D&D 5E Grumbling about New (and Announced) Releases

I missed the boat with Critical Role so adventures and settings tied to it don't grab my attention. I might have been more interested in Fizban's if I wasn't coming off a long run of Rise of Tiamat. I'm good on dragons for the foreseeable future. The feywild doesn't do it for me as a setting. I prefer the feywilds to be setting adjacent if that makes any sense. Strixhaven is a cool concept but I'm not sure I need anything more than what I've already got to run a magical school setting. Ravenloft has never appealed to me though I wouldn't ditch the table if that's what everyone else wanted to play.

Just a bad run for me but there's always something around the corner.

pukunui

Legend
But what of they were a drsgon...man? Burnanating the countryside...?
In a previous 5e campaign, I played a dragonborn zealot barbarian named Trogdor. I gave him green scales but fire breath. He was also a champion of Bahamut, though, as we were fighting against Tiamat and her followers, so he tended not to burninate innocent peasants or their thatch-roofed cottages. He just burninated the bad guys.

I missed the boat with Critical Role so adventures and settings tied to it don't grab my attention
I don't think you really need to be a fan of CR to enjoy the Wildemount book or the upcoming adventure. I'm not a CR fan, and I mostly enjoyed what I've read in the Wildemount book. I'm also not an Acq Inc fan, but I love the Acq Inc 5e book.

These books are all made for as broad an appeal as possible, and everyone can find stuff in them that is useful for their own games.

I can all but guarantee that non-CR fans will be able to use the CR adventure. It will almost certainly be portable, either wholesale or in pieces, to other settings, including your own homebrew.

teitan

Legend
Not sure I would consider CR high magic myself any more than standard fare 5e materials even in the early 5e period. I do feel that I am jumping off the train with the Anniversary edition, too many changes hinted at for me but if it is your thing that will be awesome for you. I am just approaching 50 and had hoped that an anniversary edition would be little more than a refresh with some minor changes but it seems more like the changes from 3.0 to Pathfinder, a leap that gives lip service to compatible. I hope I find it to my liking though. It is a few years off so lots of time to sell me on it.

I don't mind the CR book, I just hope it sets a precedent: publish a Setting book, then publish a Campaign or Adventure Anthology for that Setting. I wished they'd done the same with Eberron and Ravnica.

It kinda also happened for Ravenloft, only they did the Adventure first, and the Setting later. I'm fine with it.

I don't think you really need to be a fan of CR to enjoy the Wildemount book or the upcoming adventure. I'm not a CR fan, and I mostly enjoyed what I've read in the Wildemount book. I'm also not an Acq Inc fan, but I love the Acq Inc 5e book.

These books are all made for as broad an appeal as possible, and everyone can find stuff in them that is useful for their own games.

I can all but guarantee that non-CR fans will be able to use the CR adventure. It will almost certainly be portable, either wholesale or in pieces, to other settings, including your own homebrew.
A bit off topic but what did you find most enjoyable with Wildemount? From an outsider's perspective I saw a high fantasy world that takes inspiration from pre-renaissance Europe. That's a pretty saturated space even for someone like me who enjoys that stuff. Is there anything particularly interesting game or mechanics-wise?

pukunui

Legend
A bit off topic but what did you find most enjoyable with Wildemount? From an outsider's perspective I saw a high fantasy world that takes inspiration from pre-renaissance Europe. That's a pretty saturated space even for someone like me who enjoys that stuff. Is there anything particularly interesting game or mechanics-wise?
It’s been a while since I read it, but the standout for me would’ve been the different takes on the traditional evil races like the drow.

I also liked the new subclasses and some of the magic items. Some of the starting adventures were cool too.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Not a whole lot in terms of game mechanics, other than a few fun gravity and time related spells and subclasses.

The Wildemount book has a lot, and I mean a LOT, of detailed DM prep notes on cities, nations, religions, NPCs, etc. that are ripe to be used for any world.

I wonder about the not-English-speaker market. There are lots of titles that weren't translated yet.

I guess Hasbro wants to use the TTRPG as an ideas laboratory to create new brands/IPs/franchises but the true main goal is the digital market. Some projects can be delayed because they would rather to be published with the launch of the videogame.

One of the future titles could be a module about the Gryphon Hill House, but not a true update of the old Ravenloft adventure but more like a mixture of reboot and sequel.

Dragonlance doesn't need a previous playtesting of Unearthed Arcana, but Dark Sun maybe, and not only for the three-kin.

Remove ads