• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half-Ogre ECL+1???

RandomNPC

First Post
I was going through the savage species book and found in the new races a half-ogre, a race with slightly unbalanced stats, natural armor and reach, but only an ECL of +1. Early in the book it states that each of those traits are worth +1 ECL, is there an errata i missed? Do I have a misprinted copy?

Numion

First Post
RandomNPC said:
I was going through the savage species book and found in the new races a half-ogre, a race with slightly unbalanced stats, natural armor and reach, but only an ECL of +1. Early in the book it states that each of those traits are worth +1 ECL, is there an errata i missed? Do I have a misprinted copy?

I heard Rich Redman had errataed it to ECL +2. My estimate is between +1 and +2, but I'd have to playtest it to be sure.

Pax

Banned
Banned
IMC, I've left it at Level Adjustment +1.

However, I also give it 2 HD as a Giant ... making it an ECL 3 race at minimum.

Note, that is precisely half of what an Ogre gets (4HD as a Giant, and +2 LA, for a starting ECL of 6 or more).

The Giant HD aren't as efficient as Fighter or Barbarian HD, so there's a small built-in "half a Level Adjustment" loss in there, IMO.

kreynolds

First Post
RandomNPC said:
Do I have a misprinted copy?

<rant>Yup. Every single one of 'em is misprinted. See, they put this ECL "system" in the book, but it's not really a system. It's 10% math, 15% guess-work, and 75% playtesting. Something along those lines. I like savage species for everything _but_ the ECL recommendations.</rant>

My recommendation? Use a different guide (i.e., Soldarin's or Upper_Krust's).

Iku Rex

Explorer
Re: Re: Half-Ogre ECL+1???

kreynolds said:
<rant>Yup. Every single one of 'em is misprinted. See, they put this ECL "system" in the book, but it's not really a system. It's 10% math, 15% guess-work, and 75% playtesting. Something along those lines. I like savage species for everything _but_ the ECL recommendations.</rant>
The SS approach:
1. Carefully work out an ECL using the rules presented in the book.
2. Decide on an ECL on your own by "eyeballing it".
3. Adjust the result from (1) so that it matches the result from (2). This is called "the acid test".

:)

As for the OP:

Of all the "solutions," I like the 2HD proposal the best. That would give the half-ogre and ECL of 3, which is half of an ogre's ECL and in keeping with the character. -- Rich Redman

http://boards.wizards.com/rpg/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=231;t=000243

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads