• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Got the D&D 4e Starter Set...So whatcha wanna know?

Imaro

Legend
Just arrived today, Now that I'm home from work...have cracked it open...but not read it thoroughly yet. If anyone has questions, fire away and I'll try and answer them.

Imaro

Legend
how are the monster tiles?

They're similar to the ones Paizo use to periodically put out in Dungeon mag (circular shape w/artwork). However they are on the same material as the dungeon tiles are made from and are double sided (different monster on each side). And they're numbered, so for example there's a kobold w/a small 1...a different kobold w/a small 2...etc. on it

5 player character tokens
51 monster tokens (w/different monster on each side)

EDIT: I like em, seem like they'd be pretty durable, and I just flipped it over and realized the PC tokens have a "bloodied" side.

Scribble

First Post
They're similar to the ones Paizo use to periodically put out in Dungeon mag (circular shape w/artwork). However they are on the same material as the dungeon tiles are made from and are double sided (different monster on each side). And they're numbered, so for example there's a kobold w/a small 1...a different kobold w/a small 2...etc. on it

5 player character tokens
51 monster tokens (w/different monster on each side)

Interesting... Does the double sided thing appear like it might be an issue?

IE Does it seem like you will most likely want to use both monsters at the same time, or did they split them up pretty well so you'd most likely never find the two together?

an_idol_mind

Explorer
Can players make their own characters, or are they pregenned?

Does the set have rules for advancement beyond 1st level, or is it like the 3.5 set where the game essentially ends at 2nd level?

Imaro

Legend
OK, some of the bad...The quick start rules are word for word (maybe with some eratta) the exact same as those in KotS (all 6 pages). The pre gens are the same except the cleric is human in the starter set and the wizard is an eladrin. There is new (but not new as in you haven't seen it before) artwork for the pre-gens and the sheets are in full color. I don't like the fact that the sheets are part of the booklet, instead of being actual separate sheets you can hand to players. No character generation rules (but we already knew this.).

Imaro

Legend
Interesting... Does the double sided thing appear like it might be an issue?

IE Does it seem like you will most likely want to use both monsters at the same time, or did they split them up pretty well so you'd most likely never find the two together?

Hmm...I think there's actually a semi-theme with them. One side are humanoids...orc's, goblins, hobgoblins, undead etc. while the other side is animals/creatures, like stirges, dire rats, wolves, etc...so off hand I would say it doesn't seem like much of an issue, but then what DM's combine in 4e is kinda arbitrary to the particular DM. Hope that helped.

Imaro

Legend
Can players make their own characters, or are they pregenned?

Does the set have rules for advancement beyond 1st level, or is it like the 3.5 set where the game essentially ends at 2nd level?

From my glance through...only pre-gens, which can advance to 3rd level, but everything (powers, feats, etc.) are already selected for each character. Not liking this at all. I feel this is what killed the 3.x basic sets and don't see this one being any different in that regard.

Imaro

Legend
OK...Bad number 2. I knew I had seen the tiles before and after a couple minutes it hit me...I just bought them not to long ago...there from DU1 Halls of the Giant King. Not sure how I feel about this one, since it's only some of the tiles and I guess they can supplement what I have...but I do feel a little ripped off.

Remove ads