Greek-inspired Odyssey of the Dragonlords From ex-Bioware designers On Kickstarter

Odyssey of the Dragonlords, a Greek myth inspired D&D setting by ex-Bioware designers Jesse Sky and James Ohlen is now on Kickstarter. It's a 280-page book being co-published by Modiphius (who now officially publish all the RPGs ever written, I think!) and describes the world of Thylea.

Odyssey of the Dragonlords, a Greek myth inspired D&D setting by ex-Bioware designers Jesse Sky and James Ohlen is now on Kickstarter. It's a 280-page book being co-published by Modiphius (who now officially publish all the RPGs ever written, I think!) and describes the world of Thylea.

Players Guide.jpg

You can already download a copy of the Player's Guide. "The booklet contains everything you need to get started as a hero within the world including a brief overview of the world of Thylea, new character backstories, rules for the new Centaur and Satyr races and epic paths for your heroes. This revised edition includes two more martial archetypes as well as updated rules based on your feedback for the Satyr and Centaur races available within the booklet."

And there's a short story called Dragon's Wager, by Drew Karpyshyn, which gives you a look at the setting's flavour.

Odyssey Landscape.jpg

"At the dawn of time, a war between the gods and Titans left the world of Thylea forever changed. Thousands of years later, the first mortals arrived, carried by ship and dragon. The Dragonlords were the champions who overthrew the Titans 500 years ago and forged the Oath of Peace. But the power of the Oath has waned, and now the Titans seek vengeance. You are one of the heroes called by prophecy to end the conflict once and for all. Poets will sing of your deeds for centuries to come... if you survive."

Arcanum's World is the publisher created by ex-BioWare lead designers James Ohlen and Jesse Sky (Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age: Origins, Baldurs Gate I & II, Knights of the Old Republic and Star Wars: The Old Republic) and Drew Karpyshyn, BioWare senior writer on Mass Effect I & II and Knights of the Old Republic.

Odyssey Titan.jpg

Find it on Kickstarter here.

Weiley31

Legend
I really enjoy the Player's Guide to this. Especially if you need something to play as Nymphs in 5E in general. Although, I do like the Sirens mostly and feel like they have a really huge stake in the events of Odyssey of the Dragonlords. then again, they seem to do a good job with the Epic Destiny mechanic that legit tries to connect your character to the greater whole of the adventure.

I still gotta buy the actual thing itself. My bud, who is a big fan of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, would absolutely love this.

jgsugden

Legend
I am playing in this as a player. I did not know much about it before playing. It is 67% Greek Myths, 33% Game of Thrones. There subclasses provided are not well balanced against core game subclasses and there are some gaps in how some abilities work, but the story has been fun so far. I'd recommend with the caveat that it can be improved by a thorough DM.

Lyxen

Great Old One
I am playing in this as a player. I did not know much about it before playing. It is 67% Greek Myths, 33% Game of Thrones. There subclasses provided are not well balanced against core game subclasses and there are some gaps in how some abilities work, but the story has been fun so far. I'd recommend with the caveat that it can be improved by a thorough DM.

Playing this too, and we are having an absolute blast. I'm not sure why the 33% GoT, though, it's clearly not fully greek as there are lots of specificities and additions, but I would say that it is 100% epic D&D.

We are only level 6 (and the DM intends to stretch the campaign at least to lvl 20), so I can't say whether the subclasses are really balanced or not, but there are also epic paths and epic items which means that, as usual, theoretical balance is just that, a theory, and we have zero problems so far.

That being said, our DM is also enhancing and moderating the campaign a lot, which probably helps, but we have tons of companions that help as well. Finally, for those wanting to do the effort, there are also tons of resources online to help any DM to do the same.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
There is a new project from Arcanum Worlds / Modiphius in the works, sounds exciting: Raiders of the Serpent Sea. I did not want to open a seperate thread for this yet, Arcanum Worlds / Modiphius might want to do that.

This looks very cool, essentially looks like Arcanum wants to do for Norse/Vikings what Odyssey did for Greek Mythology. I'd definitely support a project like that!

GuyBoy

Hero
Also playing Odysseys right now. Fantastic campaign, with @TheSword DM-ing, and a great group of players. The villains are complex and interesting and the setting is immersive. The epic destiny system is a cool mechanic.
If their new game is anything like this, I’d recommend.

Lyxen

Great Old One
This looks very cool, essentially looks like Arcanum wants to do for Norse/Vikings what Odyssey did for Greek Mythology. I'd definitely support a project like that!
Just a bit disappointed that they intend only up to level 10. I think it's a bit of a lazy design, lower level adventures are way easier to create than high level ones, and there are no AP that actually go all the way to level 20.

Retreater

Legend
I bought this one a while back, but have yet to get a group excited to play it. It think part of it could be the name (which doesn't really suggest Ancient Greece).
After closing our Rime of the Frost Maiden campaign this week, I'll again put it up for a vote.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Just a bit disappointed that they intend only up to level 10. I think it's a bit of a lazy design, lower level adventures are way easier to create than high level ones, and there are no AP that actually go all the way to level 20.

A little unfair to call it "lazy design." There are full hardcover books with level 1-10 adventures, and this one also includes a new setting and bestiary.

Remove ads

Remove ads