one round per level before you're irrevocably dead at zero HP in DCC. If you're bleeding out and are saved...you get a permanent -1 CON. If they're not saved during that window, you then have an hour to recover the body and the character makes a Luck check (which was generated by 3d6 rolled in order). If successful they live...and have a -4 to all checks for an hour and suffers a permanent -1 to STR, DEX, or CON. So wildly more dangerous and deadly than 5E. Also, healing is dramatically less prevalent and there's no resurrection outside of Questing For It. They're simply no comparison.
I would argue that a average DCC dungeon is significantly shorter than a normal D&D dungeon.
Well, yeah. They're almost all designed as one or two shots.
They are just infinitely more interesting and engaging.
Absolutely. I'd love for them to bring that into 5E.
You don’t need any house rules to make 5e dangerous.
LOL. Ten years of running 5E tells me different. Without house rules or wildly overstacking combat, x2 deadly as the baseline at least, you're simply not going to challenge a 5E party.
It is just a style of play
Rules matter. You can't have deadly, challenging play in a game system that doesn't have rules that push a deadly or challenging game experience...unless you change them.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I disagree...and that's not how it works. You have one round per level before you're irrevocably dead at zero HP in DCC. If you're bleeding out and are saved...you get a permanent -1 CON. If they're not saved during that window, you then have an hour to recover the body and the character makes a Luck check (which was generated by 3d6 rolled in order). If successful they live...and have a -4 to all checks for an hour and suffers a permanent -1 to STR, DEX, or CON.
You know, I think you might be right. It's been a minute since I played/ran DCC and we ignore all that anyway, but RAW I think you're right there.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
@overgeeked not everyone plays 5e the same way. I think you should get used to it. And I’m really not appreciative of the aggression. Especially in this thread. Apologies if you dint mean it, but the litany of 5e “failures” and the laugh emoji strikes me as not nice.
Honest confusion. I've run and played 5E monthly since the playtest and we've had two deaths, both because the player was tired of the character. Both times the player had to tell the other players to not revive the character. There's so much healing that the player had to metagame to stop healing from easily saving the character. At no point was there any real threat or challenge in any session. Running bog standard 5E with bog standard 5E modules...utter cakewalk. So when you say you're running 5E without house rules and that it's deadly and challenging...I'm honestly confused. The only way you could make bog-standard 5E deadly and challenging is to run bigger fights than suggested, restrict resting, and a few other things. But mostly you're running into house rules.

But, either way, this isn't the thread for that. I'll start one and I'd honestly like to know how you and your group plays.

Remove ads