• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Got the D&D 4e Starter Set...So whatcha wanna know?

Kalnaur

First Post
Why should D&D—even an intro set—especially an intro set—require Microsoft Windows? Besides, much of the appeal of face-to-face RPGs for many is that they let us get away from the 21st century for a bit.

I’m just saying’.

My only counter is to say that life at this point pretty much requires one to have a computer in order to keep in step with things. Life pretty much requires Windows, or a decent analog to it.

And my reason for enjoying the newest edition of D&D enough to actually buy anything for it is the similarity to video games with a much more open and easy to use toolset than anything Bioware or whoever could ever hand you. It's as simple as that for me.

I was the kid who started playing Atari at about 6 or 7 years old and I've been playing video games ever since. I have only recently finding board and card type games interesting, so I could be a bit biased.

Last edited:

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Life pretty much requires Windows, or a decent analog to it.
No, it doesn't. With the percentage of college students on many campuses buying Macs for their computers now approaching--and often rising above 50%--even significant chunks of the target demographics of D&D aren't using Windows. Just sayin'.

Plus, those "decent analogs" aren't compatible with the nifty D&D Character Builder software.

drothgery

First Post
No, it doesn't. With the percentage of college students on many campuses buying Macs for their computers now approaching--and often rising above 50%--even significant chunks of the target demographics of D&D aren't using Windows. Just sayin'.

Are you sure? Because those Macs are quite capable of running Windows, college students typically love network computer games, and college students often observe copyright laws even less strictly than they observe drinking age laws.

RFisher

Explorer

Plus, those "decent analogs" aren't compatible with the nifty D&D Character Builder software.

Even I am amazed by the number of Macs in my team at work. And we’re not graphic artists, we’re embedded C programmers. Once you add in the Linux desktops, Windows is in the minority.

Are you sure? Because those Macs are quite capable of running Windows, college students typically love network computer games, and college students often observe copyright laws even less strictly than they observe drinking age laws.

The majority of Mac users I know don’t run Windows on their Mac.

Kalnaur

First Post
Most of the people I see with Macs run Windows. All but one of my friends run Windows. Those that don't get excluded from things like that "nifty" Character Builder. Kind of like how I'm excluded because I have no home internet. But that's just to bad for us who are excluded because having Windows and an internet connection is the expected standard. If you don't want to be part of the standard, you don't get to complain when you are excluded. :)

And Fisher, do you happen to use those computers for gaming?

Last edited:

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
But that's just to bad for us who are excluded because having Windows and an internet connection is the expected standard.
It is not an expected standard. It is just laziness on the developer. They could have developed a cross platform system. It happens all the time, WotC chose not to because they thought they could get something to market sooner by building upon an existing Windows-only technology. Look how that has worked out for them. :erm:

Okay, the issue here is not about whether the Character Builder is cross platform or not. The issue is whether requiring a platform exclusionary technology in a starter set for a game that must be an inclusive as possible to attract new players is about as contrary to the goals of a starter set as can be.

Dire Bare

Legend
The majority of Mac users I know don’t run Windows on their Mac.

The majority of Mac users I know also don't run Windows on their Macs. But the majority of Mac user gamers that I know DO run Windows on their Macs so they can play video games.

But it's all anecdotal and meaningless anyways. Facts are is that Windows continues to dominate the home computing environment, hands down. Mac is making some significant inroads to be sure, but we are a long ways away from Mac being an economically viable entertainment system (at least when it comes to video games . . . . and D&D).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads