D&D 5E Greater Invis and Stealth checks, how do you rule it?

The rules aren't perfect. They contain errors, hence why they've put forward errata. Clearly they haven't captured all of it. The questions then become: Is the entire section on hiding in combination with certain rules in the combat chapter wrong? Or is it just second paragraph of the ranger's feral sense ability that is wrong? The answer is obvious in my view, particularly as the designers have endorsed the entire section on hiding and how that works quite clearly as it relates to invisibility.
Neither of them needs to be wrong. My reading doesn't disregard any rules, merely accepts that the rules do not cover every situation and that the GM uses at least a modicum of common sense. That hiding makes your location unknown, doesn't in any way require that other things couldn't make your location unknown too.
I think most people not trying to win an argument about this specific topic and who are just trying to examine feral senses on its own reach will also tend to reach the conclusion that the ranger ability is badly written and can be disregarded. Feel free to google such discussions to see for yourself. The consensus is clear that the second paragraph of feral senses doesn't make any, well, sense.
I makes sense well enough. The ranger can 'see' through invisibility but not through walls or other obstacles.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Neither of them needs to be wrong. My reading doesn't disregard any rules, merely accepts that the rules do not cover every situation and that the GM uses at least a modicum of common sense. That hiding makes your location unknown, doesn't in any way require that other things couldn't make your location unknown too.

I makes sense well enough. The ranger can 'see' through invisibility but not through walls or other obstacles.
Except it doesn't do that, at all. The ranger just knows the location of the invisible creature -- they still have disadvantage to attack them, that creature has advantage to attack the ranger, and the ranger cannot target the creature with any ability that requires them to see the target. Plus, if the invisible creature is hidden, the ranger doesn't detect them at all. So, the ability is kinda weird, unless you postulate this strange 'don't know where the creature is but it isn't hidden' clause that can operate within 30' of the ranger and lets this ranger ability do something. OR, the ranger ability is just poorly written and hasn't been errata'd because it doesn't break anything with it's mostly pointless clause.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Rule Zero? Common Sense? Logic?
Take your pick.
Personnally, all of them apply.
Those would all be reasons you change or rule something, but none of them explain what "can't be located but isn't hidden and is within 30'" is, does, or how it works.

But yes, DnD evolved from the wargames of the late 60s and early 70s. It gained a lot in moving away from wargames but it also lost quite a bit.
It impossible to quantify and qualify every possible outcome in a RPG. The last one that truly tried was the Role Master serie (along with Space Master) where every single actions, attacks, spells, moves and manoeuver were codified. It was, from a simulationist POV a dream come true. For DM and Players of RPG, a nightmare incarnated.

At some point, you just need to leave the comfort of the rule, and extrapolate on the RAI.
The RAI is very clear -- no designer has ever indicated that there exists a situation where there's a creature that isn't hidden, but you don't know where it is, and is within 30' of you and not behind total cover. That's the use case for this ranger ability if it does what you claim. So for, no one has been able to suggest what that looks like or how it works, they just say it does. Can you give me an example of am invisible creature, within 30' of a PC, who is not hidden. and the PC doesn't know where the creature is, but would be able to see if it were not invisible? I'm don't understand how this works, nor how you would get there.

Except it doesn't do that, at all. The ranger just knows the location of the invisible creature -- they still have disadvantage to attack them, that creature has advantage to attack the ranger, and the ranger cannot target the creature with any ability that requires them to see the target. Plus, if the invisible creature is hidden, the ranger doesn't detect them at all. So, the ability is kinda weird, unless you postulate this strange 'don't know where the creature is but it isn't hidden' clause that can operate within 30' of the ranger and lets this ranger ability do something. OR, the ranger ability is just poorly written and hasn't been errata'd because it doesn't break anything with it's mostly pointless clause.
They don't have disadvantage, the rule specifically says that. But yeah, they don't really see invisible, thus I used the quotation marks.

But I really don't get how you have so hard time parsing the rule. It may be somewhat poorly written but the intent seems pretty clear. There is a an invisible creature within 30 feet of the ranger in the open, so they can sense it by hearing, noticing crushed grass etc (basically the thing you think every shmuck is automatically capable of doing at any distance) but if that same creature is also hiding behind a wall, then the ranger still do not detect them. Seems pretty logical to me.

Oofta

Legend
Those would all be reasons you change or rule something, but none of them explain what "can't be located but isn't hidden and is within 30'" is, does, or how it works.

The RAI is very clear -- no designer has ever indicated that there exists a situation where there's a creature that isn't hidden, but you don't know where it is, and is within 30' of you and not behind total cover. That's the use case for this ranger ability if it does what you claim. So for, no one has been able to suggest what that looks like or how it works, they just say it does. Can you give me an example of am invisible creature, within 30' of a PC, who is not hidden. and the PC doesn't know where the creature is, but would be able to see if it were not invisible? I'm don't understand how this works, nor how you would get there.

News flash: there's no text in the book on the fact that PCs have to relieve their bowels on a regular basis either but we assume that they do. Just because they don't cover something doesn't mean it does not exist.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
They don't have disadvantage, the rule specifically says that. But yeah, they don't really see invisible, thus I used the quotation marks.

But I really don't get how you have so hard time parsing the rule. It may be somewhat poorly written but the intent seems pretty clear. There is a an invisible creature within 30 feet of the ranger in the open, so they can sense it by hearing, noticing crushed grass etc (basically the thing you think every shmuck is automatically capable of doing at any distance) but if that same creature is also hiding behind a wall, then the ranger still do not detect them. Seems pretty logical to me.
Yeah, the first, useful clause does that, but the second clause is different and doesn't confer anything.

Everyone detects the invisible creature though -- it's not hiding. The only way the ranger ability makes sense is if you totally ignore the designers input and say that all invisible things cannot be noticed, even if they don't hide. So far, you're the only person in the thread that's asserted this as a baseline (and kudos for that, btw, I appreciate your clear stance on the matter).

Easy.
No ranger.
You enter a room of 30 x 30. This is obviously an old laboratory. On the far right corner, a skeletal bird is in a cage, chirping a strange sound. It's been obviously there for a long time as the cage looks like tarnish bronze. On the center of the room, a big table with what appears to be alchemical supplies and appartus. On the near left side, you see a bronze or copper statue of a big fighter with a sword held in hand, poised as if ready to strike down a foe. In front of the statue, there is a big iron chest. Two torches flickers on the left and right side of the room. One exit is on the opposite wall with a heavy stone door.

This would be the description I would give my player. I would answer their questions about the room. I would hear them out, then... boom!

With a ranger.
Same description but add.
You sense that in the far left corner there is something standing there. You can't see it, but you know it is there. Initiative would be rolled immediately.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
News flash: there's no text in the book on the fact that PCs have to relieve their bowels on a regular basis either but we assume that they do. Just because they don't cover something doesn't mean it does not exist.
This is an extremely weak argument, though. We have rules for invisibility. We have rules for hiding. We have design input on RAI that says the normal is that invisible creatures are detected. This isn't at all in the same category as rules for PC's relieving themselves. Asserting that there's a major, unstated rules impact in an area already well covered by the rules requires more effort than saying there's no rules for peeing. Why do we have so many rules in and around invisibility but none of them ever suggest that an invisible creature is usually undetectable but not hidden. What does hiding gain an invisible creature if this is the baseline? Either the assertion is that multiple places in the rules present a largely useless rule for invisibility, or that part of the Ranger 18th level ability is poorly written and doesn't do much.

Yeah, the first, useful clause does that, but the second clause is different and doesn't confer anything.

Everyone detects the invisible creature though -- it's not hiding. The only way the ranger ability makes sense is if you totally ignore the designers input and say that all invisible things cannot be noticed, even if they don't hide. So far, you're the only person in the thread that's asserted this as a baseline (and kudos for that, btw, I appreciate your clear stance on the matter).
My stance is that you don't automatically know location of invisible things. This is not the same that they cannot be noticed. They can be noticed (i.e. their presence know) and even their location can be known if they give it away or someone notices them for some other reason. In many circumstnace a perception check would be quite warranted. I simply do not think that such detection is an automatic success, as that would be blatantly absurd in most circumstances. The ranger's feature however allows this detection to happen automatically up to thirty feet. My interpretation doesn't ignore any rules and corresponds with common sense.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Easy.
No ranger.
You enter a room of 30 x 30. This is obviously an old laboratory. On the far right corner, a skeletal bird is in a cage, chirping a strange sound. It's been obviously there for a long time as the cage looks like tarnish bronze. On the center of the room, a big table with what appears to be alchemical supplies and appartus. On the near left side, you see a bronze or copper statue of a big fighter with a sword held in hand, poised as if ready to strike down a foe. In front of the statue, there is a big iron chest. Two torches flickers on the left and right side of the room. One exit is on the opposite wall with a heavy stone door.

This would be the description I would give my player. I would answer their questions about the room. I would hear them out, then... boom!

With a ranger.
Same description but add.
You sense that in the far left corner there is something standing there. You can't see it, but you know it is there. Initiative would be rolled immediately.
So, in the first, there's a non-hidden creature that isn't detectable and no checks against any passive perceptions are made? Do I have the right of this?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases