D&D 5E [GUIDE] The Sorlock – Guide to the tormented divine soul with Xanathar's Divine Soul(17)+Hexblade(3) [Updated 12/20/21]

briggart

Adventurer
That must be the most convoluted and asinine ruling I have ever seen. You can only do somatic components of a spell if it also has material components.

I think it would have been much clearer to just say that spells including S and/or M components require 1 free hand to be cast, instead of going into the minutia of the current rule. The way I explain it in game is that the S part of (V)SM spells is minimal, because some of the magic channeling is carried by the M components. In (V)S spells, the S components must do a greater part of the channeling, so they are more complex and you can't handle stuff with that hand (not even a focus) while casting.

Obliza

Explorer
I think it would have been much clearer to just say that spells including S and/or M components require 1 free hand to be cast, instead of going into the minutia of the current rule. The way I explain it in game is that the S part of (V)SM spells is minimal, because some of the magic channeling is carried by the M components. In (V)S spells, the S components must do a greater part of the channeling, so they are more complex and you can't handle stuff with that hand (not even a focus) while casting.

Your explanation does make it easier to swallow, I still think I will ignore it in my own games.

For the point buy Con should be 15 and dex should be 13 since you are multiclassing into Hexblade and wearing medium armour.
Hmm yes this is probably more optimal. Dex 16 allows you to get an additional +1AC from taking Medium Armor Master however given under point buy you don't get this until level 19 it seems like the pay off is too late. I will reflect your feedback in the guide.

Bobjunet

First Post
Boss Damage Combinations at Max Level
Your ability to take down large single targets is unmatched. While an action surge GWM/SS will beat you for two rounds your sustained damage is simply absurd.

Because Hexblade Curse and Hex are both bonus actions it takes you three rounds to come online.

Round 1, Eldritch Blast + Hexblade Curse for 4d10+44 for for 66 average damage before hit chance.
Round 2, Eldritch Blast + Hex for 4d10+4d6+44 for 80 average damage before hit chance.
Round 3, Twin Eldritch Blast for 8d10+8d6+88 for 160 aDPR before hit chance.

Maybe, but you can not use Twinned spell on Eldritch Blast (after level 5) and on the same target !

Twinned spell = "spell that target only one creature" and "target a second creature" (Page 102 PHB)

But you can Quickened an other Eldritch blast and use it as your bonus action (2 sorcery points).

Last edited:

Obliza

Explorer
Maybe, but you can not use Twinned spell on Eldritch Blast (after level 5) and on the same target !

Twinned spell = "spell that target only one creature" and "target a second creature" (Page 102 PHB)

But you can Quickened an other Eldritch blast and use it as your bonus action (2 sorcery points).

Lol its amazing how many errors I made in writing this guide. It is supposed to be quicken not twin. I'll fix it thankyou.

SaintRas

First Post
I'd also like to highlight an item I'm currently using on my Sorlock.
I recently got a Staff of Swarming Insects, which has the following ability:
Insect Cloud: While holding the staff, you can use an action and expend 1 charge to cause a swarm of harmless flying insects to spread out in a 30-foot radius from you. The insects remain for 10 minutes, making the area heavily obscured for creatures other than you. The swarm moves with you, remaining centered on you. A wind of at least 10 miles per hour disperses the swarm and ends the effect.

This is basically a concentration-free Darkness that does not require Devil's Sight. With Elven Accuracy this would allow for tri-vantage while concentrating on Hex (or any other concentration spell). The only downside is that the radius is 30 feet, which might make it more annoying for your teammates. Personally I have Winged Boots on my Sorlock, so I can fly 30 feet into the air at the same time to all but remove the effect from ground level.

I personally think this is worth an attunement slot for a lot of Sorlocks, but I will have to play with it some more to be sure.

Obliza

Explorer

This is basically a concentration-free Darkness that does not require Devil's Sight. With Elven Accuracy this would allow for tri-vantage while concentrating on Hex (or any other concentration spell). The only downside is that the radius is 30 feet, which might make it more annoying for your teammates. Personally I have Winged Boots on my Sorlock, so I can fly 30 feet into the air at the same time to all but remove the effect from ground level.

I personally think this is worth an attunement slot for a lot of Sorlocks, but I will have to play with it some more to be sure.

Damn, thank you for this. I'll add it to the item list.

Zene

First Post

Seconding this. It can be an absolutely amazing item, especially for sorlocks. I used on mine up through Tier 4, only finally giving it up when I got a cloak of invisibility. With elven accuracy, it’s now an evem better item.

The only drawback is close-quarters combat. If you’re doing a lot of tight dungeon crawls, it’ll be tough to use. But it also allows you to cast Giant Insect, which is pretty awesome and a nice consolation prize when you can’t use the cloud feature.

suredoit

First Post
Great post!

I noticed a couple things that you can improve:

- I don't see the free lv1 spell divine souls gain mentioned on your suggestion build. You can swap it away at lv2, so it really is a free spell.

- You mention Careful spell a lot but doesn't suggest it anywhere on your suggested leveling path, maybe put it on Sorcerer lv10 metamagic suggestion ?

Remove ads