D&D 5E Grappling Questions

redkobold

Explorer
If I understand correctly, once you have successfully grappled a creature, that condition will continue until you choose to end it or the grappled creature escapes on its action.

Question 1: If the creature does not use its action to escape, it may attack you normally. The grappled condition only makes its movement 0. Is this correct?

Question 2: If the creature chooses to escape as its action and succeeds, grappling condition ends and it now has all of its movement and may move, disengage (to avoid an AoO), or dash. Is this correct?

Question 3: I have initiative. In round one, on my turn, I use my action to successfully grapple a creature. The creature fails to escape on its turn that round. In round two, the creature is still grappled and I use my turn to attack. I do not have to use an action again to reactivate the grapple. I can then drag the creature up to half of my move. The grappled creature can then attempt to escape or attack me. Is this all correct?

Thanks in advance.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
That all sounds correct to me, but in regards to question 2: keep in mind that the creature can only dash or disengage if it has a feature that allows it to do so as a bonus action, because the creature already used its action to free itself from the grapple.

Last edited:

Undrhil

Explorer
Note also, that a creature with a speed of 0 cannot stand up from prone. So, if you have a creature grappled and you manage to knock it prone while it is grappled, it will be unable to stand up until it escapes from the grapple.

Note also, that a creature with a speed of 0 cannot stand up from prone. So, if you have a creature grappled and you manage to knock it prone while it is grappled, it will be unable to stand up until it escapes from the grapple.
Of course, grappling with a prone creature may well require you to get prone yourself, so there's not necessarily much benefit to that.

redkobold

Explorer
Thanks everyone. If there is one thing that I would like cleaned up in 5e, it is grappling. We have not used it much in our games but I want to change that when we begin playing Out of the Abyss where the players may very well have few or no weapons. I have seen the Grappler Manual but am still underwhelmed with the current 5e mechanics for grappling.

To that end, I am writing some revisions to grappling, some additional and clarified grappling actions, revisions to unarmed strike and the Grappler and Brawler feats. Would any of you be interested in reading through it and providing feedback?

corwyn77

Adventurer
Thanks everyone. If there is one thing that I would like cleaned up in 5e, it is grappling. We have not used it much in our games but I want to change that when we begin playing Out of the Abyss where the players may very well have few or no weapons. I have seen the Grappler Manual but am still underwhelmed with the current 5e mechanics for grappling.

To that end, I am writing some revisions to grappling, some additional and clarified grappling actions, revisions to unarmed strike and the Grappler and Brawler feats. Would any of you be interested in reading through it and providing feedback?

If you really want to spice up grappling, I would highly recommend Dungeon Grappling, made for 5e, OSR, and pathfinder. It allows for a lot more than just immobilization.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/202537/Dungeon-Grappling?

Remove ads