• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Got the D&D 4e Starter Set...So whatcha wanna know?

darjr

I crit!
I wonder if they would/could do a web enhancement with new pregens or the pregens with different choices in level progression. Essentially just create a lot of pregens setup to go from 1st to 3rd on the web site.

Remathilis

Legend
Like Every basic-starter set since 1996, its pretty much pre-gens + a module + counters/minis + dice + how to play. I can't say I'm imagine.

Assuming you want the game to make 4e-legal PCs (IE, a character that could theoretically be used in Living Realms), it would be wordy, but do-able.

Races: Human, Dwarf, Halfling, Eladrin, Dragonborn (2 pages each, 10 pages)
Classes: Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, Rogue, Warlock. To keep things less wordy, make only one possible build, and simplify Either/Or choices (defender-fighter, devoted cleric, brutal rogue, controller/staff wizard, fey/deceptive warlock) (probably 3 pages each, 15 pages)
Powers: 2-3 choices for levels 1-3 only; (probably another 6 pages)
Feats: 10-15 basic choices (3 pages)
Skills: Brief-rundown of skill uses (very brief) 5 pages.
Equipment: the default armors (no MWK) + most common weapons. Adventuring Gear List, + a few magic items. (10 pages?)

50 or so pages? It could be done, but it would probably raise the price to 30 bucks though...

Your looking at

FireLance

Legend
I wonder if they would/could do a web enhancement with new pregens or the pregens with different choices in level progression. Essentially just create a lot of pregens setup to go from 1st to 3rd on the web site.
I think character information from 1st to 3rd level is still free on the D&D Compendium, so players who want different characters could use that as a resource. Not as convenient as pre-generated characters, but it allows the players more flexibility and customization.

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
Target audience

We have to remember the target audience for something like this. Building characters can be a lot of work and it isn't exactly what you might want to do if you're brand new to the game and have a bit of a board-game mentality.

It would be nice if they had more ways to customize the characters but we have to remember that this isn't a replacement for the PhB. For a $12 boxed set, it sounds pretty complete to me. I'm looking forward to getting a few just to give to friends who might want to whip it out and play a quick game.

RFisher

Explorer
Building characters can be a lot of work and it isn't exactly what you might want to do if you're brand new to the game and have a bit of a board-game mentality.

Is it not possible to simplify it to the level of the old Basic Sets? Making some of the choices pre-set or otherwise simplified?

It seems to me that expecting people to make the jump from pregens directly to the full PHB—if chargen really is that much of an obstacle—is just as foolish.

Korgoth

First Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again: D&D play is about ownership and role-playing your own unique character. "Basic" sets that leave that out are missing the whole point, the hook to new players of D&D. I just do not understand it.

Yep.

Funny how kids nowadays are supposedly too stupid to generate their own characters, but we never had any trouble when I was a kid. Granted, you didn't have skills and feats, but really it isn't that hard.

Anyone who underestimates their opponent or their audience deserves what they get.

Thanee

First Post
I think there are both kinds of people... those who want to play the game for starters and don't care about what character they have as long as it is not overwhelmingly complex, and those who immediately want to make the character their own.

Bye
Thanee

rounser

First Post
I think there are both kinds of people... those who want to play the game for starters and don't care about what character they have as long as it is not overwhelmingly complex, and those who immediately want to make the character their own.
Sounds about right, but I'd argue that it takes the latter to draw in the former. The "don't care" folks aren't running the game, or suggesting that they and their friends go play D&D in particular.

You need that one obsessed player to get the ball rolling for a game that requires such a huge time investment. A sense of creative ownership goes a long way towards building that obsession.

Last edited:

Grimstaff

Explorer
Yeah, some basic PC gen info would have been easy to include, even if it was just Fighter/Cleric/Rogue/Wizard and Human/Dwarf/Elf/Halfling with one build for each class, still it would be some options.

That said, I think the pregens most of us at ENWorld got early on were instrumental in teaching the fundamentals of the game, alot of us took those first DDX pregens up to 3rd level!

A couple more questions for the OP:

What are the included adventures like?

Are the pregens loose or must they be cut out like the ones in KotS?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads