GREYHAWK CY 576: GREAT LEGENDS RETOLD -- CAMPAIGN THREAD

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Supplemental Record-keeping:
Campaign start date: Coldeven 14, CY 576
Current Date (After 2 Days Rest): Wealsun 9, CY 576

Each month has 28 days. Each festival is 7 days long.

Coldeven - 14 days
(Growfest) - 7 days
Planting - 28 days
Flocktime - 28 days
Wealsun - 9 days (current) -- 86 days have elapsed so far.

February 3, 2019 - Real-time start date of campaign.
July 21, 2021 - Current date - 899 days have elapsed.
(2.46 years have elapsed.)

Wow, this campaign has been running a long time.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Hawke says, "Agreed. It's mid-summer; thus it's sunny, nice and dry, there's almost no moisture in the air, and it hasn't rained in over 3 weeks... perfect weather for fighting."

Nimbar laughs at his friend's bravado; Hawke was one of those people who just seemed to be lucky. He always came out on top, in every fight, scrape, skirmish, or battle. He was super aggressive, but sharp-witted as well. And now, it seemed, he was starting to learn Abjurative magicks, not for the purpose of becoming a dedicated spellcaster, but simply to boost his own prowess in the melee arena. Hawke was truly one of a kind. When the gods made him, they broke the mold.

Nimbar nods, "Yes, it would be wise. Their allies, the Orcs and the Bugbears, will be asleep now, so close to noonday. The Goblins, Kobolds, and Hobgoblins are gone, either dead or scattered. What reinforcements there are will be slow to respond. And I now have my full compliment of battle spells prepared. There is no better time than now."

GM:
It is Wealsun 9, CY 576, 11:30 AM.

Hawke casts Nimbar's Improved Shield; +6 AC / Duration 6 Hours.
(Since Hawke is 2nd Level Abj. Champ., he adds +2 AC Bonus.)

Nimbar casts Mage Armor; +4 AC / Duration 8 Hours.

Nimbar casts Nimbar's Improved Shield; +4 AC / Duration 8 Hours.

Sphynx casts Nimbar's Improved Shield; +4 AC / Duration 8 Hours.

Sphynx casts Mage Armor (which overrides his bracers); +4 AC /
Duration 8 Hours.

Hawke's Current AC: 26
Nimbar's Current AC: 22
Sphynx's Current AC: 23
Quixt's Current AC: -?-

The group casts preparatory spells, and begins to move back toward the campsite at the top of the ravine; when they reach the tree line, they see that 4 Wendol warriors, 4 Bugbear warriors, and 3 Wendol cultists are now on guard, and look to be casting wards and alarm spells. No spellcraft check is required, because the preparations are obvious; the alarm spells will allow them to know when an enemy approaches, and the wards are probably to prevent the tents from being set on fire.

All four party members are 60 ft. away from the edge of the camp, safe and unseen in the trees. What's your plan of attack? (Battle map coming soon.)

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
3D2B6DFE-DB18-48C5-8364-608235E1190C.jpeg

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Quixt:
After resting, Quixt also spends time with Hawke observing Nimbar's spellbook. Particularly, he notices a modified Shield spell with much longer duration. He is taken with the eloquence of it. Nimbar clearly has a strong grasp on certain magicks. He asks that he be given an opportunity to learn it also should they take another rest, perhaps as appreciation for Quixt using his rope trick scroll to allow them a durable rest. For the moment though, he will shed his mithral chain shirt, placing it within his magical haversack, and cast Mage Armor on himself (duration 8 hours). (AC 17) "Nimbar, would you mind perhaps casting a spare use of your shield spell on me? Do you have any magic to spare?" (If so, Quixt's AC jumps to 21).

Before he begins his day, however, he does study his spellbook extensively, loading up on spells that will be useful tactically. The wand of hold person that he has clearly hasn't done the trick. He does realize, however, that due to his lengthy study of magic and stealthy attacks, he feels strong enough to attempt a spell during the heat of battle that will buttress his stealthy backstabbing and surprise attacks. Prior to now, it might have posed a risk, and it still may not pan out. However, there is a 1st time for everything. He also feels that his research into changing his form is paying off; however, he needs a wee tad more time out of stressful situations to perfect it. He's becoming rather strong in transmutations, and he is well above average in divinations.

He feeds himself part of his rations, and he drinks some water from his waterskin. He packs his scrolls to be made ready, and he sharpens his sword and tightens the string on his bow.

I have an idea. The invisibility sphere worked before. Why not make a go of it again? Also, we could enter the caves the way we exited before. Perhaps they are less magically alarmed. After all, we left evidence of the attack up here, and remember, at least one of the Wendol survived our attack. They know we came from up here. If we hit them again, it's a frontal attack. I'm not soldier, but we are outnumbered; I'm not sure that playing a blunt instrument is the best path. Please take no offense Hawke. Your size is most helpful in plowing a path. However, we are still only four to their what, ten (10)?

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Nimbar replies to Quixt's question about being out-numbered: "If we do invisibility sphere again, I can even the odds in a hurry, in a way I couldn't before; the first time we raided this camp, I didn't expect so many guards. But this time I came prepared; I have 2 Lightning Bolt spells memorized; if we can get into the correct position, we can cut their numbers in half if we get a lucky shot."

Nimbar hands Quixt a scroll with his Improved Shield spell on it.

Hawke chuckles, "No offense taken. But I don't think it's wise to tramp around on those switchbacks, when we can easily re-enter right here. Besides, the Wendol are poor warriors, and as long as we can avoid being surrounded, I think we'll do ok. Besides, I have seen all of you in action; your spells are grisly, especially Scorching Ray; I am going to add that one to my repertoire, just as soon as I can figure out how it works."

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
... Hawke chuckles, "... we can easily re-enter right here..."
Sphynx stretches and does some light calisthenics, listening to the conversation. "This is going to seem a it out of character for my nature, but I am going to agree with Hawke's approach. I think we should go right at them. Quixt, one or both of us can summon creatures just to interfere with any alarm magic they may be setting. I am fully rested. I can feel my magic in me. It is at it current full potential."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Nimbar whispers, "It looks as if the Alarm spell isn't ready yet; they're trying to make a permanent version of it, and it looks like he still has a lot of diamond dust to distribute. I can see the one Cultist, over by that tent, sprinkling the dust. If we hit them now, no one will be the wiser."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Quixt casts Invisibility Sphere and moves to Square#N17, with the rest of the party following closely and quietly.

Move silent rolls: 10,25,14,25 (Nimbar, Quixt, Hawke, Sphynx)
[Nimbar and Hawke were heard; Foes listen check = 17]
Foes Wisdom Check: BASE DC 10: (-2) Because they don't see anything = DC 12 = Wisdom Check: (10) Failed.
Despite hearing a noise, the foes think nothing of it, because they can't see anything.

Foes are surprised, and flat-footed.
Quixt uses his Swift action to cast Hunter's Eye, and for his Standard Action, casts Whirling Blade. Nimbar casts Lightning Bolt at the same time. (DC 17 Reflex for Half Damage.)
All but one of the Wendol fail their save. Wendol Warrior #4 makes it.
Whirling Blade hits all four Bugbears.

Bugbear 1 = Dead [-11]
Bugbear 2 = Dying [-9]
Bugbear 3 = Dying [-7]
Bugbear 4 = Dying [-5]

Cultist 1 = Dying [-2]
Cultist 2 = Uninjured
Cultist 3 = Uninjured
(Cultists 2 and 3 are 65 ft. apart from each other.)

Wendol 1 = Dead [-11]
Wendol 2 = Dead [-11]
Wendol 3 = Dead [-11]
Wendol 4 = 4 Hp Left [Severely Burned]

The ambush works perfectly; with only 3 spells, the party manages to decimate the majority of their foes. The Whirling Blade chops down the Bugbears where they stand, and the Lightning Bolt fries the Wendol warriors to a crisp; the one surviving Wendol has severe burns over 90% of his body, and is in shock, moaning softly, as pain wracks his body.

The remaining foes consist of the two Cultists who were attempting to spread diamond dust for the permanent Alarm spell, and the badly wounded Wendol warrior. All other foes are either down and out, or down and fading.

Hawke, who was at the outer edge of the sphere, charges a distance of 55 feet, to attack Wendol #4.

GM:
13/13/8/13 = Hawke's charge + pounce ability
+2 for charging; -2 AC
15/15/10/15 = Rolls: 24,23,19,17 (All four hits; just rolling damage for first two attacks: 11,10 = 21 pts. = Wendol Warrior is DEAD [-17]

Hawke puts the Wendol warrior out of his misery with two mighty blows, the first of which crushes the side of his skull, the second of which caves in the Wendol's left side ribcage. The warrior goes down in a heap, thankful for the quick release from his immense pain.

GM:
Sphynx is at Square#P14 when the Invisibility effect ends. He is 30 ft. away from Cultist #3.
Sphyx casts Scorching Ray, firing two bolts.
1st Ray Hits AC 22, 2nd Ray Hits AC 18 (Touch AC is 12; both rays hit.)
Damage: 11,13 = 24 pts. Total.
Cultist #3 is SEVERELY BURNED! [4]

Knowing that the remaining Cultists are trained and efficient spellcasters, Sphynx opts to use a spell on the closest one, hoping to drop him instantly; but somehow, the Cultist manages to remain standing, although he is screaming in pain, as the melted slag of chainmail sticks to his melted skin, and continues to burn!

Listen check: (15)
DC: Base 10, +4 for distance, +4 for upstairs = DC 18. (Failed.)

EVERYONE: You have two foes remaining. The surprise round is over. Everyone roll initiative! The remaining uninjured Cultist (#2) is on the other side of the camp. You're not sure if he intends to flee or not. Cultist #3 (the badly burned one) doesn't look to last much longer. Cultist #2 is within charge range (50') of Hawke.

3A16AE8F-AE52-4394-B80C-852DBCD4C875.jpeg

GM:
ROUND ONE INITIATIVE:
Sphynx: 28
Quixt: 26
Nimbar: 18
Hawke: 9
Remaining Cultists: 6

Last edited:

Remove ads