Half my weekly group has had COVID

Status
Not open for further replies.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
No special message here, just felt that this was a situation that warranted telling someone, and the only people who might be even remotely interested (outside the group itself) are here.

Based on this, you seem to understand that people, such as the posters of ENWorld, can have empathy for those who are not in their immediate community.

And yet the rest of your posting show a stunning lack of empathy for the community you live in. During a global pandemic wearing a mask, limiting social gatherings, and staying 6 feet away from others is not about keeping yourself safe. I mean, you got COVID, so it's too late for that. It's about keeping your community safe. You personally did not outrun this virus, but you can actually keep it away from others.

I am sorry, but this is sophistry promulgated by people who don't know how to read medical reports, and desperately want to dismiss what's going on. Saying this is roughly like saying, "People don't die from smoking - they die from lung cancer."

Let us take an example to demonstrate - diabetes. Today, with modern medicine, a person can live many happy, productive, fulfilling decades, and weather many other health problems, while having diabetes.

However, Covid-19 and diabetes do not interact well at all. If a diabetic gets covid-19, chances are too high that, while in hospital for the covid-19, their diabetes will become massively uncontrolled, beyond the ability of doctors to manage, and they will crash and die. And the report on the death will list the fact that they had covid-19, and that they had a diabetic crash. Because doctors need to record everything that went on.

But, if they hadn't had covid, they'd have lived decades. Ergo, the covid is the real cause of death. Because diabetes would not have killed them today otherwise.

If you die in the middle of the road, one could say that you died of blunt force trauma to the head and internal bleeding. But that would be misleading, because the full story is that you got hit by a drunk driver.

Don't accept the misleading view.

Sorry, I've read more autopsy reports than anyone here.

But it doesn't matter. We shall continue as we have, and you will as you have.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Sorry, I've read more autopsy reports than anyone here.

But it doesn't matter. We shall continue as we have, and you will as you have.
You have no idea if this is the case. But okay. Declare you know all of us as much as you like.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If COVID was as bad as the media bills, my county would be burying homeless people in trenches. Instead, none of the area hospitals has had a full ICU in 2020.

There's a logical fallacy here, effectively of cherry-picking. "It doesn't happen HERE, so it is not happening at all." The fact is that infectious diseases do not automatically spread evenly and consistently over large areas - some places can be hit harder than others at various times. Diseases ebb and flow through populations.

Never trust statistics which are tied to funding, or which are quoted by media outlets selling sensation.

We cannot fully explore this assertion due to our no-politics rules. I question your implication that the real driver of misinformation here is money going to health care providers.

There's a logical fallacy here, effectively of cherry-picking. "It doesn't happen HERE, so it is not happening at all." The fact is that infectious diseases do not automatically spread evenly and consistently over large areas - some places can be hit harder than others at various times. Diseases ebb and flow through populations.

We cannot fully explore this assertion due to our no-politics rules. I question your implication that the real driver of misinformation here is money going to health care providers.

I didn't say that it went to health care providers. Most of the money the Feds are doling out goes to local governments. It's a matter of public record.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I’m going to close this for obvious reasons.

Folks, please follow health guidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads