• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grognards?

DamnedChoir

First Post
I'm personally very tired of hearing this term now thrown around for those people who don't like 4E, or don't think it's there thing anymore. (Especially for those of us who played it at DDXP)

Grognards, to me, are those old, 40something guys with big beards who sit in the back of game stores playing wargames and insist that Shadowrun is unplayable and it's all about this brand-new Tactical simulation of D-Day from a tiny indie basement publisher, and they laugh when you talk about White-Wolf, derisively.

I'm 24 years old, and I'm being called a grognard by the people who love 4E...but why is there so much hate, and just hostility in general projected towards people who so-far just don't think 4E is for them, and can actually back it up with reasons without getting abusive?

Why is it that saying anything anti-4E now labels you a grognard, or someone old who isn't willing to let go, and has people attack all your arguments and opinions?

Why are people so vehement?

I just don't get it.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Grognard
1. A soldier of Napoleon's Old Guard.
2. A wargamer.
3. Someone who prefers a prior edition of a game.

You are a grognard by the third definition. Those horrible guys at the back of the store are grognards by the second definition. They are also fatbeards.

JesterOC

Explorer
DamnedChoir said:
Grognards, to me, are those old, 40something guys with big beards who sit in the back of game stores playing wargames and insist that Shadowrun is unplayable and it's all about this brand-new Tactical simulation of D-Day from a tiny indie basement publisher, and they laugh when you talk about White-Wolf, derisively.

Why are people so vehement?

I just don't get it.

Well being 40 now I resemble that remark :)

While I have not been hostile to anyone, I am frustrated that people are slamming 4E in a section dedicated to 4E.

When 3E showed up, I heard the EXACT same arguments. “it is now Roll-Playing” , “It is too much like a tactical board game”… “It’s a money grab”…. I have heard it all before.

When 3.5 came out, I did not buy any of the books. But I did not go onto the message boards to tell everyone about it. 3.0 was fine for me at the time, and the changes seemed too small to warrant buying new books.

After a while I just stopped playing D&D. Not because 3.5 was bad, but 3.5 and 3.0 just took too much time to prepare and run. I have a wife and kid, and so do all of my gaming buddies. PC gaming was just too easy to do compared to D&D.

Well when I heard of the new 4E and heard that it was a complete revamp of D&D and it did a lot to help out a GM to make gaming easier, I said sign me up! What I have seen so far is EVRERYTHING I could have asked for. Simple rules that allow for depth of play. Stream lined skill system. Lots of cool things to do even at first level. Who could ask for more.

Now I know that I am not the typical gamer here. I assume that most people here still play every week or so. If you love 3.5 more power to you, but then why are “old schoolers” showing up to the 4th edition section trying to “prove” that 3E > 4E. Perhaps it is best to write those posts in the 3E section.

JesterOC

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
JesterOC said:
but then why are “old schoolers” showing up to the 4th edition section trying to “prove” that 3E > 4E. Perhaps it is best to write those posts in the 3E section.
This is the forum for discussing 4e, we are discussing 4e. You may not like that we don't necessarily agree with some of what we're seeing about the new edition. But it's still discussion and still has a place here. What this isn't is "the forum where only nice things can be said about 4e." Ask the mods they'll agree, regardless of our opinions so long as we stay civil we've as much a place discussing the issues here as those who are pro-4e.

Scarbonac

Not An Evil Twin
JesterOC said:
While I have not been hostile to anyone, I am frustrated that people are slamming 4E in a section dedicated to 4E.

[snip]

why are “old schoolers” showing up to the 4th edition section trying to “prove” that 3E > 4E. Perhaps it is best to write those posts in the 3E section.

JesterOC

This isn't a section of the boards merely dedicated to 4e, it is dedicated to discussion of 4e. As such, posts "slamming" 4e (whatever that is supposed to mean) should be as appropriate as the gushy giddy schoolgirl-y love-notes to 4e.

Remove ads