Grufflehead's Wushu Take 1

grufflehead

First Post
The note you had received had been cryptic, but the intent clear: '...grave threat to the realm...', '...Rositania's finest sons and daughters...', '...all due haste...'. So you had dropped everything and come to this rendezvous, in the bustling market town of Merryvale, on the banks of Sweetflow River. Having stopped to momentarily check your reflection in a mirror, making sure the worst of the trail dust has been brushed off, you knock at the brass-handled oak door and stride into the room beyond.

You recognise Her Majesty's High Chancellor straight away; some of the others are known to you too. 'Sit down' says the Chancellor, a weary air about him. 'I'll get straight to the point. Rositania's very existence hangs in the balance. 4 days ago we received this' he picks up a roll of parchment from the table. 'It's authentic, and it's from Baron Noir; yes, *that* Baron Noir' he says, seeing your eyes widen at the name. 'Obviously he survived being hung, drawn, quartered, beheaded, disembowelled and burnt, and he's keen to have that revenge he was raving about before his trial. In his usual twisted way, he's come up with something suitably fiendish to worry about. He's sent the same letter to the King of Blauvania; let me read you the salient points...'

'I have in my possession a device of unsurpassed power, with which I intend to lay waste to your pitiful kingdoms as payment for past slights on my good character. As I am not without a shred of decency, I offer both parties this bargain: whomsoever brings me the Crystal of Light, shall be spared. You have until the next full moon to acquire it and transport it to me at Noir Keep, or I shall destroy you both. Utterly. Kind regards, Baron Noir'.

The Chancellor holds his head in his hands. 'We've tried reaching out to the Blauvanians but after that unfortunate incident with the elvish dancers and the crate of meat pies at the Regent of Braunstein's coronation last year, relations have been somewhat strained and they apparently intend to pursue the Crystal themselves. Worse', he continues, peeering at you from behind his fingers, 'the Crystal recently changed hands as part of a wager and is now in the castle of King Rufus of Grunwald. And you can only imagine what he would say if we asked him for it'. He shudders, as if recalling some other particularly unpleasant incident.

'So, my friends, brave and loyal subjects of Rositania, the salvation of all we hold dear is in your hands. You must travel to Grunwald Castle and acquire the jewel for us, before all is lost. I have arranged for supplies to be provided, and one of our spies is waiting at the Rusty Horseshoe tavern - he has been undercover in Grunwald for some time and can brief you on the guardians, traps and other inconveniences that you will face. What say you?.

OOC - a chance for some descriptions to start...

Songdragon

Explorer
The large bulk of half-orc listens calmly to what the Chancellor has to say. A large brownish hand runs over a bald scalp as he considers all that is presented. While many might think that a half-orc is savage, the "beast" before you seems anything but. That said, he is dressed in a suit of studded leather that seems to have seen some use but has been well tended. A small array of weaponry also seems to be on display; a falchion is at rest on the back of the half breed, resting at easy within a baldric. A fine long bow and arrows are also across his back. Two smaller blades, long daggers, rest sheathed to each side. When Kagan speaks, his voice is deep and carries well and is straight to the point, "I serve the Realm." He nods in some respect to the Chancellor and his green colored eyes scan the others that sit with him at the table.

TheGreatOne44

First Post
Ohh, right right. Those Elvish dancers. Al thought to himself while he looked over the apple he "borrowed" on his way in from the market. Creating diversions was so fun, especially when they involved dancers. People were always distracted by the sexy. It never failed. The blonde man, barely in his twenties, didn't have much in the way of armor. A black shirt, some matching pants, and a lovely headband wrapped up under his hair. It all sounded rather intriguing. Thievery, competition, intrigue, spies? Sounded right up his alley.

"So, we get to go to a tavern?" he paused for effect, giving a wink over to the half-orc. Bloody thing probably wouldn't laugh, but it was the thought that counted. "Let's get going! Time's a wasting!"

grufflehead

First Post
'Oh dear' says the obviously harassed Chancellor, 'letters were sent to more than just you two. I was hoping some more of our brothers and sisters would rush to the aid of their homeland in such dire times. I trust nothing has happened to them on the way here...'. He takes out a handkerchief and mops beads of sweat from his brow, while the two soldiers who have been standing guard behind him shift their position nervously, occasionally eyeing the door, as if waiting for someone else to enter.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Even through the closed doors the words are unmistakeable.

"Out of my way, you whoreson quill-pusher!"

The doors slam open and a tall man strides in, followed by an apologetic looking clerk. The newcomer is clad in a mail shirt, with an expensive surcoat and fur-trimmed cloak over the top. An sword with an ornate hilt and decorated scabbard hangs at his hip. Without breaking stride, the man drops into a well-practised (but perfunctory) bow.

