D&D 5E Greyhawk: Why We Need Mo' Oerth by 2024

Let's remember the lore of FR is very, very, very rich, but also this can become a cage. With Greyhawk you have more creative freedom to add your own personal touch. You haven't to worry too much about the continuity.

And GH is freer for crossovers with other franchises. Lots of most famous D&D characters are from GH setting.

* The parody module Castle Greyhawk could be adapted for an epic-comedy CGI animated movie.

* WotC hasn't to rebuild totally GH, but only give the right tools to the players because these want to do it in their own way.

* The "twin" worlds of Oerth can be potential spin-off or lands for crossovers.

Let's remember the lore of FR is very, very, very rich, but also this can become a cage. With Greyhawk you have more creative freedom to add your own personal touch. You haven't to worry too much about the continuity.

And GH is freer for crossovers with other franchises. Lots of most famous D&D characters are from GH setting.

* The parody module Castle Greyhawk could be adapted for an epic-comedy CGI animated movie.

* WotC hasn't to rebuild totally GH, but only give the right tools to the players because these want to do it in their own way.

* The "twin" worlds of Oerth can be potential spin-off or lands for crossovers.
But why even make a crossover for that? WotC is already willing to retcon lore as they need, so they could easily do all of that kind of stuff in with FR, Exandria, any of the MTG settings, and so on. Greyhawk doesn't provide enough of a base aesthetic for its "You can make anything here" to really matter. After all, how can I make ANYTHING in Greyhawk if people online are always screaming about how only certain races/ideas are allowed in the setting??

Warpiglet-7

From the pit of the 9th
You've been warned. I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy.

I'll put it to you this way- I find almost all of the Forgotten Realms books forgettable at best. But the later Gord books make those books seem like Shakespeare.

Not to mention he ends it all with a classic rage quit tantrum.
I was trying to be funny! I might try one since I like Gygax however.

And might bust out my old 2nd hand grey hawk materials for a perusal

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Supporter
But why even make a crossover for that? WotC is already willing to retcon lore as they need, so they could easily do all of that kind of stuff in with FR, Exandria, any of the MTG settings, and so on. Greyhawk doesn't provide enough of a base aesthetic for its "You can make anything here" to really matter. After all, how can I make ANYTHING in Greyhawk if people online are always screaming about how only certain races/ideas are allowed in the setting??

It's interesting that the people who keep arguing that there should be no Greyhawk are those that are heavily invested in the idea that (1) other people should not be allowed to have what they want, and (2) the pushback would actually be from fans of the setting, as opposed to the continued drumbeat of, "Fans of Greyhawk can't have Greyhawk because I, someone who doesn't like Greyhawk, keep saying that all true fans of Greyhawk don't want it!"

It's especially weird in a thread that explicitly states that a primary purpose of a rebooted Greyhawk is to attract new fans.

I mean, I suppose people could show up to threads about Nentir Vale, or Dark Sun, and start caterwauling about how no true fan of those settings would actually want it to be rebooted. But that would be rude, and unlikely to be a productive use of anyone's time.

Mort

Legend
Supporter

But here's the thing. Those people screaming about how they want Greyhawk pure (or whatever) they're still going to buy the book. And so will people who remember liking it. And probably new people who just want to see what all the fuss is about. And that's before all the other people who just buy the "new" WoTC supplement.

It's like the Howard Stern Anecdote, he got amazing ratings on radio, why?

People who loved him listen ... to see what he'll say next;

People who hate him listen. ... to see what he'll say next.

As for what does it have to offer. Properly done it's got a completely different take than any of the current settings - and that's in addition to the fact that people LOVE nostalgia right now.

If you see the products launched by Hasbro someones are licences or crossovers, for example the Transformers-Top Gun, Risk-Game of Thrones or the Monopoly Deadpool, Clued-Harry Potter. I have seen some possible clues about a marketing strategy based in crossovers. It is easier to sell products for two different fandoms. In my opinion Hasbro wants D&D to be as Fortnite the king of crossovers/collabs.

* When the DMGuild to be unlocked for GH? Maybe there are a lot of people with their own ideas to be added to the setting.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Supporter
I bought all of them only to scrape for Greyhawk lore and geography. They were otherwise 😑.

There are times when I try and imagine the negotiations between Gygax and TSR after the initial ouster when they were trying to apportion the IP.

TSR Attorney: So, Gygax has come back with a demand.

TSR Board: Okay, what is it?

TSR Attorney: Well, he wants to keep the rights to Gord, and have the ability to keep publishing books in the series.

TSR Board: Wait ... I thought we were demanding that he take Gord and those rights so we weren't associated with it? .... Thank goodness! Tell him it's a deal!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads