• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grim n' Gritty rules...

I looked at them and decided I didnt want to make spellcasters into even bigger gods than they are.

I also didnt feel like having my 10th level fighters taken down in two rounds by kobolds carryign heavy crossbows.

Last edited:

Albert_Fish

First Post
Wanderlust, Moriarty is dead wrong (sorry Moriarty), in that he worries about wizards. Ken Hood's Grim-n-Gritty rules are made for his Sleeping Imperium setting which is based more on realism and low magic. his Systemis great. its even faster than normal combat!

I use a Modified version (Utilizing a Stamina/vitality sort of stat above the Hitpoints/wounds stat, similar to the Spycraft game or Palladium games {as horrible as they might be} and an extra shield type. )

I run a low magic campaign so it works well. If you want to use it ina high or mixed magic ( my low magic campaign is mixed magic, Grand Poobas can cast normally) Ken Hood has rules for weakening magic. we use the "Every odd number =one" rule.

aks me about anything

Jeph

Explorer
I used them for a classless cyberpunk one-shot. It was a fun game, but the players said they preferred normal HP or VP/WP.

Wanderlust

First Post
Well, I'm just wondering about any problems that have occured from using the rules. Does everything work out nicely? Do you have to worry about accidently killing your players by just rolling a bit too well?

And of course, any other comments that you might find applicable I'd love to read.

Farewell,
Wanderlust

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Wanderlust said:
Well, I'm just wondering about any problems that have occured from using the rules. Does everything work out nicely? Do you have to worry about accidently killing your players by just rolling a bit too well?
Actually, this is a problem even with the standard rules. However, I could see it happening more often with G&G.

And of course, any other comments that you might find applicable I'd love to read.
I liked what it was trying to do, but it was dramatically harsh.

Sleeping Imperium has very little by way of monster encounters, so the harshness only effects the Players once in a great while since the average opponent is in the same boat.

SI is almost a non-magic setting (best described as Low Magic in the extreme), making most forms of magic lethal, particularly at upper levels.

As such, I found it unfitting for my needs. I run low magic, but magic is there and it is powerful. Monsters are rare, but if you pass through the wrong region, you're going to have a lot to deal with.

My solution was to throw G&G and W&V into a blender. What I got (which I call Health & Resilience) is rather nice, reflecting the harshness of combat that I wanted without being an immediate kill-factor for the PCs. Add rules for severe wounds, determine the chances of infection, develop some more detail for Heal, add a Profession: Surgeon and a Field Surgery Feat, adopt some of Bastion's Herbalism rules, and >bang!<, a viable system for a Low-Magic D&D setting that frees the PCs from dependancy on (non-existing) Divine healing magic.

r05c03

First Post
Yeah,

I use the WP/VP system combined with the AC progression and armour damage reduction rules from GnG, it seems to keep the best of both, and dispenses with some of the GnG mechanics that slowed things down like bleeding and so on.

Shalewind

First Post
Bendris Noulg:
I've been messing with an idea like this for a while. G&G/V&W mix with a new emphasis on the heal skill. I'd be interested to see what you've come up with?

Remove ads