"My apologies for being late, Lord Chamberlain," he says, "I would have been here sooner if this posturing catemite hadn't tried to stop me." He turns his grey-eyed glare on the scribe behind him, then removes a finely-crafted leather gauntlet and runs a hand through his hair, the existence of the scribe all but forgotten. "Lord Callistro of Striefenburg reporting for duty as requested."

grufflehead

First Post
'Ah, splendid, good to see you, your Lordship' says the Chancellor to the new arrival. 'Well, no sense wasting any more time - it's something we don't have a lot of. Why don't you go down to the tavern and talk to our agent, Rouger - he's a tall, thin man, with very large ears. He'll be able to give you more information. Thank you again, and god speed to you'. He rises and shakes you all by the hand, before one of the guards shows you out.

You are led down the back stairs, where the guard points to a door at the end of a short corridor. 'Back way out onto the square' he says, conspiratorially, before leaving you to it.

Exiting, you find yourselves in the midst of the hustle and bustle of a typical market town. Carts of goods move slowly along the main street, as merchants of all types hawk their wares to the locals. You spy the inn at the other side of the square, sitting on the bank of the river. You are about to start making your way over when you notice the crowds begin to look nervously around. Pulling themselves from the back of carts, appearing from buildings and alleyways, even from crates and barrels, are armed men, all of whom have a strip of blue cloth attached to their clothing. They spot you, and with a shout of 'Death to Rositania!', they attack!

[sblock=Combat stats]
Challenge type: Mook
Goal: 10
Threat: 1
Details Cap: 4
Tme Limit: N/A
Secondary Challenge: N/A
[/sblock]

Songdragon

Explorer
As the mob descends upon the trio, the half-orc's swiftly takes up his large weapon and brandishes the falchion before him and lets out a loud whistle.(1) As the first man with blue approaches the half-breed easily knocks the weapon aside, while balling up a fist and launches it into the man's face, knocking him back into two others. (2) Kagan turns to others approaching letting out a battle roar of his own and with one hand confidently beckons the briefly surprised blue shirts to come on. "Bring it!" (3) From the shadows a large shape emerges and bounds over an opened crate and behind the half-orc landing atop a man who was sneaking up from behinds with a long dagger. (4) The orc looks behind him for a brief moment and grunts his thanks to his feral companion before returning his attention to others...

[sblock=Combat]2 Yang, 2 Yin With Switchhitter Combat of 4 1d6=4, 1d6=3, 1d6=2, 1d6=2 All success. [/sblock]

TheGreatOne44

First Post
"Glad we managed to get out of the palace before we ran into trouble." the thief took a few steps back, and drew a pair of knives from thin air(1). Of course, whatever plan the rogue had was dashed by the man in a barrel springing up from behind him. His arms were quickly pinned to his sides, and the daggers dropped to the alleyway(2). While the halfling up ahead roared and did battle, Al was stuck with a guy who smelled like fish. "Guys?" he looked around. Distracted, and another member of the mob was bearing down on him. "God helps those who helps themselves and all that." Al's skull quickly connected with the punk's nose. The man crumbled back to the barrel from whence he came.(3) Al decided it was time to make himself scarce. He took one step to the wall, bounding up and reaching an outcropping. A blade flew threw the air to where he was a moment ago. He dropped to the blade, using it as a springboard to flip through the air. With a twist, he came boots first on the head of another mobster. "It'sa me, Al!"He laughed.(4)

[sblock]Two yin, two Yang, under the Acrobatics 4 trait. 5,4,1,1[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dr Simon

Explorer
"Stand down, you curs!" shouts Callistro as his sword sweeps from its scabbard. He charges into the fray, shouldering the first thug to confront him to the ground (1). With an elegant flick of the wrist his sword encircles the weapon of the next thug and sends it spinning from his hand (2). With his free hand Callistro unclasps his fur-trimmed cloak and sends it spinning over the disarmed thug's head, and follows up with an elbow smash to where the man's face should be (3). Stepping back, he then takes up a defensive posture against the two men facing him (4).

[sblock=Stats]
Going off Swordsmanship 4
1 Yin 1d6=6
3 Yang 1d6, 1d6, 1d6=[2], [5], [2]

I have a request: could we refer to them as offensive and defensive dice, as I have to keep checking which are yin and which are yang.
[/sblock]

grufflehead

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
I think Dr Simon's suggestion is a good one, so from now on we'll refer to them as 'Attack' and 'Defend' dice if that is OK with everyone? Reading through the play examples in the pdf, there seems to also be a convention to declare Attack Dice first, then Defend, altough there was a mixture of how you did it in Round 1. Are people happy if we make that the rule?[/sblock]

Many of the townspeople have fled from the square, and they peer out at the combat from alleyways and house windows. Blue-clad bodies begin to pile up, but the fanaticism of the remainder drives them to continue their attack on you.

It is at this point that even over the noise of the battle your ears pick up the sound of hoofbeats and whinnying. You see that the fighting has caused a number of horses which had been pulling carts and wagons to become startled, and they have started to stampede. Panicking at the sounds of combat, they threaten to trample the hapless peasants who haven't managed to flee to safety.

[sblock=Combat stats]
Challenge type: Mook (Blauvanian attackers)
Goal: 10 4
Tme Limit: N/A

Secondary Challenge: Mook (Stampede)
Goal: 6
Time Limit: 3

Scene Details Cap: 4
[/sblock]

Remove ads