• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gundark's Keep on the Shadowfell xp

Gundark

Explorer
We played KotSF last night, we had 4 players. The Warlord, Rogue, Fighter, and the Paladin. We didn't finish the adventure however we had a lot of fun. My wife who occasionally plays tried out the fighter and caught on to the rules in no time, and she isn't a rules person when it comes to D&D by far.

Here are some of my opinion about the adventure and 4e so far.

#1. Yeah it feels like D&D.

#2. 4e is so WoW? Not even remotely close. My group is full of WoW players, none of them felt that way.

#3. 4e is like a CCG. This has got to be the stupidest complaint of all of this process

#4. It takes a few a while to get out of 3e mode, having kobolds that had a lot of hit points was odd to say the least.

#5. Marking wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be.

#6. 1 hit point minions are going to take some time to get used to. The players would get pissed to blow an encounter power (one guy blew a daily) to find out that the kobold was a minion.

#7. Overall 4e played smoothly, without much looking up, there were a few things the quick start rules didn’t cover, but a lot smoother than I anticipated for our first time.

#8. The idea that 4e characters don’t run the risk of death is garbage, no one died, however there were some beat up characters. Dead would be easy

Rhiarion

Explorer
Just to protect the feelings of players, and to give them the sense of achievement DnD is suppossed to inspire.

When a PC uses a power, I ask how much damage it does.

If it is enough to kill the creature I remove it from the board, there is no need to have the player think he "wasted" his power. I tend to keep minion status secret to build atmosphere.

Gundark

Explorer
Rhiarion said:
Just to protect the feelings of players, and to give them the sense of achievement DnD is suppossed to inspire.

When a PC uses a power, I ask how much damage it does.

If it is enough to kill the creature I remove it from the board, there is no need to have the player think he "wasted" his power. I tend to keep minion status secret to build atmosphere.

Well that's what I did...I keep the minion status secret and then they blow a encounter power (or the one daily) and I remove the minion while they're picking up the dice to roll.....they're like "what that was a minion? crap!!!"

Wormwood

Adventurer
Gundark said:
I remove the minion while they're picking up the dice to roll.....they're like "what that was a minion? crap!!!"
I find it's always better to wait until after the player rolls damage before removing the mini. :)

Family

First Post
First off: excellent breakdown, thanks; However:

YOU DO NOT MESS AROUND WITH THE TERM XP!

Okay then, breathe...and we're good.

That One Guy said:
Agreed with others, roll damage before mini-removal if it's a power/dramatic moment.

Yep. The player does't need to know they are minions (unless they roll a 1 for damage, at which point it becomes obvious). Perhaps you might describe how the non-minions look "tougher" or "more experienced" as a hint, but I wouldn't go farther than that.

Also, except for opening round area effects, I think it's most effective to save encounter & daily powers to use against bloodied foes -- so hit that critter at least once first! That way if it is a minion, you don't use powers you'd prefer to save for tougher foes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads