• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grognard good...grognard bad

Ariosto

First Post
The original usage has nothing to do with liking older things, it's related to grumpiness and complaining.
It has to do with having been in uniform for a long time. Grumpiness and complaining is a given in that circumstance.

The new kid's complaints, though, are probably not going to be about how things are compared with how he remembers them having been in the Old Army (or Navy, or Marine Corps, or Foreign Legion, or what have you).

"Let me tell you about the old ways, when Master Chief played the Playstation 2. Ah, yes, that was, that was ..."

"Four years ago?"

"Yesterday, actually. Booted up Silent Hill: Shattered Memories."

Last edited:

Odhanan

Adventurer
Ourph said:
I disagree. The original context didn't refer simply to veterans, but to veterans who were experienced enough to notice the mistakes and failings of their superior officers and, thus, sit around grumbling about them. The word literally means "grumbler" (alternately "curmudgeon" or "one who snarls") in French. If the meaning was simply "veteran" then they would have been called "veterans".
Forgive me, but I have to call malarkey right there. Does a leatherneck actually support his head on a piece of cured calfskin, or a jarhead have a brain-in-a-bottle?

Grognard is a colloquialism, both in French and in English, and it simply refers to old soldiers or veterans.

Here's an account of how it came to be applied to gamers; I would suggest a quick look at the OED definition which is included on the page.
I'm sorry, but as far as the ORIGINAL context is concerned, you are both wrong.

"Les Grognards" was the name given by Napoléon Bonaparte to the soldiers of "la Vieille Garde" (the Old Guard, literally). They were not only the most experimented men of the Grande Armée, but also the most faithful to the Emperor, who named them so, "Grognards" or "Grumblers" when they complained about their condition of life in the Army. Some of them followed Napoléon until the very end, up to and including the Emperor's exile on Elba.

Grognards_par_Raffet.jpg

"Ils grognaient, et le suivaient toujours" ("They grumbled, and still, always followed him"),
Grognards, by Auguste Raffet (1836)

NOW it's a colloqualism, and it literally means a tough-skinned veteran, in a no-nonsense kind of way.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
There seems, to me, to be a great desire to be linked by name to the older game while disparaging both it and those who enjoy it.
Well, I make no secret of the fact that I don't particularly enjoy Gygaxian play, that I'm happy to disparage aspects of 3E, and that I'll disparage 2nd ed AD&D at any opportunity. That said, I don't disparage any of the players of those editions, except perhaps those 2nd ed GMs who feel that the game text has given them a licence to railroad in the name of "story".

And as I said upthread, I don't care about the linking by name except that it creates a more vibrant market for the game that I want to play.

AFAICT, there is an unspoken argument in the undercurrent of this thread, in effect, "Prefering older editions is an implicit slam against 4e".
I don't particularly feel that undercurrent, but you're probably more sensitive to it than I am. Conversely, I feel that the Tyranny of Fun posts are pretty clearly more than simply statements of a personal dislike of 4e play. They are critiques of 4e as an undesirable influence on gaming, and perhaps broader, culture. As a fan of 4e, I'm probably more sensitive to that critique than you are.

Like I said in my earlier post, I don't object to such critiques in principle, although they run the risk of being merely reactionary. I don't think they're very helpful on these boards, though, for two reasons: (i) they tend to violate the no-edition-wars rule, and (ii) these boards seem to flourish more when players of a wide range of games and editions treat one another as peers, rather than as cultural enemies.

When you remove the defining characteristics, but retain the name, at best you dilute what that name means.

<snip>

I also get tired of "It's new and improved! And also exactly the same!" If every discussion of editions devolves from "Look at all these exciting changes!" to "No, nothing has changed" if anyone at all suggests that they don't like some change, then how am I supposed to know what ideas are worth stealing?
The thing about "It's still the same game" is that for different people, "the game" means different things.

For some, D&D is all about the lists - spells, monsters, items - and the associated tropes. For others, it's the mechanics (polyhedral dice get mentioned a lot), or the style of play.

From WotC's point of view, the lists and some of the tropes are what they have control over (pursuant to copyright law, trademark law, and their general market positioning). Mechanics, on the other hand, come and go and are apt to be replicated by others. So I can see why they stress these things when they insist that the game is the same.

For players who care mostly about these things, the game might really be the same as well. For those who used to play AD&D but who wanted a feel less Gygaxian and more like a serious version of Tunnels and Trolls, 4e might even be the game they were really trying to play all those years ago.

From my own point of view, I can (and have) replicated those lists and tropes in a variety of mechanical systems. For me, what distinguishes 4e from other fantasy RPGs is its mechanics. So for me, the game is definitely not the same - if it was, I wouldn't be playing it!

The Shaman

First Post
NOW it's a colloqualism, and it literally means a tough-skinned veteran, in a no-nonsense kind of way.
You know I value your judgement and experience on matters pertaining to French culture, but while the origins make an interesting tale, it's the present colloquial usage, in particular its specific connection to gaming which is recounted in my earlier post, which bears directly on the discussion.
The OED definition you cite has the word "grumbler" right there in the definition.
Ourph, pulling that completely out of the context in which it's used doesn't reinforce your point.

I'd call it a faux pas, but I don't really believe you took a bad step.

Last edited:

Coldwyn

First Post
The thing about "It's still the same game" is that for different people, "the game" means different things.

For some, D&D is all about the lists - spells, monsters, items - and the associated tropes. For others, it's the mechanics (polyhedral dice get mentioned a lot), or the style of play.

From WotC's point of view, the lists and some of the tropes are what they have control over (pursuant to copyright law, trademark law, and their general market positioning). Mechanics, on the other hand, come and go and are apt to be replicated by others. So I can see why they stress these things when they insist that the game is the same.

For players who care mostly about these things, the game might really be the same as well. For those who used to play AD&D but who wanted a feel less Gygaxian and more like a serious version of Tunnels and Trolls, 4e might even be the game they were really trying to play all those years ago.

From my own point of view, I can (and have) replicated those lists and tropes in a variety of mechanical systems. For me, what distinguishes 4e from other fantasy RPGs is its mechanics. So for me, the game is definitely not the same - if it was, I wouldn't be playing it!

For me, the fun fact is that the game has never been the same. There always were major changes from edition to edition, including the whole truckload of optional rules. THAC0 changed to BAB changed to Attack. The terms AC and Save are still the same, tho.
So imho both statements (it´s the same, it´s not the same) are equally untrue.

@Raven Cowking:

Just wait for it. Should the be an RCFG 2.0 oder (gasp!) an ARCFG, you´ll have your own grognards ;)

Ourph

First Post
Ourph, pulling that completely out of the context in which it's used doesn't reinforce your point.

I'd call it a faux pas, but I don't really believe you took a bad step.
I'd appreciate it if you would refraine from accusing me of being disingenuous for pointing out the flaws in your assertions. For the record, this is the definition from your link...

OED said:
Grognard: a soldier of Napoleons' Old Guard; a veteran soldier; grumbler (French) - Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd ed

Pointing out that the word "grumbler" is right there in the definition isn't taking anything out of context. I've never disagreed that the term grognard implies an "old soldier" or "veteran". In fact, I specifically state that grognard does carry that connotation several times in my posts above. My contention is that it carries additional meaning, based upon the selection of the French word for grumble, "grogner", as its root. The French have a perfectly adequate word for old, experienced soldiers... veteran. The fact that these particular veterans were given a nickname derived from the word grumble implies... well, really, the implications should be self-evident.

As for its current usage in gaming circles, it's entirely possible that the "grumbling complainer" connotation wasn't intended by its original usage, but it certainly has acquired or reacquired that connotation over the years; with good reason if this thread is any indication.

Coldwyn

First Post
Pointing out that the word "grumbler" is right there in the definition isn't taking anything out of context. I've never disagreed that the term grognard implies an "old soldier" or "veteran". In fact, I specifically state that grognard does carry that connotation several times in my posts above. My contention is that it carries additional meaning, based upon the selection of the French word for grumble, "grogner", as its root. The French have a perfectly adequate word for old, experienced soldiers... veteran. The fact that these particular veterans were given a nickname derived from the word grumble implies... well, really, the implications should be self-evident.

As for its current usage in gaming circles, it's entirely possible that the "grumbling complainer" connotation wasn't intended by its original usage, but it certainly has acquired or reacquired that connotation over the years; with good reason if this thread is any indication.

Well, funny. That´d mean that the self-respect some people get from being indentified as grognards would crumble when they find out that they´re not being identified as "trusted veterans" but as "plain old grumblers".

Remove ads