D&D 5E Greater Invis and Stealth checks, how do you rule it?

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Without some form of active action by the "searcher" yes. It is exactly what I believe is infered in the books.
Feral sense is powerful because you will attack without even searching for the foe, at full capacity. This is way better than what our normal Joe can accomplish. It takes a 14th level ranger to do this.

Allowing someone other than a 14th level ranger to actually pinpoint the space where an invisible foe is, is actually a pretty big nerf to invisibility but it is in accordance with the rule. So I do allow it. But if even a 14th level ranger can't do his stuff at a range higher than 30' it means a lot for the others that do not either have this level or some other ability. I stand my ground. If exceptional circumstances call for it, the invisible one is safe at range higher than 30' (if that is the case at the end of the round that is). Otherwise, the invisible one is toast.
Functionally, though, this would mean that invisible is hidden. Hidden isn't a condition in 5e, but it means that your location is unknown to others. What you're saying here is that invisible creatures' locations are automatically unknown to other creatures (or usually unknown). Except, this is contraindicated by both the rules for hiding and the rules of invisibility, which both claim that you may always attempt to hide. Why would I need to attempt to make my location unknown (which is all that hiding could do for an invisibly creature as they are already unseen) if it already is unknown? This is a weird place, to me, because it's saying that invisible creatures are hidden in all but name, just because a 14th level Ranger ability exists that has a clause that only makes useful sense if this is true. It would appear (heh) to me that if the rules actually intended invisible creatures to be automatically hidden that they would have taken the time to say that where it's going to be looked up (and not say that they can try to hide at all) and not in a 14th level Ranger ability. Instead, they do have the bits about always being able to attempt hiding in the places you'd normally go to look. Why have the words about hiding, which would make your location unknown, in invisibility if the normal is that your location is already unknown?

Xetheral

Three-Headed Sirrush
There's a large difference between saying there's a general case that holds unless something everyone can see alters it leading to a GM ruling and saying there is no general case, it's always the GM's ruling.

I would only be able to agree with you if I thought there were more constraints on a DM ruling whether or not to apply a default than there are on a DM ruling directly on the result. While I think it's certainly true that you put more constraints on your DM ruling than @Oofta puts on his, I think that is a result of a difference in DMing styles, rather than a result of whether or not there is a default that invisible creature's squares are known.

For example, if I understand correctly, @Helldritch takes Oofta's approach that there is no default, but has chosen to tightly constrain the DM ruling at their table to whether or not the invisible creature is within 30'. Your approach, as you mentioned in your post, doesn't have a strict distance limit, so your ruling is less constrained than @Helldritch's ruling, even though @Helldritch does not believe there is a default and you do. Similarly, it's easy to envision a hypothetical DM who agrees with you that there is a default, but is extremely erratic and unpredictable on when they rule that the default doesn't apply.

Let's take my table as another example. I approach the issue as @Oofta does, and I do not believe there is a default that the square of invisible creatures is known. (I also don't think it matters, but I'm setting that aside for purposes of using myself as an example.) I resolve questions about whether an invisible creature's square is known using the basic mechanic of the game: I decide whether it's obviously known, obviously unknown, or if I'm uncertain I call for a perception check (passive or otherwise) against a DC set by the DM. Let's say that instead I switch to your approach and agree that the default is that the square of invisible creatures is known. In cases where I would have ruled perception to be uncertain or an automatic failure, I'm going to depart from the default, and the end result is absolutely identical. In practical terms, nothing at all has changed at my table. I'm not suddenly more consistent as a result of switching to your approach, because how consistent I am depends on my DMing style, and not on whether or not I believe there is a default.

Does it make sense why I don't agree with you that DMs that follow your approach will necessarily be more consistent than DM's who follow @Oofta's approach?

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I would only be able to agree with you if I thought there were more constraints on a DM ruling whether or not to apply a default than there are on a DM ruling directly on the result. While I think it's certainly true that you put more constraints on your DM ruling than @Oofta puts on his, I think that is a result of a difference in DMing styles, rather than a result of whether or not there is a default that invisible creature's squares are known.
So, yes, it is largely a matter of approach. That said, the guidance from the podcast is strongly that it's the normal condition that invisible creatures are detected. The example of a case where a GM might rule otherwise is pretty extreme, with big explosions, and less a matter of determining invisible creatures can be seen and more one of deciding NPCs stop caring to make the effort. That's some fairly strong guidance, there. Can you do it differently? Absolutely you can, but it would be hard to claim the podcast as support. Hence, my position. Do it differently, that's perfectly fine, but the claim of support is not strong at all.

And sorry for cutting this up, it kinda jumps around a bit, though, so I want my answers to be clearly to each.

For example, if I understand correctly, @Helldritch takes Oofta's approach that there is no default, but has chosen to tightly constrain the DM ruling at their table to whether or not the invisible creature is within 30'. Your approach, as you mentioned in your post, doesn't have a strict distance limit, so your ruling is less constrained than @Helldritch's ruling, even though @Helldritch does not believe there is a default and you do. Similarly, it's easy to envision a hypothetical DM who agrees with you that there is a default, but is extremely erratic and unpredictable on when they rule that the default doesn't apply.
I'd say that in the last few pages @Helldritch has espoused a pretty strong baseline that's similar to @Crimson Longinus' -- invisible creatures' locations are default unknown. @Helldritch's distance limit is rather one where the Ranger ability ceases to function rather than a general statement in opposition to his default. Fourteenth level Ranger's lose the ability to automatically locate invisible creatures past 30', but everyone else doesn't get a location without a special circumstance or a successful check. @Oofta does seem to be sticking hard to ad hoc decisions rather than any baseline assumption.

But, to go to your point, you're still arguing a slippery slope -- that a GM could claim to have a baseline assumption but be inconsistent about applying it and so begin to look like a GM that prefers an ad hoc approach to begin with. Sure, that could happen, but that doesn't describe anyone in this thread, so I'm not sure if it's really a point about the difference in approach or just about inconsistent GMs.

To be clear, I'm not saying that the ad hoc approach isn't consistent -- it very well can be and I assume it is. The issue I stated with ad hoc approaches is that it's always up to the GM and there's already lots of areas that a player has a different view on a situation from the GM, so that can be a sticking point -- the player has to make sure their on the same viewpoint as the GM. That's not about consistency, it's just a basic element of working off an imperfectly shared fiction.

Let's take my table as another example. I approach the issue as @Oofta does, and I do not believe there is a default that the square of invisible creatures is known. (I also don't think it matters, but I'm setting that aside for purposes of using myself as an example.) I resolve questions about whether an invisible creature's square is known using the basic mechanic of the game: I decide whether it's obviously known, obviously unknown, or if I'm uncertain I call for a perception check (passive or otherwise) against a DC set by the DM. Let's say that instead I switch to your approach and agree that the default is that the square of invisible creatures is known. In cases where I would have ruled perception to be uncertain or an automatic failure, I'm going to depart from the default, and the end result is absolutely identical. In practical terms, nothing at all has changed at my table. I'm not suddenly more consistent as a result of switching to your approach, because how consistent I am depends on my DMing style, and not on whether or not I believe there is a default.
No, you've missed the point, but exposed a viewpoint I hadn't considered. At no point would I ever think that a situation was uncertain or impossible and then rule otherwise because of a default. That's not it at all, but if that's what you got, I can see how you'd be against that, even aggressively so. Instead, the point of the default is to establish the situations that I already think are automatic successes. This puts that information in the player's hands so they don't have to ask, and so that I have a custom of ruling that is obvious and consistent. Here, that's unless there's a special circumstance that is obvious to the table -- either through just being obvious (you won't detect an invisible creature on a different continent, as an extreme but clear example) or because I've announced it ("the heavy downpour makes seeing and hearing difficult past about 30 feet") -- then the default answer is that it's automatically successful. If I think a situation warrants a different look, then I'll see if I've provided clear context for that or not. If not, well, then I might overrule my judgement because I wasn't clear and fair to the players once, doing it again won't help. If I was, though, then I've already telegraphed the special circumstance and I won't use the default.

To wrap this back to my football analogy -- it's clear when it's less than 10 yards, and clear when it's over 10 yards, but close to 10 yards it's clear that a decision needs to be made. That's how my default works -- it never overrides my thinking on a situation being uncertain or a failure, it's just the communication to the players where the area where I'll rule it's automatically successful exists. Part of enabling this is using a more in the middle fortune mechanic, which gives me leeway to map the fiction to the outcomes.

Does it make sense why I don't agree with you that DMs that follow your approach will necessarily be more consistent than DM's who follow @Oofta's approach?
Yes and no. No in that I disagree with you, but yes in that if you thought my approach entailed overriding my own rulings, then I can see that problem.

Look, the benefit of ad hoc rulings is that you can do a good job mapping the fiction to the mechanics. The downside of this is that players don't have an expectation and a difference of view on the current fiction can be magnified. The benefit of my approach is that it's very consistent and player facing. The downside is that I have to adapt the fiction to the mechanics. Honestly, though, I think most people actually do use a baseline, even if informal. We've seen this in @Helldritch's move from claiming ad hoc to saying that they usually rule invisibility as location unknown. @Crimson Longinus has directly said this is his baseline. That's not really a difference in approach such as a reversal of what the baseline entails. It's possible others might indeed be entirely ad hoc, but I think that they are more likely to bend towards invisible is location unknown unless special circumstance dictates otherwise. This more closely aligns with the fictional descriptions they've provided in examples, and aligns with a more tail-ended fortune approach such that mechanics are used after the relevant fiction is established. This makes sense, and it a valid way to play. I think it different from what the 5e rules suggest, strongly so, but everyone's entitled to their own interpretation.

EDIT: I fixed botched formatting

Dude, it is an action (the Hide action) and you're doing it wrong.

How can you possibly come to that conclusion after listenting to the Podcast linked in this thread?
Not if you don't want to hide but not to be heard. Moving silently is part of sneaking.
Sneaking is a part of hidding and you can't hide without sneaking but it is not true the other way around. You can sneak without hidding.

Here are two example.
Bob the warlock is invisible, under the parapet and does not want to be heard by the the guard above. All he has to do, is moving silently, all the while, Bob is searching for the secret door his contact told him was near this spot. By your way of ruling, Bob would not be able to do both as he is a warlock (a sneaky one at that, bad boy...).

Here, no need of hidding, the character is invisible. But the need to be silent is there. Bob is under the parapet, out of line of sight (there is a blind spot on parapets in case you don't know.) So no need for hidding but the need for being silent is vital.

Of course, Sneaky Goyle the rogue would not need invisibility as he can always use the hide action as an action bonus and keep searching. Sneaky Goyle does not need as many resources as poor Bob. It is the advantage of being a rogue. It is a lot less costly to get things done.

The room of suffocating silence
Bob is in a room that amplifies sound up to the point of causing damage to any source (thunder blast equivalent for a failed stealth check). But Bob must also keep drinking a quaff of the solution of shmoofbank to keep breathing the poisonous gas that is in the room. Again, by your rule, Bob would not be able to do this.

Skill checks are not actions as per the rules anyway (unless specified). So by my interpretation, Bob can do these things but he needs to spend resources (potentially costly too) that Sneaky Goyle would not be obliged to use. The rogue does this without much trouble and at both better action economy and resource costs than Bob.

So, yes, it is largely a matter of approach. That said, the guidance from the podcast is strongly that it's the normal condition that invisible creatures are detected. The example of a case where a GM might rule otherwise is pretty extreme, with big explosions, and less a matter of determining invisible creatures can be seen and more one of deciding NPCs stop caring to make the effort. That's some fairly strong guidance, there. Can you do it differently? Absolutely you can, but it would be hard to claim the podcast as support. Hence, my position. Do it differently, that's perfectly fine, but the claim of support is not strong at all.

And sorry for cutting this up, it kinda jumps around a bit, though, so I want my answers to be clearly to each.

I'd say that in the last few pages @Helldritch has espoused a pretty strong baseline that's similar to @Crimson Longinus' -- invisible creatures' locations are default unknown. @Helldritch's distance limit is rather one where the Ranger ability ceases to function rather than a general statement in opposition to his default. Fourteenth level Ranger's lose the ability to automatically locate invisible creatures past 30', but everyone else doesn't get a location without a special circumstance or a successful check. @Oofta does seem to be sticking hard to ad hoc decisions rather than any baseline assumption.

But, to go to your point, you're still arguing a slippery slope -- that a GM could claim to have a baseline assumption but be inconsistent about applying it and so begin to look like a GM that prefers an ad hoc approach to begin with. Sure, that could happen, but that doesn't describe anyone in this thread, so I'm not sure if it's really a point about the difference in approach or just about inconsistent GMs.

To be clear, I'm not saying that the ad hoc approach isn't consistent -- it very well can be and I assume it is. The issue I stated with ad hoc approaches is that it's always up to the GM and there's already lots of areas that a player has a different view on a situation from the GM, so that can be a sticking point -- the player has to make sure their on the same viewpoint as the GM. That's not about consistency, it's just a basic element of working off an imperfectly shared fiction.

No, you've missed the point, but exposed a viewpoint I hadn't considered. At no point would I ever think that a situation was uncertain or impossible and then rule otherwise because of a default. That's not it at all, but if that's what you got, I can see how you'd be against that, even aggressively so. Instead, the point of the default is to establish the situations that I already think are automatic successes. This puts that information in the player's hands so they don't have to ask, and so that I have a custom of ruling that is obvious and consistent. Here, that's unless there's a special circumstance that is obvious to the table -- either through just being obvious (you won't detect an invisible creature on a different continent, as an extreme but clear example) or because I've announced it ("the heavy downpour makes seeing and hearing difficult past about 30 feet") -- then the default answer is that it's automatically successful. If I think a situation warrants a different look, then I'll see if I've provided clear context for that or not. If not, well, then I might overrule my judgement because I wasn't clear and fair to the players once, doing it again won't help. If I was, though, then I've already telegraphed the special circumstance and I won't use the default.

To wrap this back to my football analogy -- it's clear when it's less than 10 yards, and clear when it's over 10 yards, but close to 10 yards it's clear that a decision needs to be made. That's how my default works -- it never overrides my thinking on a situation being uncertain or a failure, it's just the communication to the players where the area where I'll rule it's automatically successful exists. Part of enabling this is using a more in the middle fortune mechanic, which gives me leeway to map the fiction to the outcomes.

Yes and no. No in that I disagree with you, but yes in that if you thought my approach entailed overriding my own rulings, then I can see that problem.

Look, the benefit of ad hoc rulings is that you can do a good job mapping the fiction to the mechanics. The downside of this is that players don't have an expectation and a difference of view on the current fiction can be magnified. The benefit of my approach is that it's very consistent and player facing. The downside is that I have to adapt the fiction to the mechanics. Honestly, though, I think most people actually do use a baseline, even if informal. We've seen this in @Helldritch's move from claiming ad hoc to saying that they usually rule invisibility as location unknown. @Crimson Longinus has directly said this is his baseline. That's not really a difference in approach such as a reversal of what the baseline entails. It's possible others might indeed be entirely ad hoc, but I think that they are more likely to bend towards invisible is location unknown unless special circumstance dictates otherwise. This more closely aligns with the fictional descriptions they've provided in examples, and aligns with a more tail-ended fortune approach such that mechanics are used after the relevant fiction is established. This makes sense, and it a valid way to play. I think it different from what the 5e rules suggest, strongly so, but everyone's entitled to their own interpretation.

EDIT: I fixed botched formatting
Ok, I may not have been clear enough.
Base assuption. If you don't hide, you will reveal your position. Just as the rule says.
But.
There are circumstances where the base assumption might not work. Distance is a factor in my games, yes. But the invisible dragon 45 feet away breathing fire will reveal his position too. Same with giants or whatever. We, as DMs, must use our judgment when ruling on some aspect of the game.

Yes we have the 30 feet assumption. If you are further than that, tough luck to find the invisible person. But this goes for the whole round as if you are within that 30 feet (including the 30th feet but not the 31st) then the invisible one must be hidding or his position is revealed.

There maybe other factors preventing from pinpointing the location of an invisible person, such as heavy noises, a chaotic battle or whatever. But these are rare. The goal is not to make invisibility all powerful, but it is certainly not to nerf it to the ground either.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Not if you don't want to hide but not to be heard. Moving silently is part of sneaking.
Sneaking is a part of hidding and you can't hide without sneaking but it is not true the other way around. You can sneak without hidding.

Here are two example.
Bob the warlock is invisible, under the parapet and does not want to be heard by the the guard above. All he has to do, is moving silently, all the while, Bob is searching for the secret door his contact told him was near this spot. By your way of ruling, Bob would not be able to do both as he is a warlock (a sneaky one at that, bad boy...).

Here, no need of hidding, the character is invisible. But the need to be silent is there. Bob is under the parapet, out of line of sight (there is a blind spot on parapets in case you don't know.) So no need for hidding but the need for being silent is vital.

Of course, Sneaky Goyle the rogue would not need invisibility as he can always use the hide action as an action bonus and keep searching. Sneaky Goyle does not need as many resources as poor Bob. It is the advantage of being a rogue. It is a lot less costly to get things done.

The room of suffocating silence
Bob is in a room that amplifies sound up to the point of causing damage to any source (thunder blast equivalent for a failed stealth check). But Bob must also keep drinking a quaff of the solution of shmoofbank to keep breathing the poisonous gas that is in the room. Again, by your rule, Bob would not be able to do this.

Skill checks are not actions as per the rules anyway (unless specified). So by my interpretation, Bob can do these things but he needs to spend resources (potentially costly too) that Sneaky Goyle would not be obliged to use. The rogue does this without much trouble and at both better action economy and resource costs than Bob.
Unless you've rolled initiative, though, you're not in combat so the Hide action isn't really on the table. Bob is hiding, though, and him rolling his DEX (Stealth) check is going to say how well he hides. If invisibility renders his location unknowable, then Bob shouldn't have to hide, or maybe I don't understand what will happen in this scenario if Bob botches his DEX check. Does the guard locate Bob, or just hear something and become curious?

Or, do you run non-combat in rounds and enforce the combat action economy? I mean, in my game, this would look pretty much the same -- Bob is trying to be sneaky. This doesn't interfere with searching for a secret door at all (again, in my game). It's an approach that may make finding the secret door more difficult or not, I'd have to hear how Bob is searching. But, given Bob is invisible, I'd probably grant autosuccess to his hide check from a guard in a parapet 30 or so feet above. If Bob didn't hide, though, the guard, presumably alert, would notice something amiss pretty quickly. And, if initiative started, the guard would know Bob's location well enough to not have to guess where to attack, if not his precise location.

Sneaking is a part of hidding and you can't hide without sneaking but it is not true the other way around. You can sneak without hidding..

That is convoluted nonsense that makes no sense.

Youre tying yourself up in knots now man.

Look, consensus is overwhelmingly against you. The clear words of the devs is against you. The RAW does not support you. There are hundreds of threads on this topic across dozens of sites and they say it works like im trying to tell you how it works.

Were at the point now where youre only arguing out of stubborn refusal to listen to or understand the consensus arguments being put forward. Its a total waste of time explaining the rules to you because you're just going to persist asserting yourr the one doing it right and everyone else is doing it wrong.

Im glad whatever you're doing works for you though and I'd love a chance to sit down with you and show you how it's supposed to work.

There is nothing more constructive to be discussed here so ill bid you a good day and hope that one day you can come to an understanding on the rules and how they're supposed to work.

Take care. Im out.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases