Half-baked rotating DM idea

francisca

I got dice older than you.
OK, so I'm currently running a 1e greyhawk campaign. Enjoying it greatly. However, I don't want to give up 3.5 altogether. (I had decided last fall to give up DMing 3.5 for several reasons, which are irrelevent to this topic.)

So I have this idea of finding 4 other DMs who are running long-term campaigns, who are looking for a chance to play once in a while. The group would meet once a month, for 4-6 hours and run a one-shot. Two weeks prior, the DM for the upcoming session would announce what level of characters are needed, and what material is allowed for character generation. the players would have one week to hash out the party and submit the characters to be approved by the DM. The group would then meet, run the adventure the DM provided (either self-written or culled from published material), and the following month, the cycle would repeat, with a different person being the DM.

Anyone else out there doing this? Sound like a decent idea?

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
I'm thinking that when I wrap up my current campaign, I'll launch a 3.5 (or possibly Iron Lore) Eberron/Spelljammer saga. The gimmick being that I would GM while the party is initially on Eberron and then any time they're in space, but each player who wanted to would be able to GM individual planets.

So, say one player wanted to run the party through the Iron Kingdoms - I would structure a sweeping Spelljammer saga that snuck the stars to Ferrouspace and required them to touch down on Caen. Then we'd spend as many sessions as it took to get his adventure done (probably 5-6), during which I would be a PC, perhaps the ship's captain from their Spelljammer adventures.

When they wrapped up that quest, they'd hop back aboard their vessel and sail for parts unknown - Rokugan, the Realms, Krynn (moved to a different sphere by the events of the Chaos War, of course), Midnight, Azeroth, back to Eberron, even a homebrew - whatever the next player volunteered to run.

While the players were prepping their adventures, I'd give them plenty to worry about in the depths of wildspace, but playing Spelljammer would allow us to get to any campaign world in just a few sessions.

I think it would be a blast.

Remove ads