GREYHAWK CY 576: GREAT LEGENDS RETOLD -- CAMPAIGN THREAD

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Realizing that he has stumbled onto more than expected in the hidden shrine, after a few moments of examination and reflection, Sphynx takes a knife, heats the blade for a few seconds in the flame and then quickly cuts through a candle about a finger's breadth blow the lit wick. As the loosed end of the candle will remain lit, he taps them with his foot to extinguish the bitter end.

He repeats this process with all of the other candles. Keeping one of the candles for himself, he explains to the others what he was able to determine and offers one to any who wants it. He then gets one of the torches and drifts it back and forth across the altar of skulls until he ruins the lacquer and it falls apart. He will attempt to catch any skull that comes loose with his left hand, physically dismembering the abomination when the lacquer has been ruined.

Last edited:

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Quixt:
Not hearing anything through the door, his eye catches Sphynx attending the candles. He is struck by the simple, even obvious cleverness of cutting the candles. He walks back to Spynx, and when offered, he takes a candle and puts it away in his haversack. Then he approaches the door again. Whispering in low tones, “Let’s see who has remained.
He waits until he has the nods of the others in assent, and attempts to quietly turn the latch.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Sphynx said:
"... [Sphynx] explains to the others what he was able to determine and offers one to any who wants it."

As Quixt is taking the second of the three candles, Nimbar takes the last one. Before Quixt approaches the door, Nimbar turns quickly to Hawke, to give him a polite command.

Nimbar asks, "Give me my hooded lantern that you have stuffed in your pack. I have an idea."

Hawke opens his magical haversack, and fishes out the small, 6" diameter lantern; he hands it to Nimbar, who is smiling.

Nimbar says, "I have also heard of these candles before. They only shed light in about a 5' radius of the holder. But the strength of the light is not its true talent. The light that is does shed helps others who are nearby; those of you with Lowlight Vision will find that the lantern sheds just enough light to allow your improved vision to function. So that means that the big lummox here, who is of half-Elvin blood, will be able to see, despite the fact that he is not the one holding the candle. From a short distance, it's possible to see the candle's flame, but we can fix that...

I can place the candle in this hooded lantern, and turn the hood around backwards, so that instead of focusing the light ahead of us, as would be the case with a normal candle, it will focus the light behind us instead.

This will have the effect of hiding the candle's flame from anyone ahead of us who happens to be looking in our direction. But it will also be shedding enough light for the rest of us to make use of, as I have already explained.

This will put us on even footing with the humanoids in these cave systems; we'll be able to see just as well as they can, at the same distances. If we are stealthy and careful, we should be able to sneak around quite efficiently, and thus we have a good chance of being able to move about unobserved.

Since I fight with a one-handed weapon, I will take the lantern and carry it. I will stay just behind the point man, so that the lantern gives everyone in the party sufficient light. The candle will grant me Darkvision, so I will be able to see as well. It's a win-win situation for all of us."

Quixt said:
"...Then he approaches the door again..."

Nimbar and Hawke quickly take their places in the ranks, nodding to Quixt that they are now ready.
Sphynx also nods.

Ever-burning Candle of Darkvision
CL:
10th; Craft Wondrous Item, Darkvision, Permanency; faint enchantment.
Market Value: 3,500 GP.

Once lit, this candle never goes out, unless the top of the candle is carefully cut off; if the actual form of the candle is somehow defaced (smashing the candle underneath a boot heel, for instance) the enchantment is broken, and the candle is destroyed. If the form of the candle is intact, then it can be cut to any length while still maintaining the enchantment.

The candle sheds a dim light, in a 5 ft. (1 square radius) around the caster. The candle's flame cannot be seen at distances of 31 feet or more; the flame can be seen by careful onlookers (Spot DC 15) who are between 16 and 30 feet distant. Onlookers who are 15 ft. distant, or closer, can see the flame normally. A good practice for using this candle is to place it inside a hooded lantern, and turn the hood around backwards, so that the light of the candle is projected backwards (instead of forwards, as would normally be the case.) Doing this gives onlookers no chance at all to the see the candle's flame from the front (although from the back, they have the normal chance to see.)

The holder of the candle is granted Darkvision, at a distance of 60 ft.

Those whom possess Lowlight Vision, and can see the flame (i.e., those within 15 feet of the candle) are granted enough light to activate their Lowlight Vision, thus, in a mixed party of humans and demihumans, this candle helps everyone. Typically, each human will carry one of these candles, and their demihuman allies will simply stay close enough to activate their natural vision.

Components for creation: a normal wax candle, and 3.5 oz. of diamond dust.

Quixt opens the door... [To be continued]...

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
DM's NOTE: Using the method described above, Sphynx is able to melt the lacquer, separate the skulls, and thoroughly deface the altar.

Sphynx Bonus XP: +250

Party Bonus XP: +125 each.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
To everyone's relief, there awaits no horde of either Goblins, or their larger kin, behind this door; instead, the party finds that this rather large room was formerly a bedroom. There is quite a bit of good furniture here, albeit all of it Goblin-sized. The large bed is stripped of its sheets, although the canvas, straw-dtuffed mattress remains. There is a low bench near the foot of the bed, which was likely used for dressing, putting on socks and boots, and the like.

In the corner of the room is a well-made, wooden stand with a pewter bowl atop it. The bowl is empty, although you surmise that it perhaps once held items of a personal nature, probably rings, necklaces, hair pins, and the like.

There are also three, smaller beds in this room, which have also been stripped of their sheets. You suspect that these beds were (perhaps) for the chieftain's harem, although you cannot be certain. They are also ideally sized for use by the chieftain's offspring, if he had any.

Dungeon Map 001.jpg

EVERYONE: What do you do?

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Quixt:
Simplify please? Will this grant me the ability to see in the dark? “ If the answer is yes, he nods and continues on; if the answer is no, then he reaches into his spell pouch at his belt (which conspicuously doesn’t look like a spell pouch), and removes a pinch of carrot, and in Draconic he casts Darkvision on himself.

Quixt searches the room more carefully. And he examines the pewter bowl more carefully. He doesn’t touch it. But he wants a more careful look.

MacConnell

Quixt:
Simplify please? Will this grant me the ability to see in the dark? “...
Sphynx shakes his head. "No. You would have to hold your own candle."

Moving around the room in the opposite direction of Quixt, so as to not be in each other's way. Sphynx will also examine the room, though lacking his friends precaution of look but don't touch.
OOC: Search: d20 + 9 = 20... I could have almost taken a 10.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Sphynx, your search turns up two things: a silver cup, hidden under the bed, and a forgotten, rolled-up tapestry with silver and gold threads, which was hidden in a secret compartment in the dressing bench.

Quixt, in the time it took you to cast your Darkvision spell (which you stated you did BEFORE searching) Sphynx was able to find the two pieces of treasure; after another good going-over, you can see that there is obviously nothing left to be found.

Quixt, as you look at the bowl, you notice faint engravings on the side, that appear to be a mural of the nearby keep. Someone in the keep will probably pay a reward for the return of their nice, pewter bowl.

EVERYONE: What Do You Do Now?

MacConnell

Sphynx offers the bowl to Quixt and asks Hawke if he want to carry the tapestry.

The hallway to the left, upon exiting the first room , that appears to dead end, Sphynx will specifically search it for secret doors or traps.
OOC: Search: d20 + 9 = 21... woo 1 point increase. lol.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Knowing that the tunnel is new construction, Sphynx decides to see if the unfinished end of the tunnel is a facade to hide a secret door; after a thorough search, he determines that it is not. The hallway truly does dead-end there. However, he does find a secret panel, which was also apparently forgotten by the Goblins on their exodus. The panel is small, about 16 inches wide, 6 inches tall, and 18 inches deep. Inside, Sphynx discovers four small gems (two bloodstones, a peridot, and a piece of amber) along with 325 silver pieces, and 128 gold pieces.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases